Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > MOC Gals General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
bkirk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8193
Slendie

Hey Ladies I need to ask a question for my better half. She does not get on the site, so she wanted me to pose the question for her. So here it is, I bought a splendie washer/dryer with the new 5ver. The washer is an "all in one unit" with vented drying. Her question is this, do you have problems with very wrinkly cloths after drying them. No matter what she does the cloths come out wrinkled. She is not over loading and is looking for advice.

bkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Hi there! Yep, have the same problem. I have found that if I do not set the dryer to automatically come on after the wash, and if I take out the clothes and shake them prior to the returning them to the tub and starting the dryer, they come out less wrinkled. Is she using a liquid fabric softener? I use liquid and dryer sheets (I know it says not to, but I do it anyway).
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Send a message via Yahoo to Snowhawk
bkirk.. here's a copy of a post from one of the other threads, regarding the wrinkly clothes. I'd bet it would be
worth the price (not bad) of the book.

Tawna, We are going to purchase a washer and dryer for our Montana. Phil wanted a combo unit (he didn't want to give up all the closet space) but I had heard negative comments regarding the combo units. We attended the Tampa's RV Show in January and I met Sandra E. Jones. She and her husband are the authors of "All the Stuff You Need to Know about RVing."
She is also the author of a book called "Wrinkle-Free RV Laundry Using Your Combination Washer/Dryer Unit." She has a Splendide Dynasty (Model 2100) and experimented for nearly two years to get the results she wanted. I purchased the book (less than $10.00) and talked to Sandra for about 20 minutes asking questions. The book is full of useful information including detergents and softeners, size of loads, time it takes to wash and dry loads, understanding the machine settings, etc. After talking with Sandra and reading her book, I am convinced that a combination unit is the way to go. Like she says, "All RVers know that space in a RV has about the same relative value as beach-front property. To put a stacking washer and dryer in an RV is a wasted use of valuable space." To contact Sandy, e-mail her at laundry@rvstuff.org.
Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Ditto--I have the same problem with wrinkled clothing and other items. My kids refer to me as the "Wash Queen" because for years, using my stick house machines, I've been able to get out any stain they can embed in their clothing and produce jeans, tees, and other items wrinkle-free from the dryer. My Splendide combo unit has been another story. I'm still experimenting, but I have found a few things that help.

As Tammy said, taking the clothes out and shaking them before letting them go through the dry cycle helps. Using a liquid fabric softener helps. Washing smaller-than-recommended loads helps. Washing in lukewarm or cold water helps. Smoothing items out and loosely folding them flat before putting them back in for the drying cycle helps.

The best trick I've found, although it's a pain in the neck, is to use the Delicates/Wool cycle for everything that I don't want wrinkled. That cycle has a 600 RPM spin as compared to the 850 RPM spin for Permanent Press and the 1200 RPM spin for Cotton Heavy Duty. I also stop the final spin cycle before it's over (sometimes after just a minute or two of spinning), take out the clothes, and hang them up on plastic hangers or on my wooden laundry rack. For me, that's been the key to wrinkle-free clothing. Of course, then you have wet stuff hanging everywhere, but I'll take that over clothing that looks like it's made of that "broomstick cotton" stuff that is supposed to have a million wrinkles in it.

You can also use the other programs (Cotton Heavy Duty, Permanent Press), but set the spin to 600 RPM by pressing the Low Spin Button. That gives you the wash cycle you need to remove heavy-duty dirt, but a better chance at avoiding severe wrinkling during the final spin. I'm sure there are other tricks to a more wrinkle-free clothing, so I'll be watching this thread closely. Good luck!

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote