Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2015, 04:11 AM   #41
MRSXBADHABITZ1
Established Member

M.O.C. #16027
Can you share the issues with 3910?

MRSXBADHABITZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:09 AM   #42
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
PhilP.. a 20K repair bill would put us out of Rv'ing. Our Selling dealer has always done a good job and keystone and our dealer have never lied to us.
The major hold up was getting the two tanks and other items from the vendors on this 2013 who were less than 200 Miles from our dealer . When we had tanks replaced at D&T Repair in Goshen we just drove over to the tank vendor a picked two tanks up.

Keystone or dealers have not been our problem.Poor build quality and defective vendor provided products have been. Four tank failures in this 2013 in less than one year suggest defective vendor provided tanks, or improper design and installation.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:52 AM   #43
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

PhilP.. a 20K repair bill would put us out of Rv'ing. Our Selling dealer has always done a good job and keystone and our dealer have never lied to us.
The major hold up was getting the two tanks and other items from the vendors on this 2013 who were less than 200 Miles from our dealer . When we had tanks replaced at D&T Repair in Goshen we just drove over to the tank vendor a picked two tanks up.

Keystone or dealers have not been our problem.Poor build quality and defective vendor provided products have been. Four tank failures in this 2013 in less than one year suggest defective vendor provided tanks, or improper design and installation.
Rich I was truly great-full for your last statement. Vendors and components are a serious problem. I met a man with a Newel 45 coach. He spent in excess of 1 Million dollars. I was shocked ( did not tell him ) to see how many of the same components our two rigs shared! From Skylights to plumbing. He lamented about time coach was in the shop for component failure! . I agree with you that Thor could/should demand better from the vendors! Workmanship is another thing all together. Your last few statements, especially the one about using RV to the fullest, and doubting any other RV in this price range would be in better, is an honest evaluation. I appreciate your candor and willingness to share on this subject!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #44
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
I believe the tanks are made of ABS plastic. Many manufacturers are not using ABS for tanks anymore. I am not sure if this is a true statement or not but when we researched new fifth wheels, I was told this by SOB fifth wheel sales person.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #45
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Seems though a lot of tank failures have mostly shown up in the last 6 years or so. Like most things I believe they have gone too far and made them too flimsy. We use poly tanks on the farm that hold 1200 and 1500 gallons with a lot of slop side to side when we trailer them around less than full. We don't ever think they or going to burst, we never have leaks or cracks, so the fact that they are made of poly is not the problem.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:42 AM   #46
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
richfaa you miss the point.

I have not had but 1 component problem that wasn’t the result of Keystones improper or unfinished installation and all but the one was corrected by me because the dealer didn’t even have a technician that was able to make sure the appliance was plugged in.

On top of that all of the component manufacturers except Lippert went out of their way to help me. They sent me wiring and installation diagrams, spent time on the phone going thru trouble shooting until we found the problem etc.

The bottom line is if Keystone and Lippert had acted like the component manufacturers I wouldn’t be complaining.

In the car case where my wife ask the service manager about using the Lemon Law it was the dealer that got on the phone and wrote letters to the manufacturer and got the refund for her.

The result of the dealer’s actions is I wrote them a check for $11,999.00 in addition to the $20,000 they refunded me for the bigger car she picked out.

Have you got the idea yet had the dealer acted in a professional manner I should have never had to talk to Keystone. Had Keystone’s customer service conducted themselves in a professional manner instead of lying about them not having a service facility and stood behind their product I would be talking a much different story.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #47
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MRSXBADHABITZ1

Can you share the issues with 3910?
Several previous posts.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:26 AM   #48
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I get the point PhilP. My point is I can not afford that kind of cost out of pocket and it would end our our Rv days. Our Dealers have caused us no problem but I fully agree about yours.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:29 AM   #49
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
These tanks are ABS Plastic. We have been to the vendor that makes them.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #50
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
While talking tanks, my neighbor has a 2011 3402 with a galley tank that is cracked along a rib on the bottom. It is supported ONLY by the long side flanges on the top of the tank. The bottom is not supported in any way. Flimsy ABS plastic.

The tank is mounted in such a way, a cross brace that is welded to the I-beam frame needs to be cut out so the tank can be removed. The brace is used to stabilize the frame where the axle center support is mounted. Basically making the infield tank removal impossible.

They fixed the tank with eternalbond tank tape.

BTW, it is for sale, they bought a mobile home here in the RGV. Also a 2015 Chev 3500 SRW goes with it. PM me and I'll get their fone #.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #51
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My galley tank split in the same place last winter. It is split again this winter but we can not see were.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #52
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
Artemus, I am very curious exactly what components are used in a Newel 45 coach that are used in a Keystone?, keep in mind all Newels are built one at at time with a list of equipment from the buyer, no two are the same, I have been in 3-4 of them and I didn't see anything that Keystone uses.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:47 AM   #53
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Keystone won out. Taking our Big Sky to a 3rd dealer for attempted repair. We were going to be paying for a lot in FL while the unit will be at the dealer; plus paying for additional housing. This does, however, give me the opportunity to say how wonderful fellow RVers are. Our neighbor at the RV resort we are in, has babysat our dog before. I was talking to her about watching Bella if we couldn't find a place where we could have pets. She offered the use of their brand new motorhome while we are "homeless!" We were trying to figure out what our options were, since we have no idea how long ours would be in the shop. This really worked out perfectly for us. We will move the motorhome to our rented lot and be out no additional expense - except for the nice "Thank you" gift I've already ordered for our awesome neighbors. They tried to make it sound like we were doing them a favor by "testing" their new motorhome before they take it on the road next month. I feel as if a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. We are truly blessed to be part of such an amazing group of people. We have made some amazing friends during our short period of full-timing.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #54
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Virginia Young

This does, however, give me the opportunity to say how wonderful fellow RVers are.We have made some amazing friends during our short period of full-timing.
I believe you have hit on the truth about RVers.... many many good folks out there.
May you get final, complete and satisfactory resolution to your ongoing RV issue.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:42 AM   #55
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Update: Dropped our Big Sky off at Camping World in Bartow, FL (That is where Keystone told us to take it, because they had, not just Certified technicians, but MASTER Certified technicians!) When we left it, we were told it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to find the problem with our remote and more than a couple of days to fix it. They promised to call us at the end of the day with the prognosis. They didn't. After calling and leaving multiple messages, we finally got in touch with them Thursday afternoon. The advisor immediately launched into an explanation of how our galley tank was leaking (never had a problem with this - only told them the sensors weren't working.) Still no word on the wiring issue. (Sidenote: Keystone engineers say there's no way it's a wiring issue. It's a bad board. Amazing how they can determine this without ever laying eyes on our unit.) We went back to CW. CW says they haven't heard from Keystone, Keystone is saying the contacted CW. After 2 1/2 days, CW still had not submitted to Keystone for approval. Got Sacha at Keystone on the phone with CW. CW told her we didn't want them to fix our camper, that we were picking it up. NO WE WEREN'T! The tank leaks and wires are disconnected. NEVER said we were taking it. Finally got that straightened out and they are back to work on it. Determined it is a bad board. What are the odds that we have gotten 3 bad boards? It's been replaced twice already. Something is obviously making the boards go bad, right? Bottom line - They still don't know what's wrong and still don't know when it will be ready. So far, that two day job is on its 6th day. Just so tired . . .
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:24 AM   #56
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Will more ice cream help.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:36 AM   #57
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
From the cup half empty to the cup half full perspective at least they found a tank leak before you were caused yet ANOTHER headache down the road. Hang in there!!!
Old 03-02-2015, 04:25 AM   #58
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
She had suspected a tank leak last week that they thought was a black tank leak. I did not go over to look at it and they later said it was not a black tank leak. The galley tank can be nearly as nasty as the black tank smell. It is good the dealer found it but that is going to increase the time the RV is down... I have not told them that yet .Helen and Gina are out shopping and I do not want to spoil the day.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:37 AM   #59
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Rich:
Her post indicated:
"(never had a problem with this - only told them the sensors weren't working)"

I am just saying one needs to give credit where credit is due and this obviously is something the dealer found on their own and to their credit. Of course yes this will add to their down time.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #60
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
This has nothing to do with Montanas, but specifically the Bartow CW.
We had an appointment with them for a "Free Roof Inspection" last spring before leaving Florida. Arrived and did the required paperwork inside, then one of those Master Techs with a Trainee climbed up onto our roof. When they came down this Master Tech was shaking his head, "You have serious roof problems". Now this is a 2 year old SOB, but he starts explaining where there is all this separation and numerous areas where it was already leaking, we should make an appointment for their "Total Roof Care Package". We thanked him and said we were headed to Holiday and would make the appointment with that CW.
Now, I had been on the roof and never saw any of those issues, maybe one or two small spots that could use just a little touch-up but that's it. So didn't worry about making any appointment.
Now here we are a year later, been to Alaska and back, all types of weather (except no snow or ice) and still no signs of those serious leaks. So while there may be some decent Techs there I wouldn't let them change a light bulb, let alone something serious on our home.