Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2019, 05:08 AM   #1
RBuffordTJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25467
Heated water hose

I purchased one of these blue sheathed heated water supply lines from CamCo and will be hooking it up in a few days when I return from a short trip to see my kid in TN.

Question: is it best to (or even ok) to insulate this hose with standard foam pipe insulation? I am planning to add it to the line and tape it up.

Thanks in advance.

RBuffordTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:35 AM   #2
rnelan
Established Member

M.O.C. #25153
Hey there, our temps dipped to 27 last night and our blue heated hose was fine.. BUT.. I also have skirted the house with 1" foamboard insulation from Lowes.. While the outside temp was 27, under the skirt it was 45.. So, take what you will from this.. From the hose bib to the house the Camco hose did fine.. OH, also.. I have a heat tape plugged in and wrapped around the hose bib to prevent it from freezing also.
rnelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:57 AM   #3
RBuffordTJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25467
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelan View Post
Hey there, our temps dipped to 27 last night and our blue heated hose was fine.. BUT.. I also have skirted the house with 1" foamboard insulation from Lowes.. While the outside temp was 27, under the skirt it was 45.. So, take what you will from this.. From the hose bib to the house the Camco hose did fine.. OH, also.. I have a heat tape plugged in and wrapped around the hose bib to prevent it from freezing also.
Good to know, I don't like the thought of it just exposed to the sun, water, frost and such is all. I will be dealing with the hose bib too thanks for the reminder.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBuffordTJ View Post
I purchased one of these blue sheathed heated water supply lines from CamCo and will be hooking it up in a few days when I return from a short trip to see my kid in TN.

Question: is it best to (or even ok) to insulate this hose with standard foam pipe insulation? I am planning to add it to the line and tape it up.

Thanks in advance.
I have the same hose and it works great parked at the S&B. Clearly, I unplug it when warm weather - Like after last night, we will not see a freeze again til next Tuesday night.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:34 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We've used that hose and also a Pirit. Don't cover or insulate either and we've been full timing for 9 years now and they're both still good. Temps have gotten down to single digits and never had an issue with them.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #6
RBuffordTJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25467
Great, thank you all for the information. This is all brand new to me.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
I have the same hose and it works great parked at the S&B. Clearly, I unplug it when warm weather - Like after last night, we will not see a freeze again til next Tuesday night.
You don't have to unplug them. They have a thermostat built in that will turn them on and off.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #8
gregory1946

M.O.C. #13557
The hose is rated to -20F, so wrapping it with anything is a waste of money. Do wrap the bibs, though, and make sure the thermistor is open to outside air.
gregory1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:47 AM   #9
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
I had one of those Camco blue heated hoses and every time I went to use it, it was about as stiff as copper pipe. I tried running hot water through it before trying to uncoil it and it had little effect. It was so stiff that I was afraid I was going to crack the hose and cause a leak! So what do you think of it and how do you like it? My conclusion was that it was meant for seasonal full-time use and needed to be set up on a warm sunny day!
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:21 PM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodellj View Post
I had one of those Camco blue heated hoses and every time I went to use it, it was about as stiff as copper pipe. I tried running hot water through it before trying to uncoil it and it had little effect. It was so stiff that I was afraid I was going to crack the hose and cause a leak! So what do you think of it and how do you like it? My conclusion was that it was meant for seasonal full-time use and needed to be set up on a warm sunny day!

Maybe just bring it inside where the heat is on, and maybe after a number of hours of heat it will soften. We've never had a problem with ours uncoiling it, and we've had it since the winter of 2013/2014, and it still works great. The thermostat on these hoses must stay cable tied to the surface of the hose as them are delivered and when in use, the thermostat must stay exposed to outside air. The thermostat will turn on when the temperature drops to 45 degrees and when it warms up again above 45 degrees, it will turn off. Do not cover the hose, as you will defeat the ability of the hose to operate. If you plug into a GFI outlet, be sure any exposed plugs are protected from rain, as the GFI will trip and your hose will not work.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 02:55 AM   #11
dvstone2

M.O.C. #21293
I agree with others you should not wrap a heated hose.

If you don't have a way to heat the pipe of the water spigot you are connecting to then the safest practice is to turn off the water at the spigot each night before bedding down if it is going to be lower than ~25°F. By design these are Frost free sipgots with the handle operating a long rod to open the water valve that is buried under ground to keep the valve from freezing. These type sipgots have valve has a weep hole in the bottom on the output side of the valve that allows the pipe to drain out when the valve is in the Off position. Also note worthy is that if you ever install one of the these type sipgots you have to provide away for the weep hole to be able to drain pipe under ground. Typically done by surrounding the valve with loose gravel to allow it to drain.
Do not ever install one without drainage as the weep hole will get stopped up and it will not allow the pipe to drain out and cause pipe to freeze and possibly burst. Here a link on how to install one and how they work.

Don't forget if it's going to get really cold like in the teens or colder you really need to run your furnace. You need to do so to insure you putting heat in the underbelly/basement of your your camper. You need to do this to prevent all of the water lines from freezing and bursting and to keep the black, gray, and galley water holding tanks from freezing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191227-045418_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	5254  
Attached Images

dvstone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:19 AM   #12
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Read the reviews on Camping World site. Not a very good product according to at least 1/2 of the people.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 02:46 PM   #13
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvstone2 View Post
I agree with others you should not wrap a heated hose.

If you don't have a way to heat the pipe of the water spigot you are connecting to then the safest practice is to turn off the water at the spigot each night before bedding down if it is going to be lower than ~25°F. By design these are Frost free sipgots with the handle operating a long rod to open the water valve that is buried under ground to keep the valve from freezing. These type sipgots have valve has a weep hole in the bottom on the output side of the valve that allows the pipe to drain out when the valve is in the Off position. Also note worthy is that if you ever install one of the these type sipgots you have to provide away for the weep hole to be able to drain pipe under ground. Typically done by surrounding the valve with loose gravel to allow it to drain.
Do not ever install one without drainage as the weep hole will get stopped up and it will not allow the pipe to drain out and cause pipe to freeze and possibly burst. Here a link on how to install one and how they work.

Don't forget if it's going to get really cold like in the teens or colder you really need to run your furnace. You need to do so to insure you putting heat in the underbelly/basement of your your camper. You need to do this to prevent all of the water lines from freezing and bursting and to keep the black, gray, and galley water holding tanks from freezing.
Plumber buddy of mine says those aren't allowed/approved for drinking water so I doubt many campgrounds use them. I have 2, 1 outside each of my shops and I know very dirty water comes out of them when you first turn them on.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #14
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I'm on my 3rd pirit heated hose since 2018. I bought one, it leaked after a month. Pirit sent me a new one, but I was living in my Montana and couldn't wait for the warranty process so I bought another from amazon.

That one blew apart after 11 months, (only in use for 4 months probably). Pirit just ignores my emails about that hose through the contact me form.

So I was on the warranty replacement hose from pirit when I pulled out of the cold the other day. I hope it holds up but since I'm going to florida tomorrow I won't need it until next winter if I go back to the refinery.

If I need another one I might just go back to making my own.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:38 PM   #15
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Fish, don’t know where you camp, but I would guess approx. half the places we’ve camped use the Frost Proof Hydrants, at least those where it gets below freezing during the Winter.
Avoids them having to drain their complete water system when cold weather moves in.
BUT just looked and at least in Indiana they are not approved, so maybe a State think or no one really checks that close.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:28 PM   #16
Bozwell
Established Member

M.O.C. #23666
Hi... We winter camp in Park City for skiing every year for 3 months. Our Camco hose failed after 30 days. Switched to Pirit.... so far, so good but have heard they can fail as well.... Camco replaced our failed hose. We keep it in the bay as a spare. Make sure the thermostat is not inside the wet bay and exposed to outside air or it will not heat when the temps drop below freezing.

FYI: our Montana has been fantastic in temps down to -5. Love it! First year we snow camped we had a giant propane tank delivered and we didnt need it. We do skirt with foam board and the fireplace and 1 extra electric heater kept us toasty with no condensation build up inside. Other 5’ers in our park burn thru the propane.... glad we have a Montana
Bozwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:38 AM   #17
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
We have winter camped for 6 years now. The first year I made a hose with heat tape and pipe insulation. Worked fine but was a bear to deal with and coil up. Bought a Pirit and have used is since with no issues and occasionally down to single digits. I set up my in line water filter so it's inside the convenience center so it doesn't freeze and that also means the thermostat is below the heated area so it's measuring the outside temp. As stated running the furnace when it's below freezing is important to keep the basement and plumbing warm. I have measured mine with a remote thermometer and it's stayed at 60 plus degrees when in single digits outside. If at a public CG I shut off the spigot and use onboard water if it's going below freezing overnight. Some CG's will even shut off all water below 20. At our private site I heat taped the spigot so no longer an issue.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:58 AM   #18
DarranR
Established Member

M.O.C. #30267
Jim

Has the Pirit house stood the test of time? I'm a new Monty owner and starting to gear up. A heated hose is on my list.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Darran
Old 12-29-2021, 09:13 AM   #19
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I agree with reply 15 (mhs4771) I'd guess reply 13 with the plumber that says "frost proof hydrants aren't allowed/approved for drinking water" doesn't camp at most any state or Corps Parks. Most all of those we frequent in KS, MO, NEB, SD, AR, and TX have the frost proof hydrants.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:19 AM   #20
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarranR View Post
Jim

Has the Pirit house stood the test of time? I'm a new Monty owner and starting to gear up. A heated hose is on my list.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Darran
As I said, we only used the home-made hose for one year. Since then, it's been the Pirit hose and it's still in like new condition and has worked flawlessly. We are in our sixth winter but this year we are in SC and it hasn't been cold so have just used the white hose simply because a shorter hose was preferable.

At our private site in NW GA we have a hydrant. One year when we set up in the fall I plugged an inline filter when I turned the water on. Since then I run a garden hose and flush the pipes out good before hooking up. Seems when it sets all summer without use some rust will form at the base. Since flushing we have had no problems. I have tested the water and get the same purity as the bottled spring water from the store so I'm confident of safety.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote