Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Need a softer landing

One week ago today, Victoria was bringing two cups of coffee out of the camper when she spilled some of the coffee on her hand, lost her balance and fell all the way forward to the ground - about a 35 inch fall. She landed on concrete patio squares causing two shattered wrists, a shattered left elbow and both ligaments torn from her elbow. She was airlifted to a trauma center in Scottsdale where she had three surgeries to get things back in order.

From now on we are traveling with a couple of gel mats that can be placed at the bottom of the stairs just because things happen. Many of us who travel in our fivers are retired and then some so anything we can do to prevent the bad results from the inevitable falls can only help. Victoria will have six weeks of recovery - luckily we are back in our regular house while she heals -- and she wishes this suggestion may save someone else a similar ordeal.
Regards
Dave and Victoria

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Sorry to hear about Victoria's fall. Hope her recovery goes well.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Dave - we are both wishing Victoria a speedy and complete recovery.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave we are sorry to hear about Victoria fall and hope she has a speedy recovery. Dave as you know we had a Cambridge (Great 5er) however the top step was about the only thing I didn't like. I also fell out of the Cambridge two different times. I was very lucky, didn't have any injuries. I just jumped up to see if anyone was looking. Good Luck to you both.... And we know you will take good care of her. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Hope Victoria has a speedy recovery.
Are the gel mats you got the same as a chef's mat or something different. DW has slipped a couple of times and after reading about Victoria's experience, I agree that something for a soft landing would be good to have.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Sorry to hear of your mishap and hope you recover fully and quickly. This spring, my 72 y/o sister fell exiting my fiver and landed on a dirt mount outside and fractured 5 ribs. These things are a little on the dangerous side. Thanks for a great idea for a landing zone...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Sorry to hear of Victoria's fall. Prayers are going up for her fast recovery.

Orv & Marge
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dave,

I am so sorry to hear of Victoria's injury! How awful. Please let her know we hope she recovers quickly and painlessly.
Please tell us more about the gel mats or post a picture. I'd be interested to know more about what you're talking about.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We are soooooo sorry to hear about this. We will send forth as many good vibes as we can muster up.

Feel better RIGHT soon!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Thanks all for all of the kind words.
The gel mats are also called chef mats. They are only about 3/4 inch thick but a lot better surface than concrete, rocks or even hard ground. We plan to use a double thickness. The ones we have are in our kitchen at home. Vikki got them from a cooking supply catalog. Certainly not cheap at over $100.00 for an 18x30 inch pad. But much cheaper than a $22,000.00 helicopter ride etc., etc.
Anyway, please travel and camp safe
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Victoria, we are so sorry to hear about your fall and surgeries. We pray for your speedy recovery and are glad that you're home for your recovery.

We've heard of several incidents like this and have made a promise to ourselves that we will always use the handgrip when going down the stairs. Falls out of RVs seem to really take their toll on people with some amazingly serious injuries.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
we are so sorry to hear of Victoria's accident. We wish for a speedy recovery. I guess there is some advantage to being disabled because I always go down holding on and never take anything with me.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Sorry to hear of Victoria's fall. We will pray for a speedy recovery. We had my 76 year old parents with us in our coach for a few days. I helped my mom in and out everytime as she is a little wobbly.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
God's speed on the mending process. So very sorry to hear about the fall.

I find it easier going down backwards, it's more natural and if I fall, there's a lot of padding back there if you know what I mean.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #15
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I made a set of wood steps that come apart for travel. I only set them up if we are staying for a couple of weeks. They sure feel better than the OEM steps.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:01 PM   #16
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Oh wow, after Dianna's broken leg and flight from Toronto to Houston for surgery, you have our understanding and empathy. It seemed impossible at the time, but with the help of friends and prayers of the MOCers and others, we made it through to recovery.

Today, we climbed trails and visited the Custer Battlefield. Dianna managed the event 10 months after the fall. I report this to say hang in there. Better times are ahead. Hope you never need the softer landing again.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:02 AM   #17
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
We are very sorry to hear about this and will pray for a speedy recovery.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:39 AM   #18
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I can relate to this quite well. I also fell out of the camper and now have a bionic leg. I think my shoe hooked on the little ledge and out I went. I broke my left lower leg in three places. I am now the proud owner of one clamp and one plate and fourteen screws and all in the left leg. I keep telling everyone that Mary pushed me but no one believes me. Victoria and I can say "Just be careful as we think it won't happen to us". Believe me it was so fast that it happened.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote