Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2008, 01:26 PM   #21
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RRman

Thanks,
Somehow, the white nuetral wire was bad, so I just ran a wire from the element to the frame and now the element works fine of course...
Based on trying to trace the neutral, my suspicion is its disconnected somewhere in the Suburban water heater...but how did that happen just sitting? Oh well, it works now!
Remove the the wire from the frame immediately! Find and repair the neutral problem. (Use propane until it is repaired.)

jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #22
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I remember a mfrs rep at Goshen telling us that there was a better heating element than the OEM one. It is longer, but same wattage, so the heat intensity is lower and it should last longer. Stainless steel seems like a good idea.

I have noticed that our "Home Hardware" chain, here in Canada also carries 110 volt elements that look like they should be suitable. (I should get one and the wrench, to have on hand).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:04 AM   #23
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Ref running new Element Nuetral to frame (actually a mounting screw on the water heater), an Electrician on the Church jobsite I'm volunteering on said his trailer had the same problem and fix and "that sometimes nuetrals just burn up". I'm not sure what the risk (liklihood x consequence)is of grounding to the water heater housing that is attached to the frame....
Expert advice is appreciated!
Thanks!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:29 AM   #24
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RRman

Ref running new Element Nuetral to frame (actually a mounting screw on the water heater), an Electrician on the Church jobsite I'm volunteering on said his trailer had the same problem and fix and "that sometimes nuetrals just burn up". I'm not sure what the risk (liklihood x consequence)is of grounding to the water heater housing that is attached to the frame....
Expert advice is appreciated!
Thanks!
Since your trailer sets on tires you have just put a potential voltage on the frame of your trailer and therefore a potential voltage between your trailer frame and true ground. Electrical shock is waiting to happen.
Please follow the advise of the experts and fix that problem immediately.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote