Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Cable support under slide fix EDIT with pic

The cable support strap under the large slide was breaking and I was going to take the recommendation of others on this forum and put a door hinge on it to allow it to continue flexing without breaking. Well, I never got to it and it finally broke during this latest journey. The cables and strap hung down when the slide was retracted and I was afraid that more damage was going to occur when moving. I duct taped it up before every move, every time we brought the slide in. Bill Moll, admoll, told me his did this too and he drilled holes in the plastic and used plastic zip ties and it worked great. I am not the handiest person around but today I drilled and inserted five zip ties and now all is well. This is a quick and easy fix and should last longer than the original set-up did. Thanks, Bill! There were five holes on the portion of the plastic strap that remained attached to the slide so I just drilled 5 holes in the plastic flap and loosely tied it up.

boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
There use to be a detailed picture of the repair of that wire harness by using a hinge I dont know what happened to the picture it used to be in the home page section I guess it was removed.
meybe there will be another out there that will remember it better than I.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Mine was broke so that there was no place to put the hinge so this way worked out great.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
My 3500RL broke 3 out of four of these and the fourth was starting to tear. They were all replaced free of charge.

The next time I saw this problem occur I was going to use the hinge fix, but the tie wrap fix sounds a lot easier to implement and does seem to supply the necessary flexibility. I'll have to remember this one.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
And thanks for finding the picture and putting it back.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Both my breaks looked like that...I trimmed the edges and used hinges.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I am leaving for Eagle Nest, NM, where my Montana is patiently awaiting my return, tommorow night. I will take some pics of my hinge fix and get them posted. My plastic "POC" also broke in the same place yours did.
I am NOT in any way, saying the zip ties won't work, they are actually a pretty ingenious "quick fix". However, the hinge is permanent and looks COOL .
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Okay, okay, LonnieB and Trailer Trash - admittedly the tie wrap fix can be considered a "kludge" (rhymes with luge) or even a Rube Goldberg (engineer-speak for a fix that is way more complicated than it should be and therefore should be deemed temporary or useless).

Since "The Hinge" is the best long-term fix I've read about, when you post your picture, what size hinge did you use? Maybe I'll head off the expected failure and just go out and buy four hinges and take care of this before my next outing.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Others have had a section of belting attached at the break. That seems to work as well.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:21 AM   #10
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Sorry it took so long to get these pictures posted, I've been a little busy .

boylanag, mine was broke of in the same place yours is. I just removed the piece that was screwed to the metal, cut the other piece square on the end and installed the hinge.

The hinge I used is "overkill" to say the least. It is stainless steel and came from Tractor Supply where my youngest son works. The bolts I used are also "overkill" and stainless steel. A regular door hinge would probably do the job just as well.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
The hinge looks like a good idea. However they must be checked and lubricated every so often. I've heard of hinges rusting tight and creating more of a problem. I took a heavy piece of rubber 4" X 8" and bolted it on in the same way and haven't had any problems since. I even changed all of them before they broke.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The stainless steel should take a lot longer to rust. Lonnie I don't think there is any such thing as 'overkill'. Nice job and nice pictures.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Would galvanized gate hinges be better as far as weather goes?
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
WD 40 or LPS #3 for the hinge it will last a long time.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
LonnieB,

Very Nice. You might mention the hinge job you used might be overkill, but if you got it done, it sure doesn't look like you will have any more problems.

A few questions - Are some of the bolts self-tapping or is it all nuts/bolts/washers at all points? Did you use lock washers on the opposing side of fasteners?

Old 06-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Quote:
quote:The hinge looks like a good idea. However they must be checked and lubricated every so often. I've heard of hinges rusting tight and creating more of a problem. I took a heavy piece of rubber 4" X 8" and bolted it on in the same way and haven't had any problems since. I even changed all of them before they broke.
The rubber sounds like a pretty good idea too, the belting that Desert RVer posted about does also, but I still like the hinge better.The stainless steel hinge will not rust tight and will probably never need lubrucated. Steel and even galvanized steel hinges will eventually rust or corode and will probably need lubricated.
Quote:
quote:A few questions - Are some of the bolts self-tapping or is it all nuts/bolts/washers at all points? Did you use lock washers on the opposing side of fasteners?
All the bolts are standard 1/4"x3/4"x20 tpi stainless steel. I didn't use lockwashers, instead I used standard 1/4"x20 tpi stainless steel locknuts, (the kind with the nylon insert commonly called nylock nuts) and stainless flatwashers on both sides.