Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #1
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
My First Year of Towing

We completed our first maiden voyage in our Monty. Our trip started in May of 2009 by having the 2005 Montana 2955RL which I had bought in February delivered to the Sea Breeze RV Park at the Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station. Our first order of business was to transfer all our stuff from the 990 Artic Fox slide in camper which we used yearly since 2001 in Mexico and during our trips North to the border. What a difference, my wife Annie now had so much more room that I just knew her next plan was to shop for more stuff so she could fill up all the cabinets, closet and storage areas. After off loading and selling the camper I was off to the RV dealers to have my hitch installed, Annie was off to the mall.

My break in to towing a fifth wheel was the trip North to the gold country of Northern California to meet friends. Heading down the hill on Hwy 49, I lost trailer brakes. After a few scary moments we pulled in to the campsite and I was able to find and fix the problem before we ventured further. On the way out of the campsite I managed to knock off the lower front awning support and put a gashing hole in the side of the Monty where the support was bolted. I guess that’s what happens when you tell your wife to “shut up I see the pole” but I didn’t see or clear the pole on her side. Back to the camp ground for some damage control repairs and then we were off again to Washington State. The rest of my trip through Oregon, Washington , Idaho, California, Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico was pretty uneventful and I managed to repair the gash so you don’t even notice the repair.

10K miles later we are back to Puerto Vallarta Mexico, our winter home. The tow through Mexico from Nogales Arizona was a little slower but the roads are good. The Monty with the Morryde suspension upgrade I had the dealer install performed great over the numerous speed bumps (topes) we encountered.

My Monty is now comfortably sitting at my work shop and storage area. I will be busy installing my wet bolt system, the wife’s washer dryer and a few other creature comforts. I just can’t wait for May 2010 so we head north again, maybe full timing starting in December 2010 when that social security check starts.

I want to thank MOC web page and all the members which have provided information on repairs, maintenance and other topics which have help me greatly during this summer. I have lived here since 1987 and have numerous trips north and south in a 33 foot Motorhome and my camper. If any of the members need information on towing in Mexico please feel free to contact me. Mexico is getting very fifth wheel friendly and we are seeing more and more fifth wheel trailers arriving in Puerto Vallarta.

Thanks to All,

Tony

PS: Can anyone tell me how to post a picture on this site?

tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Tony,
Good post, hope the many future trips are uneventful in terms of surprises. Here is a link on the use of photos:
http://www.montanaowners.com/AddingPhoto.html
Hope this helps.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
Thanks for the help on the picture posting.
tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote