Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #41
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Install one of these fans and controllers next to the existing (underpowered) fan.
Got a website address or a name of a place to get that

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #42
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Just a thought but i believe having low voltage in your rv can be hard on your frig. I keep a voltage meter plugged in a receptacle that is always easy visible to keep a eye on it. If it gets below where it should be i switch it to gas. I've notice several times even plugged in to 50 amps that sometimes its below where it should be especially on a hot day and everyone is using their AC's plus everything else.

The only thing that low AC voltage will affect on one of these gas/electric RV fridges would be the heating elements. They are the only thing connected to 120 volts AC. The best combination of protective devices for these rigs is an EMS system, and an ARP device to directly protect your fridge. I have a hardwired Progressive EMS in our rig and have an ARP device wired to the fridge. If the voltage gets too low or there is another problem with the incoming AC, the unit will shut down power until it gets back to a good range. The ARP device shuts the fridge cooling unit off if the temperature of the cooling unit exceeds a safe level, which prevents crystal buildup inside the system and also keeps the tubing from developing cracks due to high temps which helps prevent leaks. The money spent on these two devices is well worth the protection, just like buying insurance, except you only pay one time.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:14 PM   #43
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
The only thing that low AC voltage will affect on one of these gas/electric RV fridges would be the heating elements. They are the only thing connected to 120 volts AC. The best combination of protective devices for these rigs is an EMS system, and an ARP device to directly protect your fridge. I have a hardwired Progressive EMS in our rig and have an ARP device wired to the fridge. If the voltage gets too low or there is another problem with the incoming AC, the unit will shut down power until it gets back to a good range. The ARP device shuts the fridge cooling unit off if the temperature of the cooling unit exceeds a safe level, which prevents crystal buildup inside the system and also keeps the tubing from developing cracks due to high temps which helps prevent leaks. The money spent on these two devices is well worth the protection, just like buying insurance, except you only pay one time.
Yup, was just reading up on that ARP device
. Sounds like a good choice thanks
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #44
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Wade, google muffin fan and amazon will have a bunch. The brands and sizes can be seen in the pic I posted. Also, ensure the fridge gaskets seal all the way around the doors. These two made all the difference with my fridge.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #45
dewfourmt

M.O.C. #8383
We have a 3475RL. Had the Dometic go bad, no sign of any leakage. Called repair man who said that you need to vibrated the coils, he did then charge $50.00 for three minutes. We then were told to remove the unit and rotate on the sides, tried no success. Looked at cost of replacing coils or the price of a new RV style. Drove in to Mesa and purchased a house style 120V only, Whirlpool 10 cubic foot for $330.00. Needed a trim saw then cut 1/2" off of the cabinet and put unit in place. Put screws into the floor to hold it in place. No problem other than we need to use a gen unit the few times we boon dock. New unit cools better, and we have no regrets.
dewfourmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:25 PM   #46
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Got a call from the RV service repair guy and they will be installing the new coil Jan-2 wooohoow.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:31 PM   #47
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Our frig has been fix, new Amish coil. Big shout out to Diamond Valley RV Mobile Repair. The Amish was cheaper the the Norcold coil so GS cover it....670 bucks out of pocket. 500 deductible 125 shipping ( Not Covered ) and 65 service call. I’d say I pay that cost any day of the week.

Warranty success

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:11 PM   #48
Frenchy
Established Member

M.O.C. #21550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldblue View Post
Been there , done that over the course of 2 RV's. Finally when this one went out, I researched and decided to just put in a residential unit since we really don't boon dock any more and couldn't be happier. Wish I had done it 5 years ago! We had the 4 door Norcold in our Montana and found a french door Samsung that fit perfectly in that spot. Good luck.
Did you remove your fridge and put the new one yourself?
Did it fit they the “front door”??
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:21 PM   #49
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
I bought a four pack ($10) of quiet (19dB), low power PC 120mm cooling fans and zip tied three of them at the top vent right in front of the condenser. I ran power off the other OEM fans that are controlled by the snap disc thermostat with the addition of a override for those hot days when you need them running all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O8I474..._GSzlCb811QHCP

Cheap and effective mod.