Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
We did it.

We decided to purchase a 2007 3500HD LTZ SRW. We know we really need the DRW for what we do, but it is just not practical for us having the Dooley. Maybe when we retire. We are going to like having the bigger bed and fuel tank.
http://i18.tinypic.com/6f4o01j.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/6exy3rn.jpg

traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Congratulations Traveltunes!! I actually love the front end on those new ones. I had the chev version following me up a canyon the other day and I was admiring it.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Congrats, Traveltunes! I didn't know you could order a 3500 srw yet. Thats great! When the new 3500s first came out the only configuration you could order was a drw.

~On Edit: Now that one purdy tv!!!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations and we hope it will be trouble free for many miles.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
Thanks everyone. I hope the the "NEW" emission standards won't cause a lot of problems. They have a (Diesel Particulate Filter) and you have to drive the truck for at least 20 minutes over 30mph in order to burn off the collected particulates. It does not blow black smoke hardly at all now. What the DPF does, is it catches all that "black smoke" before it goes into the atmosphere. So when you have to drive for the 20min/30mph that is what the DPF is doing. If you don't have time to do that, your clean exhaust filter light will come on. Then, if you still don't have time to run the truck for the min. amount of time, your service engine soon light will come on. After this happens the filter may not be able to burn off the particles and it could result in having to take it to a dealer to fix it which will not be covered by your factory warranty. I will make sure I let everyone know how it does. Thanks for the compliments.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:26 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sounds like a sweet truck, keep us posted on it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:24 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Not sure about that 20/30 deal... I run mine as a daily driver in the summer. Post office, grocery store, grandkids, most under the 20min/30mph guideline. So this may be difficult to use this tv as a daily driver???

Also, what about those diesel pickups in the arctic oilfield who idle their engines 24/7???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #8
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
My above post was all from memory, now I have the manual in front of me.
It says verbatium: Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) The DPF features a porous material that allows exhaust gas to pass through while trapping or filtering solid matter from the exhaust. From time to time, depending on a number of factors monitored by the engine computer, the DPF will need to be cleaned of accumulated solids. When a cleaning is needed, the engine computer will initiate a cleaning action by warming the engine gas temperature. The accumulated particulate matter in the DPF will be safely converted to harmless gases, and the DPF will then be clean and ready to trap or filter additional particulate matter. This feature has been designed to operate automatically, with limited operator involvement or awareness.

Cleaning the DPF:
While the DPF cleaning is automatically controlled by the engine computer, the vehicle will need to operate for continuously for approximately 20 minutes and at speeds greater than 30 mph to clean the DPF effectively. If the vehicle is returned to idle during the cleaning process, the driver may notice a slightly different sound or a slightly elevated engine idle speed. This is normal. No action is required on the part of the driver during a regular cleaning.

Special DPF driver messages:
If the vehicle is used for numerous short trips or extended slow-speed operation, the engine computer may not be able to adequately heat up the exhaust system to clean the DPF effectively. The engine computer has been designed to continuously monitor the condition of the DPF. When the computer detects the DPF is nearly full of particulates and that the vehicle is not being operated in a mannner that would allow effective automatic DPF cleaning, The Driver Information Center will display the message "Clean Exhaust Filter." This message means that recent driving condidtions have not allowed effective auto cleaning of the DPF and that the DPF needs to be cleaned soon. When this message is displayed, the driver needs to operate the vehicle to allow for a successful DPF cleaning to occur. The vehicle should be driven,as soon as pratical, at speeds greater than 30mph for at least 20 minutes or until the "Clean Exhaust Filter" is no longer displayed.

Note: If the vehicle continues to be driven in a manner that prevents effective DPF cleaning, the DPF will become plugged with particulates. If this occurs,the engine computer will turn on the Service Engine Soon light in the instrument cluster and the Driver Information Center will display the message "Reduced Engine Power". Dealer service will be required to return you vehicle to normal or full operation. Reducing engine power is necessary to prevent DPF and/or engine damage. Continued operation in a reduced power mode may irreversibly damage your your DPF and require DPF repalcement, a repair NOT covered under your vehicle warranty.

You can only use the Ultra-Low Sulfur Highway Diesel Fuel (15ppm Sulfur Maximum)
and for the oil: Use only (API) American Petroleum Institute classification of CJ-4. This oil has been designed to operate properly with the DPF-equipped Duramax Diesel.

Hopefully I will be able to find the Ultra-Low Sulfur fuel everywhere we go.
Alright, now I gotta go I have a headache from looking at the computer.LOL
Old 08-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
TravelTunes.. Curious how many miles you have on it so far and what kind of fuel economy the computer is reading. Are you also doing just intown stop and go stuff or some highway miles right now.
Randy

Chevy 2007 Crew Cab DRW Dura/Allison and loven it
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
Leaseit: I have 400 miles on it. Not enough to get an accurate mpg reading just yet. I took it out yesterday for a 30 min drive at at 55mph to let it burn off what ever it has in the DPF. I plan on donig that at least once a week. I post if the computer tells me to do anything different.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #11
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I am happy for anyone getting a new vehicle!!!!!! It's really a RIGHT OF PASSAGE, and If I were president any time an AMERICAN bought a new vehicle I would announce a NATIONAL HOLIDAY. That is how important this purchase is to a RED BLOODED AMERICAN.

However, I do also believe that the ((((PDF)))) is the thorn in the LION'S PAW, everything is new right now and I fear that in a year or so this new technolagy is going to bite us in the BOTTOM AND THE POCKET BOOK.. I hope I am wrong.
Safe Travels everyone and if your """PDF""" doesn't PLUG up - I hope to see you in BRANSON MAY 2008. John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
This is in reagrds to having problems in a year or so.

I did have a bad experience on buying the last ext. warranty and my dealer told it was a GM warranty and it in fact wasn't. Beware of the warranty the dealers are trying to sell you. If you want a GM extended warranty then you have to specify you want one or they will try to sell their LOCAL underwriter's policy in which the dealers line their FAT POCKETS with. What I mean is they get a bonus for all the aftermarket warranties they sell. If you plan on doing a lot of traveling, then I suggest buying the GM extended one at the dealer and not by mail. A lot of companies will mis-represent and try to pawn GM off as their own warranty by mail solicitations. I had tried to use my other warrranty at two different GM servie centers and they would not except my warranty because it was not a GM one. The dealer I just bought the truck from throws out the extended warranty and I asked him if it was a GM one and he says: yes it is valid at all GM service centers. I said Nationwide? He wasn't sure. HUM? So then I told him what had happened to me on the last warranty I had bought. I then told him I only wanted to see info on the GM ext. warranty. He didn't have any info on it in his office. When he finally found the info. he said it was in the closet still in the box. To me it sounds like this happens all the time. Beware and make sure if you were told you were buying a GM ext. warranty that's what you got. My other broucher said CompleteCare underwriten by Universal Underwriters Service Corporation. I thought that was a GM warranty, but I was solely mistaken. I can rest assured now in knowing I purchased a GM extended warranty.

The point to this is that the GM warranty has a wrap combo so you can wrap the bumber to bumber into the 5year 100,000 factory warranty. It is an excellent package and will cover all the electrical and sensors up to the 5/100.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #13
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Traveltunes

I don't think you can start the Regen. The computer starts it when it senses that the filter needs cleaning. When it starts you will notice it as the rpms will stay up at just over 2000. Thats when the counter starts for the 20 - 30 minutes driving over 30 mph. If you can not drive it then you will have to do it the next time you drive somewhere.

Chip

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The more I read, the more I validate in my own mind, that I did the right thing in getting the classic. I hope you don't have any problems in the future.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
This is very interesting as our 2004 Silverado is getting closer to 100k and I am thinking of trading in next summer after four problem free years. The lure of new truck and new Montana is biting me. Resistance is futile.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #16
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
This new one has an integrated brake controller, all tire pressure montioring system, heated washer fluid, sensor if you forget to put gas cap on or put it on wrong, Bilstein shocks, remote start, adjustable brake and gas pedals, auto sensing windshield wipers, park assist for backing up. Park assist senses objects within so many feet and has a set of three colored lights in the back interior of the cab. The lights you can see through your rearview mirror. Did I mention sensors? Sensors,sensors and more sensors! I guess that's what warranties are for.