Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Geocaching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Why is this not being used?

I am joining the Geocaching family, seems like fun.
Are there not people here on MOC that enjoy this hobby?
My name on the site is OzzOzz, any tips will be welcomed.
Thanks!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We love the activity and are active where we are currently located.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I can't wait to get started, I have some neat ideas for concealing- cashes? in plain sight. There are many close to where we are, I imagine that is fairly common, but we are way out in the Desert area.
We will search in the next day or two.
What neat things do you leave for people? I thought the disposable camera idea is great, go back and get the film to develop and see all the folks that have been there. Are you guys at the Capital Reef Park? That picture is awesome.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Geocaching is a great hobby, you go places and see a lot of things you normally wouldn't if you were not caching. We are camping in Quartzsite and I went caching with Rich Beavers (Papa Beav) today and we got 25 caches, had a good time.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The best I've done twice is went to two locations, but didn't root around to find the cache. I made the mistake of going with DW and she didn't feel comfortable that I was on my hands and knees looking around in a very nice neighborhood.

I'll do this more when I can venture solo. Then DW worries that I'm alone. I just can't win. Everyone else I know prefers watching TV or talking during gatherings.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
My son got me into it a bit also when he was visiting. I really enjoyed it and probably should spend a bit more time doing it myself now that he showed me how it works. By the way Ozz, what is the URL for the site you were at? I'd like to check it out.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I have been caching for about 5 years now and still enjoy it. As Don (nailbender) said we had a full day of caching today here at Q and had a great time. I have done every imaginable cache out there and never get tired of it. I have spent 4 days and over 40 miles on one multi cache and loved every minute of it. As Don said, it will take you places you have never been before. It is a great little hobby for us retired people because it gets you out. Cache on and have a great time, if you have any questions just e-mail me. You can check out my profile as it is under the same name as here (PapaBeav).
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

My wife and I do it when we travel. She likes the places it leads you to when on the road. She doesn’t participate when we are at home.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drknapp

My son got me into it a bit also when he was visiting. I really enjoyed it and probably should spend a bit more time doing it myself now that he showed me how it works. By the way Ozz, what is the URL for the site you were at? I'd like to check it out.
Here it is: http://www.geocaching.com/

What do you all use for the things you leave. Sue said she could make jewelry... I told her that may be overkill, and if you do multiple finds, it would not be cost effective. Maybe keychains? I don't know.
I am considering Cache containers, I read that the tupperware type with O-rings are really good. I have 3 or 4 real good places way off road to do some, is it not a good idea to do them way out like that?
Old 01-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
I was in Death Valley a couple of years ago visiting & sightseeing with a friend who caches. We were at some touristy gift shop in the desert, in the front parking lot searching for a cache. We looked all around this old metal stove all the while trying to look nonchalant (you're not supposed to make a show of looking, lest non-cachers find the stuff). Must have been there a good ten minutes, all the while the proprietor was watching us through the front door.

He finally opened the door and yelled out, "You're not looking hard enough!"

Whereupon my friend got on her knees and found a small door in the bottom of the stove... and the cache inside.

We went inside and bought some sun hats...
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:47 AM   #11
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
P.S. Don't do this at night in the desert with tiny keychain flashlights. There are creatures in the desert who are not impressed with keychain flashlights...
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:07 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha! good tip Pat. BTW, I have missed you around here.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Ozz, Many caches are not very large and some only have room for the log. About the only time we have trade items is when our grand kids are with us and if we find a cache with kid stuff in it, the grand kids want to take everything in the cache. As you find more caches you can decide if or what you want to leave. I assume you want to place caches after you get home and not while traveling. Caches must be maintained and are best placed within a reasonable distance of where you live.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:26 AM   #14
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
We go to the dollar store and look for cheap...oops inexpensive trinkets.......... LOL
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ozz,

We love geocaching. There is an app for that! c:geo is downloadable to your phone and works real well. We also have a Garmin that does real well for us.

We look for inexpensive stuff to leave.....Shells, gems, marbles.....usually small stuff.

We have a cache in the Cascades that gets snowed on every year, and the painted nut jar has kept a seal all this time...a lot cheaper than the ammo boxes.

Good luck, happy caching!

Don't forget CITO (cache in, trash out)
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks for the tips! I went shopping yesterday for supply's. I have pencils, pads, containers, paint for camo, toys, beads, key chains, and even little fuzzy chickens.
I forgot, or didn't think about the maintaining aspect of the hobby. I want to try it here. I think we will be here for two month's.
Robbie, I do think about the environment, I was over at Saddle Mountain, the Kiosk had loose plastic covering up posters about Rattlesnakes and Raptors, so I screwed them down securely.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:28 AM   #17
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I taught Geocacheing at the Montana Rally in 2010 in Kerrville and prior to that at the Tucson Rally and we found some great caches near the Kerrville, Texas, RV Park. I hope that it is catching because it is fun! If you get to Santa Fe, NM, make sure and look for caches in town--really great places and wonderful food around downtown.
My original GPS bit the dust and I got a new one that has all the bells and whistles for Geocacheing. Nothing like having a great time on the road!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Tim, what unit is it?