Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Furnace problem fixed

I'm posting this in case anyone else is having a problem with the furnace blower just up and stopping suddenly when it should continue to run. Or sometimes just not starting at all.

I called Atwood and they had me check some things. First, they told me the propane will not fire until the blower is fully up to speed. Our blower was not starting at all, so obviously the burner would not fire.

They had me check the little red light on the board. It signals some error codes. Some of the code info is in the manual. They had me wiggle the board and the blower started. Wiggled again and it stopped. They then asked me to turn off the on/off switch that's on the side of the blower motor. All this is accessible by removing the outside cover, by the way.

In reaching for the switch I moved some wires and the blower started. The switch itself was ok. The switch is connected to two wires by blade connections. The male connection is from the wires. It is actually a crimp connector on a loop of the wire and has a blade coming out the side of the connector. I figured out this connector was not properly crimped. Thus wiggling the wires or the connector would cause it to lose the connection. I removed that connection, moved it about a quarter inch and crimped it solidly. Now moving the wires causes no problems. And the furnace works great.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Thanks Steve I am going to file a copy of this in my book of fixes I keep in the Monty. Good to know information. If it happens it won't be one of those "now what". JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Steve,
Thanks for the info. I had a similier problem last week with mine, the blower started and then quit and would not start again. Mine showed a limit switch/air flow fault code on the little light on the circuit board. I messed around with the wires and such and still would not work. I then tapped lightly on the blower casing with the handle of a screw driver and it came right on but once it got the Monty up to temp. it would not recycle w/o me going out and tapping on the side of the casing.

Fast forward to last Friday and we took the Monty out for a week-end of camping. The furnace fired right up and worked normaly all week-end. Only thing I can think of is a loose wire (like you discribe) or maybe the limit switch was sticking and the road bumps from towing fixed the issue? I'll check out the connections again to rule that out.

Thanks,
Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote