Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #21
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Steve, I had my 06 3400RL weighed by the "Recreation Vehicle Safety Education Foundation" folks at a Life on Wheels Conference last year. The weights on the axles of the trailer were: Front Left: 3100 Front Right: 2850 Total Front 5950. Rear left: 3100, Rear right: 2750, total rear: 5850. Total axle load 11,800. I was told if trailer was sitting level when hitched, the two axles will be pretty close to the same. By the way: Pin weight was measured at 3275, making my total trailer gross weight at 15,075. Over the GVWR, hence my wanting to upgrade axles or going to MorRyde IS. The '06's had too small of axle weights. No carrying capacity......

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #22
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
As Phil indicates - 'if trailer was sitting level when hitched'. Now I obviously don't know how everyone else's sits but my own rig is slightly nose high due to the height of my Dodge's truck bed. We (dealership actually) brought everything down as far as they could and still give me room over the bedrails (and there have been time that I thought I'd scraped paint even then).... regardless, this puts additional weight on the back tires. I'd love to get it weighed the way they did your's Phil; maybe in time I'll be at the right place at the right time.

Now, all that said -- I did up mine this past September from 6K to 7K axles; also went the hydraulic disc brakes and NeverLube hubs; I can honestly say I don't think I'd do the disc brakes again -- they do stop exceeding well; but I've also had more problems with them in the past 8 months than I ever had with the electric brakes. Hopefully I've worked the bugs (and air) out of them and they will settle down this summer. If so, I'll gladly re-evaluate this comment....
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #23
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I don't understand what difference it makes on how much weight is on what axle? When mine is parked in storage, it's nose up and I imagine most of the weight is on the rear axle. Everytime I turn a corner or drive in a cross wind, all the numbers change. I had a cross wind a few weeks ago across Nebraska that saved a 1,000 miles of wear on the left side Mission tires because they rarely touched the ground. Realistically, I bet 65-75% of the weight was riding on the right side.

Shouldn't you just look at the overall picture and use generalities instead worrying tire by tire?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:02 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sailer

Well steve ,, we know the rear axel carries a lot more than the front axel and i thought they would be equal but its about 1000 lbs dif from ft to rear ,,, sailer
John, you have a rear kitchen. I'd expect more weight on the rear axle in that situation. Ours is a mid-kitchen with the appliances just barely forward of the axles.

When I talked with Dexter I told them we are slightly nose high and asked if that was going to make much difference. He asked how much high. Measured at the frame, the front (under the front locker leading edge) is 1 1/2 inch higher than the frame at the rear. That's about 3/4 of an inch high from level. I realize the fulcrum is at the axles so that 3/4 is not exact but is close. Dexter said the equalizer will absorb a couple of inches so our profile should not affect the weight on the axles. I figure he's the guy who should know, even though I don't fully understand the principles involved.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:12 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Phil, your 3400 is even heavier than ours! I appreciate the numbers as ours is probably pretty close to yours, at least the ratio of wheel to wheel and axle to axle.

I, too, would like to know the weight on each wheel, on both the trailer and the truck, hitched and unhitched.

At commercial truck stops with scales, like a CAT scale, I always put each trailer axle on a different segment, thinking I'll get a separate reading for each axle. But they always give me a combined weight for those two axles. For the truck they give me separate weights. Does anyone know whether they will give me separate weights on the trailer axles if I ask? Or is it a limitation of their system? Or do I need to pull the trailer up so I'm using two front segments instead of the rear segments?
Old 06-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #26
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Steve when you go onto the scale a CAT scale they can weigh the truck seperate and if you stop just rite you split the 2 rear axels on 2 dif scales and the truck on a dif also sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John, that's what I've done, had all four axles on different segments but every time they've given me just three readings. Truck front, Truck rear, and combined trailer axles. We've only done this three or four times but it's been the same every time. Next time I'll ask if they can give me four readings. Thanks for the info, anyhow.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Update - Got the 7k axles installed. Apparently there are two tube wall thicknesses. We got the heavier one. Also got the springs for the 7k. They can use the old 6k springs but we chose to go all the way with this.

These 7k axles have self-adjusting brakes (brand new on these axles, from Dexter, although they've had them on other axles). They adjust both moving forward and backward.

Also got the Dexter wet bolt heavy shackle kit. There was no installation charge since they had to remove everything anyhow to replace the axles. Wow, those shackles are four to five times as thick as the OEM shackles.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #29
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We had a Everest 343L and the Cambridge 358 and never had any axle problems. And I always though the Cambridge should have had 3 axles or 8,000 axles. Steve I think that was a good upgrade from a safety point. The SOB we have now has 8,000 lbs axles, I loved to have gotten 17" tires but it has Goodyear G614 which I have ran on the last 3 5ers. Good Luck... GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:51 AM   #30
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Steve, I know you are glad to have that axle issue behind you (pun a surprise to me).

Now go and play some more! Have fun.

Gene
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #31
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Brad: You are correct that the weights on each wheel are constantly changing -- however, if you are at your max already, you have no leeway when that crosswind / steep crown impacts the weight on that wheel / axle assembly. I also looked at the MorRyde IS (independent Suspension) last fall and they were talking about weighing each wheel and designing the rubber elements for each wheel based upon individual weights. Looked at the cost factor though and went with straight axles and so far, I'm a happy (happier) camper.

Interesting observation I had last weekend -- it was the county fair here and I was looking at all the horse trailers with living accommodations -- every stock trailer I looked at had IS type suspensions. Not a straight axle in the bunch that I looked at. All of them much closer to the ground (no 3 or 4 steps to get into the living area) and they must ride smooth given the potential injury to some very fine looking animals that the people hauled around (not to mention the money invested in them). Maybe the RV industry needs to take a look at some of this -- keep some of the damage to contents down (perhaps). Sorry, I digressed but found it interesting all the same.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:29 AM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Skypilot, I figure that's what happened to us. We were so close to the rating that it didn't take much to go over. I have no idea whether the axle mfr builds in any cushion like I know truck mfrs do. I doubt it, so now we have that cushion.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:39 AM   #33
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
sreigle,

Can you tell me what your upgrade cost? I'd like to do the same, but have no idea on the cost/installation.

bob
bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #34
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well my cost to move from 5200 lb axels and tires and the works per axel was to be $895.00 complete to 6000 lb axels... now we traded units but the 7000 lb axels are on it are 6850 lb axels . not 7000 lb we have now a 2009 3465SA so time will tell if they are heavy enough, but we put on our new BF Goodrich tires and not the goodyear ,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #35
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bigbob7777, just under $1500 for axles, springs, wet bolt kit, labor and tax.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:57 AM   #36
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Steve,

I must congratulate you on keeping your cool throughout this ordeal. Keystone has really fallen on their face here. Really frustrating. We have a late 2006 3400RL, I sure hope we are not going to have to face up to this issue but with the way things have gone so far with our unit, we probably will.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:38 AM   #37
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It depends on what axles you get. We got the 7,000 lb Individual Suspension axles and the total cost for us was $1800 in 2003. Have never been sorry for spending the money.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote