Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Good Sams Insurance

so , I have been reading al lot of the older posts but nothing really new about good Sams insurance. Currently I have AAA, and it seems my 3920 doesn't have a lot of the coverage I thought it had. Not to mention the rates went up, and I currently have homeowners though them too. No accidents no tickets no DUI nothing !

I called good Sams and was surprised by the quote for the 2 cars and my truck, it was cheaper, and the quote for the 3920 was actually more, but had way more coverage, but in the long run it would be the same or even less with the storage option. She also mentioned replacement cost of the trailer for the life of the policy.

Does anyone have any recent experience with good Sams ?

Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #2
Carried Away
Established Member

M.O.C. #20782
Yes, we signed up through Good sam/National General earlier this year...it covered our 5th wheel, F450 and an extra F150, plus full time coverage and extra content insurance...annual policy premium of $3k. So far so good because we made a claim last month for some rear cap damage...all handled professionally and quickly, including the hotel stay charges. Keep in mind that they do like to recommend Camping World as a repair facility, which we elected to avoid. No issues with using another recommended repair facility.
Carried Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #3
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
Has National General when started hosting 5 years ago.....cheaper than anybody else except the rates went up the next year........then again the year after. It was like double from when we started. Swapped to Progressive with a new 5th wheel...new car and the same truck....after 3 years....the rates have not changed.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:32 AM   #4
bobandbrenda
Established Member

M.O.C. #19919
We have had Good Sam Insurance since we started full-timing almost 2 years ago. Had one claim for the truck when a deer ran in front and did about $3000 damage. 5th wheel was not being pulled at the time. They did an excellent job of handling the claim. Rates for a 2016 2500 Chevrolet Silverado and a 2017 3950 BR run about $2400 yearly. So far they have been good and competetive.
bobandbrenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have Good Sam Emergency Road Service as well. Some folks have horror stories to tell, we do not. Have used three times over the years, and received responsive support each time.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We've had National General through Good Sam since we started full time in 2012, have never had to file a claim, so no experience there. Their rates have gone up a little every year, which is almost expected anymore, but it has not climbed beyond what I would expect. Our last annual premium for the truck and trailer was a hair over $2200 for full coverage for full timing. Our coverage is based on our base of South Dakota, so location does make a difference in pricing.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I live in AZ and pay about $800 for 2012 truck and $400 a year for Monty. I do not have full replacement coverage on either. So I was shocked at the $2200 and $3000 cost you guys mentioned. Oh, it is with State Farm.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
My $2200 coverage not only covers the truck and trailer, but it's also homeowners coverage with all the liability coverage just like you would have for people visiting your home plus it also covers content, so it's way different than just simple vehicle coverage. We fulltime, so this is our home.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #9
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Gotcha!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:42 AM   #10
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Insurance varies so much. First off decide what coverage you want: i.e. full coverage? $500-2000 deductible?, just liability? etc.

Then call around for the best company per your criteria.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #11
jaidinger
Established Member

M.O.C. #21840
We have had National General through Good Sam for many years and rates, claims service has been excellent.
From past claims, we were told if we used any repair facility, except Camping World and one other repair shop in Denver, they would not warranty any repair work done to our RV. Didn't want to chance it with$11,000 worth of damage, so used Camping World and were very pleased with repairs
jaidinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #12
Mocron
Established Member

M.O.C. #23093
We were with National General when our Monty burned to the ground. Fire investigators determined it was electrical in origin - longer story, but could not have been more pleased with how we were treated and how they paid.
Mocron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #13
Mark and Sandy

M.O.C. #23082
Not to change the gears too much here but I would read the fine print on anything from Good Sams. We recently purchased a 2018 Montana that was purchased new from Camping World and the original owners paid $2700 for the best package money could buy from Sams.The membership was transferable to a new owner and in fact we became the new members after the sale and a bit of paperwork. But..... after getting the rig shipped to our residents we found the heating system was inoperable. Now Good sams have a technician the members can contact before going to a dealer in hope the problem may be a simple fix. However, since we are not the original purchaser of the memberahip we were told that they wont help us and the extended warranty was not transfered along with the membership. I though WOW you are going to take that much money from someone and not going to uphold the coverage that was probably the biggest chunk of the $2700 . I know membership transfers are probably rare but I am just saying.....Read the fine print.
Mark and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:11 PM   #14
banks732

M.O.C. #19162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
so , I have been reading al lot of the older posts but nothing really new about good Sams insurance. Currently I have AAA, and it seems my 3920 doesn't have a lot of the coverage I thought it had. Not to mention the rates went up, and I currently have homeowners though them too. No accidents no tickets no DUI nothing !

I called good Sams and was surprised by the quote for the 2 cars and my truck, it was cheaper, and the quote for the 3920 was actually more, but had way more coverage, but in the long run it would be the same or even less with the storage option. She also mentioned replacement cost of the trailer for the life of the policy.

Does anyone have any recent experience with good Sams ?
We had insurance though Good Sam, National General. Insurance coverage and rates were good. The problem arose when I had to file a claim after I was rear ended (not at fault) and it took months to resolve the claim. We actually had to pay our deductible and then were told, by the agent at National General, that we would have to go after the other party ‘s insurance company to get our money back because there were two other cars involved and it wasn’t their responsibility to settle that issue and get our money for us. Needless to say, we found other coverage with a different carrier after that.
banks732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:13 PM   #15
banks732

M.O.C. #19162
We had insurance though Good Sam, National General. Insurance coverage and rates were good. The problem arose when I had to file a claim after I was rear ended (not at fault) and it took months to resolve the claim. We actually had to pay our deductible and then were told, by the agent at National General, that we would have to go after the other party ‘s insurance company to get our money back because there were two other cars involved and it wasn’t their responsibility to settle that issue and get our money for us. Needless to say, we found other coverage with a different carrier after that.
banks732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:56 AM   #16
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Like someone else said, there are so many variables when comparing insurance rates on RVs you almost have to start calling around every couple of years and start a spread sheet!

We have had NG through Good Sams now for a few years, at first part timing and now back full timing. Rates were competitive and have barely gone up.

Had a claim this summer for a windshield replacement. We were having it done at the factory and they only deal with the customer paying, not them waiting and collecting from your insurance company. When I told them I had National General they said they would go direct with them and collect the $3,700 windshield replacement cost because NG would pay that within 24 hours.