Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2008, 05:54 AM   #1
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Packing out for first time - checklist

So, the manager of the RV park I'm staying in has informed me a better lot may finally be opening up. (The one I am in is kinda bad, really cramped for a monty and hardly any grass for the dogs, and the sewer hose set up isn't too good). This means besides finding someone to move my RV for me I've gotta pack it up for the first time even though it's only being towed one street over, lol.

I want to do as much of the pack up as I can myself, so I don't look quite as dumb, lol. Since I am new and this will be my first time, I need help making sure I know what I am doing. Will you guys look over this list and tell me if I am forgetting something?

So far, this is what I plan to do:

*Turn both propane tanks to "off".

*Disconnect cable at the RV.

*Disconnect water hose at RV and outlet, toss in cargo.

*Disconnect sewer line at RV, walk it down to the outlet to make sure it's empty, put it in sewer hose receptacle on RV. Hope I don't get poop on me. I'm not going to bother with putting the cap back on the sewer since it's just down the road, less time bent under there as possible is better for my back.

*Disconnect the electrical cord at both ends, put it in cargo.

*I don't have a phone so there is no phone to disconnect.

*Go inside, move stuff around and pack up a bit so that there is nothing in the way of where the slides will come in. Since I am only going down the street I don't plan to secure things, for example I was just going to put the dog crate on the couch, etc.

*Check for anything breakable or roll-able that is loose.

Edited to add: *Close and LATCH shower and closet doors

Edited to add: *Make sure antennae is down.

Edited to add: *Make sure vent lids are down.

*Go outside and figure out how to get a look at the tops of the slides to make sure they are clear of debris (I am under a tree, I figure this is important) - Any tips on how to safely get a look at them? I'm afraid to climb up the ladder and walk on the roof, having essentially no balance.

*Fold up dog exercise pens that are acting as a fence and put in cargo

*Double check that everything is disconnected, turned off, and clear of debris

*Put dogs in car

*Bring slides in

*Wait for whoever I hire to move my RV to do the rest? LOL I have a tripod that I don't know how to take off safely for sure. The guy that delivered my RV put it on for me without me knowing about it to be nice, which I appreciated but that means I don't know how to get it off, either. So I'll let the guy I hire (probably a different guy I have no idea who it is) to move the RV for me take the tripod off, and obviously I'll let him do the landing gear since that comes after it's hitched. Right?

blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Blamb,

One of the things we've learned in our short six years of RVing is that RVers are the greatest bunch of folks you're likely to ever run into. It has been a very pleasant surprise. It shouldn't have been since most folks are very nice and helpful.

If it were me I'd trust someone who has a truck in the park to move it. Your insurance should cover any damage if there should be any. Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about......

A year ago or so we were going to our Rally in Lake Siskiyou. One of our members pickup broke down a couple of hours from the Rally. So one of the members that had already setup camp jumped in his truck and drove the two hours down and back to tow their rig to the CG! And he was simply the fastest. There were several others of us who were more than willing to do the same thing.

I think you'll find RVers to be very trustworthy folks.

As far as the preparation for the move.... it sounds like you've covered everything. Much better than we were the first couple of times! Make sure the water is out of your water hose before you store it in basement.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
couple of things I see to add to your list. Rear stabilizers up and TV antenna down.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Doh! Things that stick up. Thank you!!! I will probably leave the stabilizers up to the tower, since that is part of the whole hitching thing.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
closet doors and shower door closed and latched...... sliding door also latched if you have one in your model between bedroom and living area.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
blamb, even though you are just moving one street over, I would not be too complacent about securing things. The term "moving projectiles" comes to mind. A quick stop or turn and chaos takes over.....Please be careful with that beautiful new Montana. I do hope your move goes well and you end up in a better place.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
As Phil said a move 10 feet should be packed the same as a trip across the states. If it moves and breaks something then it is too late.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I hope you are using vinyle or rubber gloves while handling the sewer hose and all parts of it sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
blamb,

We are in south OKC. We have a 3400RL and are waiting for our Big Sky. If you want, my wife and I would be happy to move your rig. And, we'll look to see that everything is packed the way it should. Let us know.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Michael and Kathy,

You guys are everywhere! That is awfully nice of you but then that is nothing new for you guys!

Dennis
Old 12-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Michael & Kathy,

Way to go!

MOC to the rescue again.

Semper Fi!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #12
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Blamb My worst RV spill experience was a carton of milk in the fridge. We had simply moved to the dump station as the provincial park we were in did not have serviced sites. When we got back I opened the fridge door to get a cold one and the milk spilled out. What a mess in the fridge and then the carpet edge had to be rinsed to prevent the sour milk spill. I am sure all have a similar story to tell. Of course none will match the "Icehouse" great sewer system freeze-up.

MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #13
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

blamb,

We are in south OKC. We have a 3400RL and are waiting for our Big Sky. If you want, my wife and I would be happy to move your rig. And, we'll look to see that everything is packed the way it should. Let us know.
That would be wonderful! I'll PM you.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #14
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Be sure to clear the counter and table tops or be sure to have non skid under the stuff on the counters/table tops. If you have table lamps take them down and lay them on their sides. (I actually take off the lamp shades and then lay the two lamps and shades on the floor between the dining table/chairs and wall of slide out to minimize roll potential.

If you have open shelf above toilet with "stuff" on it take it down.

Oh, don't know your layout, but I ALWAYS take everything off of the bed side shelves and dresser and put it in the center of the bed so there is little to no chance of something falling and getting in the way of the slide out.

Don't forget to secure the t.v. in the bedroom if you have one there.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #15
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Thanks to everyone for all their helpful messages!

And an especially big THANK YOU to Michael and Kathy (snfexpress) - they were WONDERFUL people to meet and get to know today, very very nice. They both worked SO hard to help me get moved over to another lot, especially Michael who went to so much work, and even came back to fix a leveling issue for me and worked hard a second time. For someone in my situation it means a lot, I probably wouldn't have been able to get it done any other way, at least not nearly as well. It ended up there were no neighbors that could/would help, and the dealership I contacted never got back to me. So I am eternally grateful. Everyone is right, MOC folk are awesome, and I hope I fit the bill someday too, lol.

I am all set up, I LOVE my new lot, and nothing bad happened, no bad luck! which I am amazed at. It's about time something didn't go wrong, lol. :P
Old 12-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #16
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
blamb,

With your incredible personality and determination, there is no doubt in our minds that when we return to Norman, OK, you will be the owner of your park, and you will have had many notches in your belt, indicative of the many people you have helped...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:08 PM   #17
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Michael and Kathy,

Thank you. You make us all look good by your helping fellow MOCers. You are "Paying it so far forward" that we'll never be able to catch up.

Thank you for all you did for Blamb.

Dennis
Old 12-07-2008, 03:27 AM   #18
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Michael and Kathy,
What a great thing you two have done for blamb, your act of kindness is what it is all about. Happy Holidays to you two.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:43 AM   #19
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Michael and Kathy,
Way to go! You exemplify what MOC is all about...caring people helping others. Proud of you and thankful that you were willing and able to help blamb get relocated and situated. Very nice!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote