Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2008, 06:05 AM   #1
2golfers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4579
Landing Gear Problem

Help, We are in Anaheim, CA at Anaheim RV Village, Our front jacks will not raise or lower, it is not the bolt, or the fuse, the shaft turns, Called our dealer at home in Texas and was told that it was the pins on top of the legs. He says a shear pin must have sheared off, has anyone had this problem and know how to fix it or dose anyone know of a Montana Repair Service or dealer in this area, Thanks

Virgil

MOC #4579
2golfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Contact H. John Kohl, here on MOC. Good luck.

Ours is busted too, but, Al is taking it back to Lippert. Course, we only live 120 miles from there.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Call Lippert Customer Service in Goshen, IN and see what they suggest. There are lots more units out there with that same front jack than just Montanas, so you don't need to limit yourself to a Montana, or even a Keystone dealer. I think Lippert has a two year warranty. Evven if you are out of warranty, they will still help you get fixed up. In our case it was the gears inside the motor/gearbox unit that failed. We were able to get the parts and fix it ourselves, it is quite easy to do.

Good luck!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I sent you a PM with a link on the MOC WEB SHOW and TELL with pictures of my gear repair. As stated any RV repair center can help. If you are under warranty work though the warranty section.
Let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
Virgil,
I hope you can get things fixed up and running again without too much trouble, Mel says that it sounds like everyones got you going in the right direction for the fix. Let us know how it all turns out.

Aren't you due to be in Yuma Az this month? Hope that works out okay. We are up in Deming WA right now, and will be going to Eastern WA next week, so won't see you until Sept when we go back down south.

good luck

Joy & Mel
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
2golfers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4579
Thanks for the info and the pictures. But the Major problem is that I can't raise the 5th wheel enough to get it under the pickup, so I will probably call a service tech on Mon after I talk to Lippert. Mel & Joy read the PM, will not be in Yuma.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
2Golfers,

You can get some timbers to place under the rig and use a jack to get the trailer on the truck.

Do you know for certain that the shear pin is broken? You can use just about anything that will fit in the pin hole to get it working again.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If it is the shear pin, do what H John Kohl did, find an allen wrench that will fit in their and duct tape it in place, raise the gear and see if it will work. Be very careful if you try to jack up the frame, the only point is right next to the landing gear. Anything more than an inch or two away and it will bend. Don't ask me how I know.

Also, make sure the back stabilizers are up! (Don't ask me) If you can get it to rais where the king pin is able to hit the slide of the hitch, chock the wheels real good and bump it up and on quickly. It's nerve wracking, but it will work. (Don't ask me how I know) It should slide right up the plate into the hitch.

Move a little, observe a lot.

I take no responsibility in anything I post in this thread or any other thread. You do at your own risk.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I was going to suggest same as Wayne. An allen wrench or even small bolt. The shear pins are on each end of the square tube going across the front locker. Just hit the button enough to line up the holes and insert the bolt or allen wrench, secure it in place and operate your landing gear. Replace it with the real shear pin soon as you can in case there's a problem that caused it to shear in the first place.

Haven't heard from you two in a long time, Virgil and Pat. Hope you get this fixed quickly. Good luck and stay in touch.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:28 AM   #10
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
I had the same problem a while back. Shear pin broke - replaced the pin, broke, replaced. I had no idea why. Finally, I went to HOme Depot and bought a brass cotter pin and put it in the hole. Everyone said I should find the problem first, but, I couldn't figure it out. I t didn't appear to be "binding".

Anyways, it's been over a year and no further problems. Motor works fine; cotter pin has not broken; and no further raise/lower issues. I guess only time will tell if I screwed up big time.

bob
bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Virgil,
How about a follow up.
Did you get it raised?
What did you do.
Thanks.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #12
2golfers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4579
Shear pin was not broken, but had slipped out of place, tapped it back in and everthing was working fine, sorry I haven't been online in a while, but also had to replace flushing mechanism on toilet and take the old appollo in for service. No problems in 3 years and now 3 at once, thanks for all the replys and photos they really helped.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #13
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Where can one buy the parts kit for doing the repair. Ours accidentally was raised too high last week. It made a clicking noise then one leg was lower than the other. Both bolts in end of square shaft OK. When we got home, I disconnected the square shaft and realigned the legs, height wise. Gear still works normally, will raise the trailer fine. I'm wondering what caused the clicking sound, almost like a clutch in the SOB electrically driven slide room. I'm guessing the gears jumped a couple of teeth.
Thinking I might order a kit for when it fails completely.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
DL N K,

Try here,

Venture Mfg. Co.
3636 Dayton Park Dr.
Dayton, OH 45414

http://venturemfgco.com/

Phone Number: (937) 233-8792
Toll Free: (866) 365-1957
Fax Number: (937) 233-8485
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The clicking sound is when the nylon(?) toothed belt has reached the end and the gear assembly is still trying to move it. That clicking indicates additional wear on that tooth and should be avoided. If your landing gear don't have paint to show the end of travel it might be a good idea to add a stripe to show you when to stop. Eventually that clicking will tear up that belt and the landing gear will not function. Once we learned about this we stop the landing gear short of it's maximum up position.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote