Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Tire pressure monitor

Hi folks,
Do any of you have the wireless tube-cap-sending unit tire monitor shown on RV Road trips?
If so, how do the work?
Does any radio or electronic 'noise' interfere?
That, my friends is the 'Cat's Meow'.........
Ozz

Forget it, the Cat is around $500.00 for 8 tires, will bend over and check them the old fashion way.

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Ozz
With the list of toys you have for your montana, you don't need another thing to monitor. Saying that, yes we have the Doran tire alarm system. And I wouldn't be without it now. Coming back from Florida last winter, the alarm went off and said one tire was low on the interstate. It told me which one was low too. We pulled into a rest area and using our air pump and our honda 2000 generator, we inflated the tire and was on our way in less than 30 minutes. I checked the tire and the stem and couldn't find anything wrong with the tire. After getting home to VA I called Doran and was told to check the rubber seal inside the transmitter. Low and behold the rubber seal was not setting properly and thats why it was loosing air. Since then we have not had any problems. They were very helpfull in taking care of the problem to including sending it in to have them check it.

Ken and Velda
Mindy (Our spoiled cocker spaniel)
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana w/automatic satellite dome/dish
2005 2500HD GMC 4x4 Crewcab with Duramax/Allison and edge/attitude, 45 gal transfer flo tank, Air Lift air springs, and Doran tire pressure alert system.

ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ken

Ozz
With the list of toys you have for your montana, you don't need another thing to monitor. Saying that, yes we have the Doran tire alarm system. And I wouldn't be without it now. Coming back from Florida last winter, the alarm went off and said one tire was low on the interstate. It told me which one was low too. We pulled into a rest area and using our air pump and our honda 2000 generator, we inflated the tire and was on our way in less than 30 minutes. I checked the tire and the stem and couldn't find anything wrong with the tire. After getting home to VA I called Doran and was told to check the rubber seal inside the transmitter. Low and behold the rubber seal was not setting properly and thats why it was loosing air. Since then we have not had any problems. They were very helpfull in taking care of the problem to including sending it in to have them check it.
Now let me get this straight, you had a tire losing air because of a bad connection within the "Doran tire alarm system" itself?? You had to get to a rest area, get out the pump and crank up the Honda and after a wasted 30 minutes you have the non-leaking tire reinflated and were back on your way constantly worrying about having a flat tire. Is this another good example of poor quality control by Doran or what?
Than you say "I wouldn't be without it now"
Am I missing something??

BTW---Ozz you could by many tire pressure gages not to mention so much other good stuff for 500 bucks
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have been thinking hard about the tire monitoring system. One day I think it is a great idea and the next day I don't. I have had two tires on my brand new 3400 lose air because of cheapy valve stems and I am sure the system would have detected that and allowed me to pump them up but I detected them myself because I routinely thump my tires (bus driver) when we make any kind of a stop.However if I had a tire failure (blowout) what would the system tell me that I don't already know?

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:04 PM   #5
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
But the cost of that low tire blowing out and destroying the side of the Monty would be a lot more than the $500 spent on the Doran or any other monitor system for that mater. We do not full time and only take the trailer along with on family vacations twice a year or so. But often we are running interstates trying to get to our destination as soon as we can so we don't stop often enough to let the tires cool down and recheck the tires. This is where I think the monitor system may save me a blowout and the damage it brings to the sides of the trailer.

I have a Doran tire monitor system on my things I would like to have soon and was told that I would need an external antenna to get it to reach the tires on the Monty because they are over 20' from the monitor itself. From the guys I talked to that have them none have mentioned anything about radio noise.

Ron & Melinda Rosewall
Marcus, Iowa
'06 F350 DRW King Ranch 4x4, diesel pulling machine.
'04 3685FL, Fireplace, Cent Vac, Fantastic Fan, Safety Glass, 2nd A/C, Slide out awnings.

http://www.picturetrail.com/fordzilla

Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I also have the Doran tire pressure system.In my 4th year with it.In fact I have the bragging rights in as I was the FIRST customer from www.rvcams.com to purchase the system.It has worked great without a hitch.The ability to know your tire pressure on each tire while traveling down the road is priceless.The number one cause of the dreaded "blow out" is low tire pressure.This system will alert you with a alarm and tell you which tire is losing air.

the one and only downside of the system is that the batteries when they go bad have to be replaced by the manufacturer.The life span is between 3 to 5 years.You send back the old sensers and for 25 bucks each they send you new ones.Like I stated I`am on my 4th year with mine and so far they are holding up.

I keep the ones on my truck 24/7.

In the 4 years that I have had this I have had ONE alert.Its so nice to push a button and know the EXCAT tire pressure of your tires going 65 MPH down the road.Try that with a tire gauge(lol)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4-auto-48re
2001(bought new in March of 2004) montana 3280RL triple slide
Prodigy brake controller
color back up camera(from rvcams.com)
reese 16K slider
tire pressure monitoring system
line-x spray in bed liner
roll&lock bed cover
Yamaha generator with boost control
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
[quote][i]Originally posted by harleyrider[/i "I have had ONE alert"

HDRDR,

Tell us about that one alert. What was the issue?

Steve & Nina
03 Mountaineer TT 335RLBS
2000 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab LB V10 2WD Posi. Reese HP Dual Cam
Prodigy-K&N-Mobil 1
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I had the Doran system prior to fulltiming and finally threw them out. The monitors wouldn't transmit to the external antenna mine came with. Doran sent me a longer antenna which would run as far back as the rear axle on the truck. Still wouldn't always work when I tested them. Mine had two button batteries in each unit. I had to replace them about once per month on at least one of them. Those buttons cost a couple of bucks each. When the batteries are weak, it signaled the receiver in the truck to let me know they're weak. When the signal would reach. But when the truck wasn't attached to the Montana (in my working days) those batteries would signal but the truck was too far away. By the time I hitched up again and was close enough to get the signal the batteries were already dead and thus there was no clue to me the batteries were dead. So, I had to start testing them each time I hitched up. The other problem was the signal in the truck that a tire was 5 psi below the setting was a high pitch and not very loud. I couldn't hear that high pitch.

I understand a lot of people are happy with the system. I can only assume they have improved them immensely. I had them back in about 2001 or thereabout. It just didn't work out for me. If I were doing it again I think I'd get the kind that strap around the wheel itself, inside the tire. I don't have any tire monitoring system and am not planning to get another one, though.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:30 PM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We have the Doran pressure pro and wouldn't do without it. Is good to be able to check the pressure for the tires while going down the road.

Bought Don 4 more pressure sensors for the truck for anniversary present. Now have them on Monty and truck.

This system has already saved us a wheel and the side of our Monty. We had picked up a nail and was losing air pressure. Stopped and aired it and that got us to a place where we got the tire changed.

Dusty & Don ... Two spoiled schnauzers and a Maine Coon cat. 2500 Dodge Diesel 2003,SLT,
Bedsaver, Doran tire pressure moniter.
2004 Montana 3295. Fireplace,Washer/dryer,2 air conditioners.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:30 AM   #10
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
[quote]quote:Originally posted by azstar

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by harleyrider[/i "I have had ONE alert"

HDRDR,

Tell us about that one alert. What was the issue?

Steve & Nina
03 Mountaineer TT 335RLBS
2000 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab LB V10 2WD Posi. Reese HP Dual Cam
Prodigy-K&N-Mobil 1
The one time I had the alert it was my fault.I didn`t screw on the senser enough,so it slowly leaked air out.

2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4-auto-48re
2001(bought new in March of 2004) montana 3280RL triple slide
Prodigy brake controller
color back up camera(from rvcams.com)
reese 16K slider
tire pressure monitoring system
line-x spray in bed liner
roll&lock bed cover
Yamaha generator with boost control
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:06 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The monitoring system is on our " nice to have list" and perhaps one day we will have them..We have seen folks with many of the problems Steve R mentioned and also with the new systems problems in reception due to the length of say the 3400 and the LB/ dually TV. We have a camper friend who is willing to sell us a new system cheap because it does not work properly on his Cardinal fiver (same length as the 3400, and the inside duallies of his TV....???? does this sound right???

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:01 AM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ok, to take this one step farther, if you do need to put more air in a tire, what type of compressor do you use?

Peace!
Robbie & Alice Simons
Seattle

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 SWB Laramie (LNRNGR)
2006 2980RL (TONTOW)
Line-X bed liner
Jacobs Exhaust Brake
Prodigy Brake Controller
Hijacker 24-UMS-21 Hitch
Start Fulltiming 10/2006
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:48 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would pass, as it seems even the batteries are expensive, you can mess around with something someone else wants to sell, spend a small fortune, and learn the same lesson he learned. Maybe if you could find out exactly what problems he was having it would be better. I think the antenna has 'Issues'.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
Hadley Air Horns
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Old 08-15-2006, 10:53 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Simonsrf,
Many people carry those small 'Pancake' 110 volt compressors, Sears, Campbell Hausfeld.
I have a Viair 450C 12 Volt, in addition to the Sears type. I have mine piped to an air chuck at the rear bumper, as well as to an air tank under the truck. The air powers my Hadley air horns very nicely.
You can get a 5# Co2 tank with a regulator and air chuck that is light and the Co2 refill is around $14.00.
It will fill many tires.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
Hadley Air Horns
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Old 08-15-2006, 12:09 PM   #15
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
I guess we have been lucky. we tow a 3475, the same length as the 3400 with a crew cab GMC and have no problem receiving the signals from the Doran transmitters. Better than paying for tire and fender. We have had this one just over a year now. The alarm going off made me a believer. And yes, we have two tires that seem to loose a couple of pounds every couple of weeks too. I'm like Richfaa and think its the valve stems. We have to check the tire pressure everytime we pull out on the road. For that we use a 110v cambell compressor that has no problems bringing it up to 80 lbs in each tire.

Ken and Velda
Mindy (Our spoiled cocker spaniel)
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana w/automatic satellite dome/dish
2005 2500HD GMC 4x4 Crewcab with Duramax/Allison and edge/attitude, 45 gal transfer flo tank, Air Lift air springs, and Doran tire pressure alert system.

ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dusty and Ken, it sounds like they've improved them since I had them. Mine did not show pressure. It only lit a little light and beeped a little beeper that a tire had dropped 5 psi below the preset threshhold. Yours sound much better. I hesitated a long time before posting my comments because I thought maybe they're better now. In retrospect I probably should have withheld that post.

Robbie, I also have a 110v pancake air compressor I carry in the front locker of the Montana. Just be sure you have one that really will get your tires to 80 psi in reasonable time. I forgot what brand I have (will look if requested) but it gets to 80 far faster than any other I have had in the past. But it's not a petite compressor. I can lift it and carry it fine but you know it's there. Adds to my pinweight.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:15 PM   #17
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Steve, thanks for the information. I was at Sears the other day, the ones they had were 120 & 150 PSI with the pancake bottle. They were also on sale, and I tried real hard to buy one, but just couldn't, they were just to darned big and heavy for my basement space allotment, so I am still looking. I wish there was a sensible solution that is not to big and not to small to do the job. Guess I should start another thread. Ozzie had a good idea, but when I looked at the Viair, sticker shock and the installation changed my mind....

Peace!
Robbie & Alice Simons
Seattle

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 SWB Laramie (LNRNGR)
2006 2980RL (TONTOW)
Line-X bed liner
Jacobs Exhaust Brake
Prodigy Brake Controller
Hijacker 24-UMS-21 Hitch
Start Fulltiming 10/2006
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:29 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Robbie,
You might look into that 5# bottle of Co2, drop by your local welding supply place and talk to them about it.
Also, that Harbor Freight has a Viair knock off that MAY do the job, it's much cheaper, under $75.00, as I recall. It pulls 12 amps if I remember correctly. You could mount it under the hood and run an air line back to the rear bumper.
I mounted mine under the truck and ran the air line back to the bumper with a female chuck there.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
Hadley Air Horns
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Old 08-16-2006, 09:02 AM   #19
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
In the near future, the TP monitor will be mandatory for cars/trucks...the DW's 06 Acura has it now. Can RVs be far behind?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:26 PM   #20
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
My Doran will send the pressure reading to the truck when it is in the garage, never had a problem when going down the road.

04 Silver Dodge Laramie QC 3500 DRW, HO Diesel, 2wd, 6spd, LB, 4.10, Sport pkg, Bun warmers, Jake.

2004 Big Sky 3670RL, Fireplace, Sat Dish/Dig Readout, Cent Vac, Big Sky & Value Pkg, 2 Fantastic Fans, Basement Tray, Safety Glass, 2 Batts, Pressure Pro
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote