Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2008, 04:32 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Spring, a Break for the Island…

Talk to 20 people, all have a different take on the annual South Padre Island Spring break.

The businesses are naturally excited about the influx of much appreciated cash, and oh yes, the bartenders. They rely on the bulging tip canisters to supplement their year’s take. This spurt in good tipping customers, helps them through the rest of the year. The kids are surprisingly good tippers, in part because many of them are in the service business while going through school.

I haven’t heard the old line about the youngsters, that I have heard about the oldsters; ‘You know the difference between a retiree and a canoe? The canoe will eventually tip…’

I know, painting with a broad brush, and probably not true as a whole.

Condo owners are not excited about the invasion at all, too many parking, noise and congestion issues, although I am sure some secretly turn into voyeurs, and enjoy certain aspects with much anticipation.

Law enforcement officers I am guessing, eagerly anticipate the excitement, and camaraderie of working with neighboring officers, being able to scoot around in their ATV’s, bicycle around in their spiffy uniforms, and possibly gain a little extra money in overtime.

I know it must be grueling after a few days, or weeks, and they also must tire of baby sitting, correcting and scolding the youngsters.

The Army is King Kong here, their promotions are really well thought out, the mechanical bull, Humvee and tank trainers, their precision sky diving, parachuting drill team was unforgettable. Video games in tents, then the climbing poles, towering above the sand, are impressive to all that gaze up at them, I considered trying the climbing and repelling, but didn’t want to break a hip….

Now for the Winter Texans, this one is not too hard to figure, noise, crowded roadways, and to be realistic, the time to leave and head North anyway, rings the bell for their exodus back home to their Summer digs. For three years we were bombarded with horror stories about gridlock, crowded shopping, screaming, fighting, nasty drugged up and drunk youngsters. I think one must have been trying to top the other when speaking of the Spring Break they probably did not even witness.

Last year we stayed, I have always walked on the wild side a bit, and seem to always be right in the middle of something in my life.

I bicycled around the island last year, went to all of the gatherings, the Radisson being the biggest and most fun. Yep, my wife and I had a ball. She was by my side for many days, laughing and witnessing all the kids’ crazy antics. We walked by a group of Hook ‘me Horns kids, amazed by the intricate plumbing on the triple funnel drinking machine, when a kid reached over and hugged my wife with a mischievous grin on his face, he said “I bet that’s the first time you have been hugged by a Black man!” She laughed and said “As a matter of fact it is!” He offered us a turn at the funnel, we passed.

I was standing on the raised concrete by the stage and a girl came up to me one day, she was covered with sand, and quite drunk, she asked to use my phone to contact her friends, somewhere on the beach. Se called them, but with the noise, they wouldn’t even hear the phone ring.

She told me she got separated and she was afraid. She was so drunk she had to lean on me, she said she wanted to go home. I walked her over to a policeman standing a few feet away, and told him she was frightened and needed to get back to her motel. He said; “Look around here, there is a thousand of them, these kids are on their own.” I called my wife to ask her for a ride for the girl from Austin. My sweet wife was in front of the hotel in a few minutes, and got her safely home. I imagine there are many such instances that do not have a happy ending.

We love the excitement and will not miss another Spring Break, here on the Island, Bring it on!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:13 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Great to have your perspective, Oz. Maybe you and your wife can start a rescue group for other scared, spaced out, confused kids.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:57 AM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Well, lets see here: Sacred, spaced out, confused. That fits Dorthy. We're not in Kansas any more, that fits SPI. We have the wizard of MODs - OZZ. I'm sure we can find a Tin man, Lion, and Scarecrow among some of the of the spring breakers. Sounds like a best seller to me.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Ozz when does Spring break actually begin? We are planning to come down there for a week at Isla Blanca. We've called the cg and they say "come on down-the winter Texans have started to leave". So we'll be there by Wednesday aft. Hope it's not a mistake, but after hearing your take on it-it can be a par tee.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sandy, come on down! it is just starting, not too many people here in Isla Blanca, leaving in droves, and not too many kids yet.
We are on Turner st. C-146. See you then.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
OZZ, you are not too far off on the old folks and the canoe. Our DD worked in the local high end nightclub when going to college and she said the most demanding and lowest tippers were old people. Set a pattern for us. If we leave a 10% tip the service wasn't very good. Good service gets 20%. 15% is standard.

Ah yes Spring break. If only I could last that long during the night today. Come to think of it, naps today last longer than the hours we slept at night, if we slept at all.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #7
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Thanks Ozz we'll look you up.
Sandy
Old 03-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Was there last year and visited the island several times over the spring break....we always went in the morning before the kids got up..and for the most part,, the kids didnt dig Dirty Al's...

Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:36 AM   #9
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
We were thinking the same thing about early morning hours and that's not a problem for us as we are early risers. And we pack it in at night fairly early, too. I'm sure they won't be a bother to us. If we can get across the bridge, have heard that may be our problem. But if there aren't too many there yet-maybe not. Or maybe they'll be coming down the same day that we are....hmmmmmmm.
Sandy
Old 03-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sandy, no crows today, morning or night. I think next week will be busy, but if you use the bridge before 4 in the afternoon, no problemento.... There is never a problem here in the park.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
We'll definately make it before 4. Thanks, Ozz.
Sandy