Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Using EZ Jack with Mor/Ryde suspension

Is it OK to use an EZ Jack with the Mor/Ryde suspension?

I tried to call Mor/Ryde to get their recommendations, but just missed them as they are on EST. I suppose that I will try them again tomorrow, just to get it from the horses mouth.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
So long as they are rated to carry the axles weight I would see no reason why they wouldn't work.

The above are from Cabella's and are rated for 20,000#

The above are rated at 4,000#

Google "EZ Jack" to find many different jacks at various weight ratings and prices.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I got the one from Cabela's that Glenn shows first. Fortunately, I haven't needed to use it since I bought it. I will be interested to see what Mor Ryde says, but I would doubt they have a problem.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:23 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Ron, Just a question. Since you already have them, How well do you think these same EZ Jacks would work when leveling the rig side to side?

HHHMMMMMMmmmmmmmm
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Well, I gave Mor/Ryde a call today and asked if it was OK to use an EZ Jack on their Mor/Ryde RE suspension.

He told me it would be best to jack the rig up using the frame, and that using a jack directly on the axle could damage it, as the axle was just a fairly thin tube. At that point, I realized that he had no clue what the EZ Jack was, ....or how it worked.

I described, to the best of my ability, what it was and how it worked. He then said that he could see no reason why it would not be OK.

I think that I will attempt to get this in writing from them at this point. I still am not convinced that putting half of the 5ers wheel weight on one axle and leaf spring is safe for the rubber components, or even safe for the axle itself.

Bear with me here, while I cogitate this through.

My thinking here is that each end of each axle (each wheel essentially) is designed to carry 3,500 lbs, given a 5er with two 7,000lb axles. Then, hypothetically figuring said 5er at 15,500 lbs. with a 2,500 lb. pin weight, that leaves 13,000 lbs. on the wheels. Assuming the weight is distributed evenly between all four wheels would make 6,500 lbs. on each side of the 5er. So, when you roll up on the EZ Jack, you are putting 6,500 lbs. on one half, (3,500 lbs. of a 7,000 lb. axle) of the axle, and on one tire that is rated to 3,420 lbs. That is roughly 3,000 lbs over the rating of both the tire, and the axle. I realize that there is some fudge factor designed into the weight ratings, but I'm also pretty sure it is not an 86% fudge factor.

Your thoughts on this please.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I'm no expert but I see no reason why you couldn't use the E-Z Jack. For years we've pulled one wheel up on a block while we removed the flat and replaced it with the spare.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
I had a blowout of a Nankang tire two weekends ago. I have something similar to your jack. You just back up on it. My experience was that it made no difference although I thought it actually dropped the front axle where the flat was. I now have got rid of all chinese tires and bought five Michelin XPS Ribs. They feel great but are not cheap. I suppose you get what you pay for. My chinese tires were manufactured in 1999; the Michelin's in 2008. Our trailer is a 2007 Montana 3485SA. I admit that I was not as prepared for the flat as I thought I was.
I would not buy one of those things based on my experince. Just get a good bottle jack will do the job.
LCarter
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #8
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
In another thread, balancing the wheels is discussed. I'd have to jack up one or both sides of the Monty to get them off. Without having weighed the landing gear, but assuming they take half the weight (I will weigh this for real), then the other half is on the tandem axles. Assuming 16,000lbs GVW, then we have 4,000lbs per axle, 8,000lbs for the pair. Could I put a standard telescopic jack of appropriate rating (>4,000 for one side) under the centre post of the tandem assembly (where the leaf springs both connect)?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:25 AM   #9
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
In a four point trailer suspension on a perfectly flat surface with the load perfectly centered over the suspension then each point theoretically should carry 1/4 of the load. The problem is rarely is perfect found in real life. The equalizers' function is to transfer load from one axle to the other to counteract imbalance caused by braking, acceleration and a limited amount of uneven vertical alignment. When vertical alignment exceeds the equalizer's range of compensation the higher point starts to take more of the load. Continue to lift that point and the higher point will eventually take all the load on one side and lift the trailer. This is not a good thing. I have used the roll and lift jack on large dual axle military trucks. Since it was possible to lift the axle enough to remove the wheel without exceeding the equalizers (in this case torsion bar) vertical compensation limit the lifter was simply substituting for the wheel as a point on the 4 point rear suspension. I assume that the same applies to using a roll jack on a trailer axle. Assuming the use of safety jacks, my only concern would be the axle tubes ability to take the load concentrated on its wall in a very small area. I think I would err on the safe side and take the weight on the frame using a hydraulic jack and then a frame stand or blocking. I would then use a small hydraulic jack to lift the axle. An axle stand under the axle once the wheel was clear of the ground and I am in my safety comfort zone.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
What is a "roll jack" and how would you lift the axle with it? I appreciate the point about taking the load on the axle tube wall.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:04 PM   #11
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I think Roger is referring to the EZ Jack - it rolls as the trailer is backed or pulled onto it. Roger, I tried using the hydraulic jack one time. the ground was soft and it started to tip - not in my comfort zone. Granted, it would work well on flat, hard ground, but I had two cases of vandalism and both times I used board to raise one wheel. That's why I got the EZ Jack.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:09 AM   #12
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
I used a device that works like the easy jack on by Montana to adjust the brakes. After the next trip all four tires were wearing on the inside. Long story short, I had to replace both axles as a result. I believe you would be wise to reconsider these unless the axle is rated to hold the total weight that would be placed on it.
rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:51 AM   #13
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Further to my previous. My experience is with single and dual axle MH's and various dual and triple axle trailers and trucks. This is the rig I bought for my own Montana 3585SA.

I use a 20 ton capacity bottle jack with a large flat serrated saddle to lift the frame. I have seen people use a piece of steel channel to spread the load on the frame but, to me, this is not necessary and only introduces another thing that can slip. The extra cost for the big capacity bottle jack was worth it to get the larger base and lifting saddle as well as greater travel. I use a piece of 2X10 softwood on soft ground to reduce settle. Once the frame is lifted to the point that the weight is off the wheel I put a 4 ton jack stand under the frame again resting on a piece of 2X10. I then use a small 2 ton floor jack to raise the axle as close to the wheel as possible and only enough to give about 1" of ground clearance for the inflated wheel. Settling is not a problem as only the weight of the wheel and spring sag is being lifted. Another jack stand goes under the axle once the lift is completed. I now have a stable axle and frame to work with and safety support should a jack slip of otherwise fail. Note: I settle the frame onto the stand just enough to spread the load between the jack and stand before I lift the axle. I do the same for the axle. The two jacks and jack stands cost about $C150.00. That is pretty cheap for a lot of piece of mind.

I am no expert or engineer so this is only offered as the way I do things. My staff tell me I am over-cautious. I take that as a compliment
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #14
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
MacDR50,

That sounds like a good, safe procedure for lifting one 5er tire without putting undue strain on the frame, axles, and tires.

Thanks for the input!