Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2009, 05:23 AM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
RV and Auto Insurance

It is time for auto and RV insurance renewal and I am pricing companies. We currently have GEICO for both. Does anyone have experience with Good Sam RV and auto insurance? How about good pricing and service with any company? As always...thanks in advance for all the great answers I expect to get!!

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:35 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Good Sam uses MIC (Branch of GMAC, ergo a branch of GM) for their RV insurance. What I like about them is the price is for a year instead of 6 months. What I don't like about them is you should NOT insure both the tow vehicle and trailer with them. The reason? If either is damaged by the other, the damage is not covered. In other words, if the tow vehicle hits the trailer for ANY reason, too bad. You can find out about this reading the policy or via the 'oops' method. Still, I do use them for the RV coverage which has paid two claims without issues.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We had GMAC for a long time and I started to compare when ours came due. We went with Progressive on our SOB motor home and stayed with USAA for our cars and truck.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
I didn't know that about GMAC (don't insure both truck & trailer). We've been with them (Good Sam) for 10 years, had one trailer claim that was handled immediately.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Keep in mind that when you go Full-Time you might want to change policy to include libility insurance just like a home, so if someone falls down stairs, trips and hurts themelves while visiting you are covered for thier medical. Not all insurance companys insure for full-time use. Plus remember that personnel property you have with you will increase. These are things we found out when looking for FT insurance. Good Luck
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
dant...who do you have your insurance with?
Old 10-15-2009, 12:49 AM   #7
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Good Sam sends out a lot of brochures about their insurance which is GMAC insurance. The GMAC people have no idea what is offered in the brochures. My Allstate agent cut their price on my car and truck. The GMAC rv insurance was fair but the road service part would only cover the rv. I would have to purchase separate auto road service from good sam to cover car and truck which eliminated any savings. My present rv insurance, National Interstate, covers my rv, truck and car with road service at a better rate.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:29 AM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We use National Interstate for our full timers insurance on both the truck and trailer.. They have been outstanding.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #9
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We have the Montana insured thru National Interstate in Richfield Ohio. When we became South Dakota residents and have mail service thru America's Mailbox in Rapid City it is who they suggested. We got quotes from several companys that did have FT insurance rates, and National was comparable and we got truck insurance thru the same broker.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Thanks all. We aren't fulltiming yet. We hope to go out next Apr/May and return to our stick house for the 2010/2011 winter and make our decision then. If we do go fulltime then we will probably rent out our condo. We are in a retirement community that is an international snowbird haven and won't have any problems renting for either the season or year round. We just have to get out there and see if the fulltime or the longtime lifestyle is right for us.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:28 AM   #11
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
For what it's worth, if you belong to Costco-check out the insurance through American Express. BIG discounts on auto & home. We have everything insured through them including the TT. However, we do not fulltime.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
bushmill
Established Member

M.O.C. #9088
I had GMAC for several years on both truck and Montana. We were involved in bad accident damaging both truck and trailer. We are fulltimers, but GMAC had no sense of urgency repairing our home. I switched to Progressive based on what other RVers told us. Progressive offers adjusters in the field which I believe is a big plus.
bushmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #13
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Currently have GMAC but started shopping around. State Farm could not even come close. The company I have my home owners with also could not come close in price. So far no claims on car, truck or rv. So no experience there.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:26 AM   #14
3000RK

M.O.C. #8453
I just recently went through a thorough pricing due to a high % increase with my previous carrier for auto and home. My neighbor recommended AARP with Hartford and they saved me about 33%. I know prices vary from state to state, but the Good Sam coverage was one of the highest in PA. I have my 3000RK insured with Progressive...all things considered I found they have the best rates vs coverage. Happy trails!
3000RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #15
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We have Progressive on our Montana. After 5 years with no claims they give us 0 deductible. At that point following their advice I raised my deductible to $2000 which gives us a much cheaper rate. Now if I do have a claim I lose my zero deductible at which time I will lower the deductible and pay a higher rate. This was what my agent advised me to do to save money.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:44 AM   #16
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
i deal with an insurance company in south dakota...we became residences of that state.

my agent put me into GMAC for the 5th wheel, as a full-timer, and it seems to be a great price compared to michigan......
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have Frankemuth insurance on everything. Our 3400 is covered under our home owners insurance which seems to make sense since it is a home and not a vehicle. There are so many variables between states.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote