Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Carpet Replacement

We want to replace the carpet in our 1999 Montana with woodgrain vinyl. Anyone ever done this? If so, was the result satisfactory?

virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Didn't do woodgrain vinyl, but we did do laminate flooring. Result is really nice and didn't add weight.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The wood grain would be nice..Helen would like that..however would that not make for a cold floor. We note that the vinyl part of the floor is cold on these not real cold mornings..how would that be when it is really cold out..artic package..right....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Someone put in a wood floor and had pictures. Re: cold floors, you could put some throw rugs or carpets down. You can find really nice ones at the flea markets for really good prices. Try the search for the pictures.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:30 AM   #5
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Certainly agree about the cold floor but we have wood flooring on two levels of the stick house and we seem to manage. Our experience says the woodgrain (vinyl or laminate) would be easier to keep clean.

Gary, did you do the laminate yourself or have it done. My slides are the old style that are not flush when in place. The current carpet "wraps" around the edge of the slide and I'm baffled about how to replace it. One possibility is to leave the carpet on the slide and simply replace the main floor with the laminate.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:21 AM   #6
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Look at Member's Show and Tell. Fulltimerdreamer installed laminate flooring, lots of good pictures. I agree with you leaving the carpet on the slide.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:39 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We saw the pictures and it looks a lot better than the carpeting(IMO) We also have wood flooring in a room on the upper level of our tri level stick home..but it is a stick home not a camper and the floors are not cold as the stick home has a much better heating system . The keep clean is a major selling point. We will face that decision when we need to replace the carpet and I don't think that will be all that long. It is this way..for many reasons I do not like wood flooring..for many Reasons Helen does.. which way do you think it will go???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:14 AM   #8
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
If it works the same in your house as it does mine, Helen will always win. I tried to win in my first two marriages but it was just not worth the consequences
Old 01-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #9
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Virgil,
Check under our posting on July 29, 2006 under "Additions and Improvement". We replaced all our carpeting with laminate flooring. We love it!! You can see pictures of it. The side where our fridge & stove is has the raised slide. We left it carpeted but we did add some molding to give it a more finished look. You will need to jack the slide up in order to put the flooring under it. It is a little cooler on floor but we wear slippers and have throw rugs down. We don't camp in real cold weather and feel the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Much much easier to keep clean!
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #10
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Virgil,

We didn't do the slide, just the main area. We did do the installation ourselves. Took us two days. We were almost done when we discovered that we had not gotten the first boards straight. When you take up the old carpet, you will probably find that there is vinyl flooring underneath. All of the flooring was installed using staples. We didn't get one staple out and that threw the whole floor off kilter. The floor looks absolutely beautiful; so much easier to clean than the carpet and we are very happy that we did it. As for the floor being cold, we wear slippers when we get up so we really don't notice.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:26 PM   #11
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Gary, et. al.,
Thanks. We are going to get the laminate also except that I am not going to be the installer. I am about as handy as a blind painter.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Cheryl prefers carpet - but not the pale gold color we currently have. She asked me how much work it would be to replace all of our carpet with the new speckled gold carpet that doesn't show every piece of fuzz. I explained to her that a dealership, or cust serv in Goshen, would have to pull all the slides to do this. Didn't seem to dissuade her. Need to start buying lottery tickets...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:47 AM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Virgil, We saw Coachpotatoes while we were in Myrtle Beach and it was beautiful. Our carpet is still in pretty good shape but when it starts to fray I am sure we will do what Nita and Al did.

At the Escapee park in Bushnell, FL there are signs all over that says "We replace carpeting".

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:12 AM   #14
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Helen,
We decided that "Harley" was too rough on the carpet and that the laminate would be the best solution. We put wood floor on two levels of the stick house when we built it and are really happy with it so....I suspect that is the next project for the Montana.

By the way, Jo and I have reservations for about 10 days at the Wilderness RV Park in February so we may see you guys there.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:02 AM   #15
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Oh how wonderful Virgil. You bet you will see us. We will be there putting in our landscaping. Can't wait to see you two. Travel safely and enjoy the Blue Grass Festival.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:06 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by virgil47

... By the way, Jo and I have reservations for about 10 days at the Wilderness RV Park in February so we may see you guys there.
Sorry to cut in... Just looked 2007 Wilderness rates about 30 mins ago, Virgil. Hope those 10 days are mainly before Feb 15. $46/night (wtr/ele/swr) up through the 14th. From the 15th on, its $79/night. Disney does not honor any discounts/memberships as far as I know.

We are about 5 miles south at Mouse Mountain, a Good Sam park.

Sorry about off topic...
Old 01-04-2007, 06:36 AM   #17
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Dave,
You are so kind. I think we are talking about a different "Wilderness RV Park". Ours is in Ocala and the rates are really cheap..........
Pricing
While we are under development we have committed to keeping our pricing in line with the very low rates you have enjoyed for years.

$25/day including electric, sewer and water

$135/week including water, sewer and electric

$295/month including water and sewer – electric is metered

Cable hookup is available at most lots

They are using cheap rates to lure folks down until they finish their renovations and probably to try to "sell" us a condo lot.

By the way, I emailed and PM'ed you last earlier this week trying to get information on the park where you are...Mouse moutain I think. However, since that time I found this deal and it was too good to pass on. We're just looking to get out of the North GA Mountains for a couple weeks in mid-February and to "shake down" our new tow vehicle.

Thanks again, we appreciate your caring enough to try to save us some dough.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:08 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Your welcome, Virgil. You are right. The one at Disney is Fort Wilderness CG. Spposed to be a great park and a great place to stay. But so is the Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island - a once in a lifetime event for us...