Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
A flat Mission Tire, NEWS FLASH

Well I checked at every stop on the way, they all stayed at 80 lbs. Was showing off our rig to the newest MOC members and had just told them about the Mission Tire problems and sure enough I looked at the right rear and I thought is had sunk into the lawn. So I got my flashlight and it was flat as a sour dough pancake. I got the compressor fired up and refilled the tire, it looked like it was holding air. I went inside and got my bottle of soapy water, sprayed the valve stem, no leak, hit both beads, no leaks. Started on the tread and that's when I heard it, hsssssssssss. In the 3.5 miles from the local gas station and the house I had picked up a NAIL.. So in the morning I will refill the tire, move the rig to firmer ground and pull the flat and the spare. I will just have the flat repaired and that will become the spare at least till a couple of the other ones gator on me. So I guess Missions go flat for other reasons than just being junk... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I didn't realize Big Sky ever used the missions. All the ones I have seen are some ther brand.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:20 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
It is hard to believe that when these Mission problems started popping up on the forum, that I was actually stupid enough to defend them (ours are looking good, no problems, blither, blither. blither.....). After being blessed with a failure that did not cause any damage, I have reached the conclusion that the Mission tires are only of use in two circumstances. The first is either on the way back to Tireco or in their inventory. The second is using them as planters, of course then the question would be would they actually hold the soil and water in???
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:32 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well our luck was good in the Mission tire department. We went 12K miles without a failure of any kind although we did have to replace the OEM valve stems as they all leaked.Wonder how many tire failures that caused.We did not have the confidence that the Missions or any OEM tire would last much longer so we upgraded.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:14 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My Big Sky also came with Mission tires. I, either wisely or foolishly, depending on your opinion, changed them out after 3 or 4 thousand miles to the Goodyear G614's. To me the peace of mind is worth the cost. It doesn't mean I can't catch a nail or encounter some other road hazard, but hopefully I won't have to deal with "missionitis" (the disease of the failed Chinese tire).
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:49 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I like that Stiles.....and the only way to permanently deal with "Missionitis" is to have the rig undergo a "Missionoctomy"???
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:55 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thanks to the forum, when I had the 3400RL I changed to the correct spelling "Michelin's," with less than a 1000 miles on the old spelling "Missiion's."

Didn't look back, and left the tires at Discount tires. Hope they found a deer stand trailer for them. If the block the trailer up, the tires will look good.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Some of the new Big Sky models are equipped with CRT tires made by Carlisle, made in China. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote