Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
glacier park

We want to go to Glacierin September, any suggestions as to which side, or best scenery. We have about a week to spend there
bob

blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
rphoward
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4471
It's been a few years since we've been there but have always enjoyed the west side of the park - Going to the Sun Road and at the top of the grade lots of hikes start at the visitor's center. More tourist activities on the West side (e.g., rafting) and sightseeing opportunities.

There's also a great hike out of Whitefish up the Danny On trail at Big Mountain and then you ride the ski lift down for free. Lots of huckleberries on the trail (yummy).

Maybe others will remember the name of the little town you drive to on a dirt road (fairly good road though) that gets you to the greatest bakery and a remote western entrance to the park - I recall is heads out of Columbia Falls? We drove and took a picnic lunch - bought bread and then spent the rest of the day fishing.

This makes me want to head back there again.
rphoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
All I remember from my teen years there is that you need to travel from west to east on Going to The Sun Hwy in order to be on the outside. Also, you are getting close to their "winter season" there, so be prepared for some sudden weather (snow). We were there in the middle of June and had to wait one day for the official opening of the Hwy as it was still plugged with snow...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Check you dates; the park usually closes the going to the sun road in September....it's already snowed in MT this month! Winter could be closeby....(snow on Aug 16th at our home in Livingston....)
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We were there last week and did the going to the sun road west to east. We ate on the east side and then drove back east to west. That is one road you gotta drive, or ride the red bus or even take the GNP bus for free.
The boat ride on Lake McDonald is very relaxing but not too special for us anyway.
We stayed at the Mountain meadow RV park. Nice, would go again.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:56 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Beautiful drive. The scenery is awesome. We went in 2003 but couldn't drive it until after July 8th because fo the snowfall. There were snow banks over 10 feet high alongside the road. Mountain goats were plentiful. If you are near there, don't miss the opportunity to drive it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:40 AM   #7
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Think the town rphoward was thinking of is Polebridge?! Also, be sure to visit the lodges at Lake McDonald, Many Glacier, and East Glacier. Very regal. A drive up the east side to Waterton and the Prince of Wales Hotel is also very special.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Agree with Chris. Also, our visit was July 15 to August 15 in 2005. There were snow banks like Orv described for the first three weeks or so. And on one of our many trips down Going to the Sun Road we got into a snow and sleet storm in the higher elevations with the twisty road. We were on our way to Waterton Lakes NP in Canada on that trip. Glacier is gorgeous. Stunning.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:21 AM   #9
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
You may be able to stay at the Apgar CG as your base. Then do the Sun Road, go up to Babb and drive back in to the end of the road. Looking to your right up the mountain theres usally grizzlies up there feeding. You need a good spotting scope or binos. More so in the evenings. I don't think you want to stay on the east side that time of year. It gets really windy. Also go up to Browning and go thru the two museums. One has nothing but bronze sculpture it it. Have fun
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:41 AM   #10
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Many thanks,I have to visit an Aunt in Vernon BC and then will probaly drive over to Calgary and go down the East side of the park, then home before the snow flies.
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:46 AM   #11
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
When you're in Babb, be sure to stop for burgers at the Two Sisters Cafe ... yummy
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:17 AM   #12
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We went to Glacier two years ago and loved it. We stay on the West side which is more populated and busy. Then we moved over to the East side and enjoyed it a lot more. Remote but we saw lots of bear, even a mother grizzly and her cub. On the East side you can stay at Many Glacier where they have the best steak house in Montana. However everyone else who responded is correct, check the weather before you decide. This is one of our favorite spots.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:14 AM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We were there just last year the first two weeks of September. We stayed at a very nice campground in West Glacier Park - Mountain Meadow Campground. It was spotless and had a little trout pond you can fish. Great view. It was in Hungry Horse. If you're there a week, you will want to do Going to the Sun road. We hit snow last year. It usually shuts down in October if memory serves. We had a great time and hope you do also.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:36 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I could easily spend time on both sides. We stayed at Mountain Meadow RV Park, like Rames14. Here's the view from our site and of our site. We were there for a month so really got to explore the area.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:39 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Steve, I love your Charles Kuralt quote in your sig...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:55 PM   #16
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Bob, we are sitting at the KOA in St Mary right now. Will get you information about Glacer and post to you in couple days.

Steve, oh sure, thank Vicki about the two sisters cafe'. it was closed when we came by and now all i can think about are Burgers....

Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #17
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Bob, here is the Glacer Park update.
The road is open till about 1st or 2nd week of October. They may close though traffic to facilitate final paving of about 12 miles.
The road is open now, but about 12 miles are under construction and there were two areas with one lane traffic and chase cars. We had about a 20 min wait going east to west and later in the day the delay west to east was about 45 minutes.
They are redoing the pavement and retaining walls.
I like the east side to stay beacuse less people and quiter, plus theres a hone made pie shop right downtown thats yummmmy. Need i say more.

Today was wonderful and black bear crossing road with awsome vista sights. total trip time east to west was 2 hours and west to east about 3 hours. yea, we stopped and took a lot of pictures.

Here are the two web sites for Glacer Park info..

http://www.wfl.fhwa.dot.gov/projects...ast/081409.pdf
http://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm

Hope this information helps you out.

Randy
Old 09-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Randy, I hope that was closed until morning and not closed like out of business! It's not a place we would have stopped at on our own, based on appearances. But it was highly recommended by a local. We find those kinds of recommendations usually get us to really good restaurants.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #19
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Steve, Understand about getting those recommendations. I know it might look a little rough, but those are the sleepers that sometimes that are hiden treasures. Truthfully, not sure if closed forever of just till in the morning.

Randy
Old 09-06-2009, 04:57 AM   #20
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Randy, I hope that was closed until morning and not closed like out of business! It's not a place we would have stopped at on our own, based on appearances. But it was highly recommended by a local. We find those kinds of recommendations usually get us to really good restaurants.
We ate at the Two Sisters when in St. Mary this past July due to a recommendation. The burgers were fantastic! I can't image them going out of the business there parking lot was full ALL OF THE TIME. We don't do pies but, the couple we were eating with raved about the pie and went back the next day just for the pie.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote