Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2007, 03:48 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Montana Sky. I will see how this thing performs when they get it "as good as it can be" I of course do not expect the performance of the pre 07 diesels. We understood what we were buying and all we want is a truck that is performing to its capabilities. Both of the dealers that we have dealt with, the one at home and the one here in Fla report no unusual increase in Warranty issues with the new 08. It fact they both say it is wayyyyy below the 6.0L. They did a fuel analysis on what ws in the tank, (local stuff) and it was 41 centene..way to low.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
WOW...41! Sure makes me glad I am running a fuel conditioner. Best of luck in getting your new truck fixed, I hope Ford steps up and takes care of you.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wellll... My shinny new 08 Ford 6.4L diesel is now "all that it can be" DPF filter replaced today, all diagnostics ran, power Balance set up..We shall see. Seems that the 1st quarter runs of the 08 's got a bunch of cracked DPf's from the factory.I am told that a cracked DPF will affect the all over performance of the motor..No Duh.. I just knew that thing was not running right.They strongly advised that I use a cetane booster. Did not try to push the Ford Brand, just that I use one. The cost for the DPF and the installation kit was 1037.00 and change. That figure does NOT include any labor cost. Don't know if that is considered part of the emmission system in terms of warranty but I would NOT want to pay that out of pocket.. Makes one reconsider the Ford Extended Warranty.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:12 AM   #24
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
Rich, Glad that they found and fixed the problem. Keep us posting how the truck is behaving.
I just finished my first tank of fuel, driving mix roads local and hwy lye-meter showed me 14.3 mpg
and hand calculation showed 13.3 mpg. It's not great, but I know this is a new truck and it will
get better with mileage.
Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:47 PM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good news, Rich, and I see on another thread you are reporting it runs much better at better mpg.

About the cetane check of the intank fuel... does anyone know of an inexpensive piece of hardware that will measure cetane of fuel in the tank? That would be nice to have.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #26
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Rich-
If my memory serves me correctly I think that diesel that has a cetane rating of 41 is well within specifications. Regular diesel should be 40-46 cetane. Premium diesel or #1 diesel will rate from 45-50. It is somewhat harder to find than what one normally buys, but it can be found. If you are concerned about cetane being low..... add a gallon of gasoline.

Although I would not go this far with my truck, I have witnessed a diesel engine that ran on a 15% concentration of gasoline without any damage. It serves no purpose to increase the cetane rating above 50. Generally, diesel engines run well with a CN from 40 to 50. Fuels with a higher CN which have shorter ignition delays provide more time for the fuel combustion process to be completed.

Steve....cetane ratings are hard to come by unless one has access to certified lab.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:09 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
CETANE: The word cetane represents the ignition value of the fuel. Currently the on-highway DF2 has a value from 40 to 55. Most electronic diesel engines require a cetane rating of 45 or higher. Higher cetane values tend to improve the engine's cold-starting performance and reduce white smoke."

Generally, diesel engines run well with a CN from 40 to 55. Fuels with higher cetane number which have shorter ignition delays provide more time for the fuel combustion process to be completed. Hence, higher speed diesels operate more effectively with higher cetane number fuels. There is no performance or emission advantage when the CN is raised past approximately 55; after this point, the fuel's performance hits a plateau. In North America, diesel at the pump can be found in two CN ranges: 40-46 for regular diesel, and 45-50 for premium. Premium diesel may have additives to improve CN and lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize carbon deposits, water dispersants, and other additives depending on geographical and seasonal needs"

A couple of quotes on Cetane rating and its effects.. I think there is still a lot to be learned about this in terms of its effect on the NEW diesel motors.Addition of ANYTHING like gas, oil, etc to the fuel is discouraged in the strongest terms.. I am still learning and have a long way to go.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:51 AM   #28
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
Rich, in this world of high diesel prices what is the added cost when using cetane booster? (per tank)
Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:08 AM   #29
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Can anybody inform us as to whether the pre-DPF diesels are subject to the higher recommended Cetane levels?? I am now curious about the classic duramax that I now have.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, "winter" diesel supposedly has a lower cetane rating because of the anti-gelling chemicals added. Being up there in Cleveland you no doubt are using winter diesel. Do you suppose that's the reason for the 41 reading? I'm not suggesting 41 is ok. I'm just wondering if low cetane readings is a general problem all over or whether the winterizing of diesel is part of the cause. Oh, shoot, I'm not saying that very well. Hopefully you know what I'm saying.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:28 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are now in Florida and the low rating was reported by the Ford Dealer who replaced my DPF. Said they had checked fuel in the area of the Dealership and saw the low ratings.We are using the Cetane booster and we will see what happens... Yesterday we drove most of the day in Heavy city stop and go traffic, I think mostly stopped, while shopping and running errands. The on board PC said 12.5 MPG at the end of the day which is about 4 mpg better than before the DPF replacement...Proper operation of that DPF is critical to proper operation of these new trucks. Again....if you have a black sooty tailpipe....you have trouble...The diesel guy (John) at the dealership ran his finger inside my tailpipe.looked at me and said "cracked DPF we will order one today" The service manager concured . It is obvious the dealership knew there would be no trouble from Ford.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:14 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Since the DPF filter was replaced on my truck we have not had a single regeneration while daily driving. We normally had a regeneration every time we drove a few miles. We also note a higher average EGT by @ 75 100 Degrees. I assume that is because theb DPF is operating normally and we are doing a normal passive regeneration.