Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
mjflora
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5556
Stabilizing

I was reading all the literature that came with our new 3500RL and it mentioned that if you park for an extended period of time, to "brace" the slide-outs. Do you do that? How about the front at the hitch pin? Also, the rear seems to be not quite stable enough to me. (It is sitting on pieces of 2x6) Do you do anything special/extra for stabilization?

mjflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yes, I do have stablizer stands that I put under the livingroom and kitchen slides on extended stays when the slides are open. However, as far as movementis concerned, the best stablizers are the between-the-tires stablizers. I also use a stand under the king pin. The stablizer stands under the slides are there to decrease the pivot pressure where the slide meets the main body of the fiver when it is open.

If I am remembering right, there was some discussion about the stablizer stands a good while back. Some had reasons they felt they should not use them. Perhaps a search might reveal their arguments.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi John & Mary,

We don't brace our slides when they are out, This has been discussed lots before, you might use the search up at the top of this page, make sure you check "for the last year" . I'm sure lots of answers will come along tomorrow. It seems to me it can do more damage then good by blocking up the slides ( if you acually start lifting on the slides ). I read it was OK if you just make contact with the slides but it sounds touchy. (M1MF2) our resident slide expert will probably let you know what is right about this topic. We do use a kinpin stablizer (tripod) it helps alot. I usually carry a couple of large wood blocks to put under the rear jacks, I find the less distance you have to put them down the more stable the back of the trailer seems.

J & D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I will not use stabilizers under the slides simply because if a tire goes flat I do not want the slide mechanism getting bent. When ours was built (mid-2002) the manual said to not use stabilizers under the slide. I do not know why the manual has changed.

We use a kingpin stabilizer when in one place more than a week. I also added scissor jacks behind the rear wheels. The stands mentioned above serve the same purpose. The extra jacks seem to stop the up and down movement but don't help the side to side. The kingpin stabilizer helps with side to side but we've never been able to get rid of all of it.

The only thing I can think of that might make a big difference is larger and stronger rear stabilizers.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I leave my coach at the lake from mid April to early October and leave the slides out. I will cycle the slides in and back out at least once if not twice every two weeks or so. Helps keep everything lubed and working properly. As far as slide braces, I do not use them for the same reason stated by Steve. My 04 manual also stats not to use them, wonder why things have changed? I also have the tripod under my kingpin, it has been a huge help in knocking down some of that side to side movement. Only have the front landing gear and rear sissor jacks on my coach, seems to work ok for me. Hope you have many months of enjoyment from your new 3500RL.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:14 AM   #6
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
same here, I've never used them either. have always been told not to.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:10 AM   #7
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
John and Mary,

Everybody is correct in there responce to you in one form or another.

Here is the low-down.

You do not need to use slide room supports for several reasons. But, the main one is that our systems are designed so that you don't have to. If you do, there could be some expensive damage occure. That is just like Steve said. If a tire begins to loose air pressure or even begin to sink into the turf, something could and probably will get bent. Not only that, water leakage may occure around the room seal. Some of us have experienced leaking rooms already without compounding the problem with slide room jacks.

If infact your Keystone manual suggests you use them when your rooms are exended for long periods of time, we may need to do some education at Keystone. I don't believe you will find that statement in the Lippert slide room manual that may or may not have came with your coach. If you did not get one in the packet with everything else in your coach, you can go to www.lci1.com to obtain one and print it for your use.

As far as cycling the rooms. It is recommended that once or twice a month when the rooms will be extended for long periods of time, you should simply cycle them in and out one time.

Should you or anyone have more questions regarding this issue, feel free to contact me.

Dale
MIMF
MIMF2
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:39 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I don't place jacks under my slides either. Here's a link to my method of stabilizing....Stabilizing As Done By Glenn and Lorraine
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:38 AM   #9
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Ditto with the info above from both MIME and Glenn and Lorraine. There are several "versions" of the three basic items shown in Glenn and Lorraine's excellent description and pictures. We use a bipod instead of the tripod, we use lever action "chocks" between the tires or the kind that fit on the ground between the two tires and can be tightened up aginst them by screw action. The scissors type of jack can be used in place of the ones Glenn and Lorraine use.

Seems like a lot of work, but it only takes 10-15 min., tops, once you get it "organized", and it works very well. Being pretty lazy, we don't install the "jacks" unless we are in a spot for a few days, but always put in the "chocks" between the tires and the bipod under the kingpin, even for one or two nights...we try to never stay at a CG for only one night, minimum of two, even when we are "on the road" between destinations. Took me 14 days between FL and S. CA last August.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:04 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
MIMF2,,that site is a WEALTH of information..Got it bookmarked.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dale, in the past year or so at least two other members mentioned their Keystone manuals say to use slide supports for extended periods. Sounds like you definitely need to educate those folks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:25 AM   #12
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
We d like Glenn and Lorraine. Our settup is axactly the same for extended stay. Kingpin stabilizer, BAL wheel chocks, small jacks on the frame (not the slide). It is interesting that Keystone would recommend slide supports for extended stay when they have stated in thier documentation that thier units are specifically designed for short term use. Hmmmm,,,,, as Artie used to say on Laff-In,,verrry interestink,
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:46 AM   #13
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I'm ALMOST positive that my 2006 that was purchased last fall says not to use them, but then again I might be getting my manual and this forum mixed up. I'll check again next time I have the manual out. I have never used them on my other trailers and I think Steve has a great point with the flat tire. I'll always defer to MIMF2 on this one.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:29 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIMF2

If infact your Keystone manual suggests you use them when your rooms are exended for long periods of time, we may need to do some education at Keystone. I don't believe you will find that statement in the Lippert slide room manual that may or may not have came with your coach. If you did not get one in the packet with everything else in your coach, you can go to www.lci1.com to obtain one and print it for your use.

Dale
MIMF
MIMF2
Dale,
I went to the website but I can't figure out just where the link is for the manual. What did I miss?
Orv

Oops! I found it via the "Warranty" link. Thanks
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:56 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dale is correct .I could not find that statement in the Lipperet information. I would defer to Lippert on this one as the Warranty is with Lippert. That manual Dale refers to is a good one to keep in your favorites(a bit lengthly to print) I think that when we are in a extended stay environment and on a concrete pad we may use them., at least on the long slide.I can understand about the camper settling a bit and causing damage but common sense should be able to prevent that???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:33 AM   #16
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
My fire department just finished building what are called Rescue Supports. We use them to stabilize vehicles that are overturned or on their sides before extricating crash victims. These supports consist of a base plate and telescoping steel tubing that are placed against the frame of the car at between a 45 to 60 degree angle and are pulled tight by a ratcheting strap fixed to the base plate. This forms a kind of “A” frame buttress that is very stable. I’m sitting here wondering why a smaller version wouldn’t work for RV’s. Our 5er stabilizers are pretty much working on a vertical plain and can still wobble or teeter a little. This other design would brace for a more side-to-side movement. I’ll have to go out and see how accessible the Monty’s frame is. If it looks like it may work I’ll try to make a set from the leftover pieces of steel I have and see if it works any better.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:55 AM   #17
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
No added support to the slides: no way, nowhere, no time.

No reason to do so; several reasons not to.

Just my opinion and practice.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #18
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I was refering to the whole RV not the slides.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:50 AM   #19
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We are with Steve R and Padredw on this one, NOTHING under that slide. After a month or more in one spot tires could lose air, heavens, you could get one to go totally flat. NOPE, not going there. The slides support themselves and are well made. They support themselves. IF you are feeling "wiggle" fix it under the unit, or as Glenn and others have shown us. In fact, the places we feel the wiggle is from the middle of the coach, not, for example, when we sit down on the couch (in a slide).

NOPE, NO SUPPORTS ON THE SLIDES (oh, sorry, too much yelling there! )
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:21 AM   #20
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Great advice from so many experienced people and my 06 Keystone manual does give information on supporting your slide when common sense tells you that supporting one side of the trailer and not the other will set up all kinds of stress on that slide out room.

Imagine a 300 pound man going up and down stairs on the opposite side of a slide out. His weight will be lifting and releasing the weight on the slide supports causing all kinds of problems.

I agree with MMF2 that Keystone should be educated because those hoaky instructions in the manual are causing a lot of people grief I am sure. Take care.

PS. Al, no need to apologize for shouting. Some people are doing it all the time and I have always believed that people do things for a reason so if it makes them happy, I can put up with it.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote