Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #1
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
All new suspention

Looks like I'll have basically a whole new suspention and tires put on my trailer. I have an axle allignment problem, and from what I have been told so far is that under warranty they typically replace the axles. The MorRyde rubber suspention springs between the leaves have some serious tears. Todd at MorRyde is ready to send out the new rubber springs. Talked to Keystone and they dirrected me to Tiara RV. I'm still waiting to hear if Tiara can get me in Friday morning on my way to Florida. Tires will also have to be replaced due to the wear. My main issue is finding a dealer who has the axles and tires on hand, and can fit me it without more that a day delay. Yeah, I know that's asking for a lot.

Don't like that I'm having problems, but the fact that I'll be getting a complete suspention rebuild does make me feel better. Hoping to get the tire upgraded to G614's for a highly reduced ammount.

woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Some dealers are qualified to do what you need but I wouldn't count on immediate service- Most dealers take care of their local trade first because it is repeat business- Good luck and God bless- JMHO- Dob
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I would be very interested to know what caused the MorRyde system to fail like that. If the unit was 10 years old with lots of miles I could understand, but on a unit you've only had for several months, just doesn't make sense. Good luck and hope you get repaired in time to make Florida, will you be there for the winter or just a vacation? We'll be heading out in about 4 weeks for the winter and stopping in Daytona for "The Rally" Good Sam type.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
I've only had the unit several weeks, not months. MorRyde guy didn't offer an explanation, but said it was doubtfull it has anything to do with the alignment problem. Won't be getting it fixed on the way. Keystone customer service told me to go ahead and head to Florida and get it taken care of down there.

We're dropping the trailer off in my mothers yard. Then I have to come back home. I have to head out to work at the end of October and won't get back in country until the first week in February. By mid February I hope to be on the road to FL and stay for about 2 months. Definatly a vacation and also a "Snow Bird" thing I guesss. 2 years ago in February, Good Sam had a Rally In Palatka, FL. We were only 20 miles away and didn't know it was happening until the last day. We both would have liked to have gone. Hard for me to keep up with things when I'm out of the country for months at a time. We'll be in the Ocala area and hopefully we'll be able to look up a couple MOC members while were there this winter.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm wondering what they are describing as "serious tears". Most all of us have 1/4" cracks in our rubber shear springs within the first year. Here's a exerpt from Mor/Ryde's website on shear spring inspection.
Rubber Shear Spring Inspection
The rubber shear springs (#1 in Parts List) should be periodically inspected for any tears or cracks. There are 4 seperate rubber shear spring bodies molded into the SRE and seperated by 4 air voids
and the “H” shaped inner metal. If ALL 4 shear spring bodies exhibit a 3/4” deep crack or tear all the way across, the shear spring should be replaced. This can be checked by using a flat tool such as a putty knife. The putty knife can be used to probe the shear spring in the affected area. If the knife can be inserted 3/4” deep, the spring rate of the spring is affected and should be replaced. Note: It is normal to see shear spring weather checking, which is small surface cracks in the rubber. Weather checking does not require a shear spring to be replaced. It is also normal to see cracked rubber in the Air Void regions.
New isn't necessarily good in today's world of parts replacement. Be sure the dealer just doesn't throw on a new set of axles and send you happily down the road ... make them perform an alignment check and ask for the data sheet. You should end up with about 1/8" of toe-in ... + 3/4 degree of camber on the street side and + 1/2 degree of camber on the curb side on both axles .
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X2 with Diesel guy.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
The Manual says something pretty close to that. I read it a couple weeks ago after I noticed tears in the rubber while greasing the wet bolts. It had gotten considerably worse by the time I checked my axle U-bolt torque the other day, so I took some pictures and sent them to MorRyde. I was kind of suprized that they thought they should be replaced, but what do I know about them? I ain't complaining about a complete suspention overhaul. I'll feel better knowing its done right and tight.

Thanks for the info on the alignment data sheet. That info will come in handy when the time comes to do the job. So much great information here. Thanks guys....
Old 09-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Also keep in mind that even though you just purchased the trailer new in August 2012, it is a 2011. So that trailer has been sitting on a lot(s) for at least 1 year, maybe longer. Keystone switches the line over in the early summer months to the next year model. There is at least 1 member here who already has a 2013. I purchase my 2009 the first week of March 2009. The build date on my trailer was July 2008. So mine sat on a lot for almost 8 months before I bought it.

My point is the rubber has been outside exposed to the elements for the past year. That will have an effect on the condition of the rubber parts on the trailer. But something else is going on for sure. I switched to MorRyde I/S this past May. When the old axles were taken out the rubber showed age but was still useable and safe.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote