Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
brakes

for the life of me i can't remember what type of brakes the dealer said are on our new 3465sa 10th anniversary Monty. electric or hydraulic?
didn't pick it up yet and don't want any issues. if i remember correctly the prodigy P3 is for electric/hydraulic and the Prodigy for electric.
i have the Prodigy am i good?

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I do not know of any hydraulic on Montana. So your Prodigy should be fine. Coming off the line. Some have added after they took possession.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Right and I still do not consider having hydraulic as a benefit - improvement as you then rely on additional devices to translate brake pressure into hydraulic pressure...I work in high tech...but believe in KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)...so maybe I'm just stupid.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
wasn't asking for whats better, just what it had for a braking system. i agree dumbed down is better
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by noneck

Right and I still do not consider having hydraulic as a benefit - improvement as you then rely on additional devices to translate brake pressure into hydraulic pressure...I work in high tech...but believe in KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)...so maybe I'm just stupid.
KISS? Ok good bye door locks, power windows,A/C, power steering, automatic transmission etc.. g
BTW I do have disc brakes.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hahaha...uncle...you win Bigmurf...I use those all the time, but don't expect them to stop my Big White Road Whale. I should know better then to stick out my big fat neck for you all to cut 'er off!
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Noneck,

You have a right to your opinion. You have your reasons for holding that opinion and you stated them. I don't think you have to quit stating your opinion just because someone else disagrees. I fail to see where power steering vs. manual is comparable to hydraulic vs. electric. I use electric, but I don't care whether someone else wants hydraulic.

In regard to the original question, I copied this from the Prodigy site:

Quote:
quote:Q.) Will the Prodigy® work with Electric-Hydraulic Brakes?A.) Tekonsha® brake controls are designed to operate electric brakes that are activated by magnets. They have not been tested for the use on electric/hydraulic brake systems. Please contact the manufacturer of the hydraulic control unit for their recommendations.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:56 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have litte different opinion on the Prodigy working the electric over the Hydraulic. Back in 2006 we had the Disk Brakes installed by Mor/Ryde in Elkhart. I was ask by Mor/Ryde tech what brake controler I was using, I told them it was a Prodigy, they replyed thats great they are the only controler that works on the electric over Hydraulic brakes. I never had a problem and the Dish Brakes were awesome. I now have a (SOB) that has electric over Hydraulic and had the IBC on the 2008 Chevy, it didn't work and had to have a Prodigy installed. Tenkonsha now has the P-3 and is for electric over hydraulic. It can be switched back and forth, I do plan to get the P-3. Disk brakes are the best, its like night and day difference and I highly recomend them. You can stop the Truck and 5th wheel with just the Disk brakes on the 5er. I also recomend Mor/Ryde for the upgrade. Our (SOB) has the Disk Brakes as standard equipment. Good Luck with your choice. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
corncob
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8226
My 2008 3465 SA has electric brakes and the Prodigy is the better unit for it.
corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:11 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As far as I know, all Montanas have always come with electric brakes. I could be wrong but I've never seen anything to indicate they're anything but electric.

I have the P3. It is advertised as being able to handle electric over hydraulic. And one of the options you set on a new P3 is whether your brakes are electric or electric over hydraulic. The standard Prodigy does not have that option and does not mention in any of the literature that it can handle the hydraulic brakes, unless possibly the newest ones have added that option. I doubt it since they came out with the P3 for that purpose. I've had both the Prodigy and this P3. The P3 is essentially the Prodigy with a new face and the hydraulic option. Both are good choices for the Montana.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote