Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2019, 04:58 PM   #101
Jim/Sandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #23278
Thanks for the video update. Good info, but a lot of maybe's and "it should be okay" from the sub contractor/manufacturers who haven't spent many thousands on a Montana. Just like Al D., Keystone rejected the claim on our 2018 HC 345RL. Got it back from the dealer 2 weeks ago after spending $1500 for an Eternal Bond membrane repair. Still don't agree with no mention of a possible defect when we purchased the coach new. Problem could have been solved right from the start with the drip pans.

Jim/Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:22 AM   #102
shbcr1
Established Member

M.O.C. #23835
I agree and would be interested in participating.
shbcr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #103
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Thank You Keystone - This Warranty work is done

Surprisingly quick

Kudos to northgaterv.com who is standing behind their customers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RenderedImage.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	3669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2589.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	3670   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2590.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	3671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2591.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	3672  

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #104
Kidsolly

M.O.C. #23733
Purchased a 2019 310RL this past April. Found this thread a month ago and called Keystone about the known issue of the slider motors leaking. Keystone rep stated the decision to add leak trays as part of the standard install was made in the summer of 2018. Mine came down the line in April of 2018 so no trays. Trailer is in the shop now to have the trays installed and to address a few other minor issues. Glad I found this forum and thanks to all of you who take the time to contribute.
Kidsolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #105
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
Took delivery on my 2019 HC 384BR in June 2018. I orderded it so the build date was late May with no drip pans. Found this post and 3 of 4 slides have leaked and I have bubbles on the roofs. I called the motor manufacturer and they shipped me the drip pans. I installed 2 of them and had the dealer install the 2 where the moldings had to be removed. They patched half the bubbles on the roofs. I'm going to address it with Keystone at the Rally.
My question is how was this delivered in May 2018 without drip pans for a known problem.?
Old 08-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #106
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrisden54 View Post
My question is how was this delivered in May 2018 without drip pans for a known problem.?
Because Keystone doesn't care!
Old 08-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #107
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Or the assembly line worker ran out of time or didn't care.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:07 PM   #108
Jim/Sandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #23278
When we took delivery of our HC345RL in April 2018, not a word was said about leaks or drip pans. 23 months later I read about the problem on this site and found bubbles on all 4 slides. When I called Keystone their response was, see the dealer for an evaluation. They were extremely good at not mentioning anything negative such as "leak or defect." I asked why I didn't receive a factory letter as stated in my owner's manual regarding an obvious defective part. The lady kind of slipped up and said that NHTSA doesn't require us to do it. !!! So, if it isn't a possible life threatening problem, where they are MANDATED to report it, Keystone wasn't going to fess up to the problem. A company gains a lot of respect from me if they say... We have a possible problem on some units and here's an easy fix. Instead, Keystone hid the problem and easy solution from me. Then the claim was denied as being to far out of warranty and it cost me big bucks to repair the membranes.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:44 AM   #109
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Quote:
Originally Posted by suny07 View Post
oh nooooo... I was checking last autumn and thought we have been lucky on this issue

taking camper out of winter storage and found this
Hi,
just an update after the pan fix.
It seams they are right that no further grease should ron through the overflow.
Those pans are now in a year and even the Georgia Summer Heat did not force grease out.
All looks good now.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4330.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	5980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4332.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	5981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4333.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	5982   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4334.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	5983  

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:55 PM   #110
J&SMorris

M.O.C. #25538
We purchased our HM331RL in February of 2019. Build date of August of 2018. No drip pans and leaking motors. Keystone told us that overuse can cause them to heat up and leak. No issue with overuse. Cleaned roof, retracted slides, drove dealer, oil on roof. They inspected, cleaned roof, retracted slides, drove home, extended slides, leaking oil. Maybe if they are never used they wont leak, doubtful.
Local dealer was informed to install drip pans and Patch the roof.
All 3 slide motors leaking and roof bubbling. Emailed Keystone, what was I thinking, to complain about lack of notification and band aid fix. Waiting on response. From the forum I take it that the response wont be what I want.
J&SMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #111
shbcr1
Established Member

M.O.C. #23835
Keystone response

Sadly, this BS about overuse is just another example of mixed messaging coming from Keystone. What is overuse? How many times can you run the slides in and out to be overusing? This is ridiculous. I had a rep try to tell me that I had to do annual maintenance on the gearboxes by adding oil. Of course, the gearboxes and motors are sealed.

The facts are that in 2016-17 the manufacturer of the slide motors and gearboxes changed designs which resulted in sealed units leaking oil. Now, what is in the gearboxes is actually grease, but as temperatures warm up the grease liquefies, and increases the volume in the gearbox causing it to leak at the weld. From what I understand, once a sufficient amount of liquid grease leaks out, the volume will never reach the area of the leak again. This problem runs along many brands owned by Keystone, and Thor industries. FYI, there will be two areas of damage to the roofs, first the outboard edge, for when the slide is in and unit leaks, and then the inboard edge behind the molding, this occurs when the slide is extended.

By the time they were building your unit, they were installing drip pans post-production in units that had been sold. They certainly had time to develop the "Industry standard of repair" of putting eternabond tape down over the bubbles. (Between my fighting with Keystone, and Camping World screwing up the industry-standard repair, I got new roofs) Even the idiots at Camping World was aware of the issue, enough that they stocked the drip pans in their service department. However, that didn't keep them from selling units without drip pans or of notifying buyers of the potential problem. So, keep pounding on them and maybe even look at some of the RV lemon lawyers. There has been discussion of a class action suit, but no one has been able to get one started.
shbcr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:52 PM   #112
Jim/Sandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #23278
J&S, The response I got from Customer Support Manager Darcy Linton was that I either used or stored the unit in hot weather. I bought it from Lazy Days in Florida. Pretty cool weather down there compared to using/storing it here in middle Tennessee. Good luck and don't let the door hit you in the *ss on the way out !