Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #1
KEG
Established Member

M.O.C. #9790
Route Help 1st Time Heading West

Hello All,

Will be heading West for the first time ever and will be towing a 40 foot 5ver with Ford 2017 350 6.7 deisel dually. Coming from the Chicago area.

Would greatly appreciate your route advice on the following three legs of our trip:

1). From Rafter J Bar Ranch Campground in South Dakota Mount Rushmore area to Cody Wyoming staying at the Cody KOA.

2) From Cody WY KOA to West Yellowstone MT staying at the Yellowstone Park / Mountainside KOA.

3). From the West Yellowstone Mountainside KOA to Jackson WY / Jackson Hole area staying at the Fireside RV Resort Wilson Wyoming.

Would greatly appreciate everyone's input.

Thanking everyone in advance for your input, advice and experiences!!

KEG

KEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
You are in for a real treat on your trip. Fabulous scenery at all your destinations. Been awhile since we went into Yellowstone from this far North. From Rushmore to Cody I'd go north to I-90 then pick up 14 out of Buffalo to Cody. Not a terrible run. Last time we left Cody in to Yellowstone we went through the park. That was with a 24 foot travel trailer. It was doable but some white knuckle driving. I would not pull the 5'er through the east entrance to West Yellowstone. I think if I was to do it today I would go back up 14A, mountainous but great road, to I-90 and come back down to West Yellowstone from the north. From West Yellowstone to Wilson go right through the park. Little slow but all good road and the scenery through the park & Teton's is fabulous. Just did it last October for the fourth time and it never gets old.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
While in Cody the Cody Museum is a must see. It’s 5 Museums in one. The first time I was in Wyoming 2 separate friends told me I had to see the Cody Museum. I thought to please them I’d spend 15 minutes in the Museum. I was in the museum for 2 days.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #4
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
We have a 40 footer as well and after two trips to YS I have decided that I will only pull it through the west and south YS entries. Took the TV to all four gates and the paths to the N and E gates have some parts that I did not feel I wanted to even think about pulling the rig through. (To put into perspective I was totally comfortable pulling up and over Teton pass for last years spring rally).
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:12 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’ve pulled my 36 foot HC from the Cody to the west entrance from Dubois through the Tetons and out every entrance and every main road in the park would not hesitate to do it with any camper made. It’s no trouble. September I think is the best time to see Yellowstone. The crowds are gone the elk are out. The ones the wolves haven’t ate.
Lynwood
Old 03-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Been to Yellowstone probably 5 times in the last 10 years. Unless you are experienced stay away from 14A in Wyoming. My 'Mountainous Driving' book calls this road the 'Oh My God!' road. There are 8 miles at 8% grade and then just to let you know that isn't bad, there is then 10 miles of 10% grade. Better going up than down tho!!!
However, I would recommend seeing Devils Tower on the way, and then take 14 or 16 thru the Big Horns (My favorite place in the west) on the way to Cody. I think hiway 16 is Shell Canyon - a very pretty drive. Unfortunately the driver doesn't get to see all the scenery (ask my how I know) because you can't really take your eyes off the road too long out west.
As for the east Yellowstone entrance - I don't consider it challenging at all, but I DO like hills and curves. Yes the other 3 side have a little more level roads, but the east side should not be scary.
And be advised about the KOA (if my memory is right), it is kind of out of town. Seems like each park in Cody has something at least slightly wrong with it - none have everything I want.
But I love Wyoming and my cousin lives in Powell (20 miles from Cody).

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:02 PM   #7
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEG View Post
Hello All,

Will be heading West for the first time ever and will be towing a 40 foot 5ver with Ford 2017 350 6.7 deisel dually. Coming from the Chicago area.

Would greatly appreciate your route advice on the following three legs of our trip:

1). From Rafter J Bar Ranch Campground in South Dakota Mount Rushmore area to Cody Wyoming staying at the Cody KOA.

2) From Cody WY KOA to West Yellowstone MT staying at the Yellowstone Park / Mountainside KOA.

3). From the West Yellowstone Mountainside KOA to Jackson WY / Jackson Hole area staying at the Fireside RV Resort Wilson Wyoming.

Would greatly appreciate everyone's input.

Thanking everyone in advance for your input, advice and experiences!!

KEG
All good advise. We go to Yellowstone/Grand Teton almost every year. I don't have a problem with the east entrance. Never been on WY 14A.

2) I would go through the park instead of trying to go around; that would be lots of extra miles. Just be ready for traffic and slow downs; take your time an enjoy.

3) From West Yellowstone, through Yellowstone and Grand Teton to Wilson.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:31 AM   #8
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
X2 on going through Yellowstone. Depending on the time of year you may not even have much traffic holding you up. Last time in Yellowstone we were in our 39' Montana and it was not problem.

Yellowstone and Tetons are great, but we will make our return trip west in 2019 and spend all of our time in the Black Hills. We camped close to Deadwood last year and spent a week. Between Custer State Park, Rushmore, Needles, and other attractions we could have easily spent a month.

Safe travels and you are in for a real treat IMHO!!!!!
Old 03-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I agree Devils Tower is a place you should see and there is a nice CC there in plane view of Devils Tower.
Lynwood
Old 03-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #10
slangvel
Established Member

M.O.C. #21356
Send a message via AIM to slangvel Send a message via MSN to slangvel Send a message via Yahoo to slangvel
Been to Rafter J Bar Ranch several times, we feel it is the best campground in the Black Hills. The only hair raising route that I have taken in the Yellowstone area is Dead Indian Pass. Enjoy your travel and Rafter.
slangvel is offline   Reply With Quote