Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2008, 04:32 AM   #1
jengelkirk
Established Member

M.O.C. #8140
Slide out toppers

When we purchased our Monty (3400RL) about a year ago, we wanted slide toppers on all 4 of the slide outs. When we went to pick up the Monty, they had only put 3 toppers on (didn't put it on the kitchen). They wanted to know if we wanted the topper on the kitchen slide out because they would have to do some modifications for the bracket (cut out the trim on the upper vent)in order to put it on. They couldn't guaranty that it wouldn't affect the slide out gasket or wall of the RV. I believe the other toppers they put on were A&E.

While we have our Monty in the shop, I asked again about putting a slide topper on the kitchen. This dealer said basically the same thing - that they would have to cut out part of the vent to accommodate the bracket and it would cost about $600. I know I've seen other Montys with the kitchen topper but they mounted the topper bracket higher on the trim. Is there another brand of topper with a different bracket available? It kinda defeats the purpose when you still have to get on the roof to clean a slide out off!

jengelkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:21 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Here is a picture of our kitchen slide. Ours was factory installed, don't know the brand, but as you can see, there was no interference with the vent.

At least this way you can do some research knowing that there is a solution.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:38 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Paul, we have the 340 RLQ Big Sky which is the same unit and ours are exactly like Bingos... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hmmm, Bingo's and if the same then Dave's are A&E. I don't understand how this would cause vent conflict.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Paul/Janet, I have an '06 3400 with aftermarket installed A&E slide toppers. On the kitchen slide they cut the awning bracket to fit around the upper vent. They then put more screws in that bracket. A vice and a hacksaw should do the trick, I sure don't see $600.00 worth of extra labor being done on that. Ours was installed by Camping World in Washington.

If you need a picture, I will try and get one tomorrow, please let me know. If you notice on Bingos picture, the mounting brackets on the bedroom slide are BELOW that top fascia board. Now look at the kitchen slide, the bracket is mounted ON that fascia board. On mine, the kitchen brackets are Below the fascia but the one on the forward side is the one they cut to mount just below the fascia and ABOVE the vent, hence the cut. Hope this makes sense.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Right, Phil's point makes it clear now. Bingo's is mounted "non-standard" up on the slide flange and likely why your being warned by the installers. In-order to install per Manufacturer's instructions it should be mounted down inside the slide flange trim where there is structure to screw into and then guarantee proper installation.
Sorry, Bingo...just keep an eye on those plates to be sure they don't begin to induce rotational force and pull away from mounting location.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
jengelkirk
Established Member

M.O.C. #8140
Yes, thanks for the reply! Actually, those were the 2 options at both the dealer we purchased our Monty from and the dealer we now have it at for service -- cut the trim on the vent or cut the bracket. The service man said they would take the vent out and notch it so the side of the RV would not be damaged and if they cut the bracket, it might not be strong enough. My husband and I felt as though, well, they might mess something else up! Also said if they mounted on the fascia board/trim, it might interfere with the rubber gasket. In any case they said about $600.00, at least for the option of cutting the vent. Don't know what it would be to cut the bracket and add a few more screws. I'm going to share some of these posts with the service guy and see if there isn't something that can be done.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

Janet.

Janet.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Paul/Janet, I have an '06 3400 with aftermarket installed A&E slide toppers. On the kitchen slide they cut the awning bracket to fit around the upper vent. They then put more screws in that bracket. A vice and a hacksaw should do the trick, I sure don't see $600.00 worth of extra labor being done on that. Ours was installed by Camping World in Washington.

If you need a picture, I will try and get one tomorrow, please let me know. If you notice on Bingos picture, the mounting brackets on the bedroom slide are BELOW that top fascia board. Now look at the kitchen slide, the bracket is mounted ON that fascia board. On mine, the kitchen brackets are Below the fascia but the one on the forward side is the one they cut to mount just below the fascia and ABOVE the vent, hence the cut. Hope this makes sense.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
jengelkirk
Established Member

M.O.C. #8140
Phil and Cathy,

If it is not too much trouble, a picture would be great. I assume cutting the bracket hasn't weakened the bracket?

Janet.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Old 11-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #9
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Our 3400 came with four slide toppers, no problem at all.
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Janet, Just saw your latest post, I will get pic as soon as possible......
Old 11-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by noneck

Sorry, Bingo...just keep an eye on those plates to be sure they don't begin to induce rotational force and pull away from mounting location.
That is a very good point. I am still working on replacing screws with stainless. On one of the brackets, the bottom screw heads had popped off from being over torqued at assembly. The bracket was pulled away from the wall by a good 1/4 inch on the bottom. Lots of force on the brackets when the slide is out.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:10 AM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks Noneck and Slickwillie. Sounds like I need to do an inspection over Thanksgiving to assess the condition of the brackets. Who would of thought that the factory installation would or could cause problems?? (There is a little tiny bit of sarcasm there!!!)
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:54 AM   #13
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
our 3400rl has toppers on all 4 slides and they are Care Free of Colorado and no special cut, looks like the others shown here
Allen
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:00 AM   #14
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Some dealers are not comfortable when there is a challenge. They are afraid to re drill a hole here & there.

For instance: The rear ladder on our 08 was mounted poorly from the factory. The two horizontal inboard supports were installed at a terrible angle. Took it to my dealer, they said I would have extra hole in the back panel. They didn't want to touch it! They said they would have to get authorization from Montana.

I took it home, removed the supports & re drilled holes & remounted it. Took me 20 minutes! Only two small screw holes were showing, so I carefully sealed then with a dab of Dicor sealant.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #15
up2nogood
Established Member

M.O.C. #8293
Quote:

Right, Phil's point makes it clear now. Bingo's is mounted "non-standard" up on the slide flange and likely why your being warned by the installers. In-order to install per Manufacturer's instructions it should be mounted down inside the slide flange trim where there is structure to screw into and then guarantee proper installation.
I have factory mounted toppers, and they are installed the same as Bingo. Without issue. I do not think this is a mistake nor a problem. Apparently there is more structure then one thinks on the lower portion of the flange
up2nogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:15 AM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
[quote]Originally posted by jengelkirk

Phil and Cathy,

If it is not too much trouble, a picture would be great. I assume cutting the bracket hasn't weakened the bracket? DOESN'T APPEAR TO HAVE

This is a closeup of the bracket they cut

Another pic of same bracket

Pic of rear bracket, same slide.

Sorry It has taken me so long to get these to you. I hope they help. Notice in the one they cut how many more screws they put in. Problably could have been a little cleaner cut, but it works fine...

Phil

Old 11-13-2008, 05:19 AM   #17
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Thanks Phil that great info. This is our first 5er that don't have slide toppers. We though we would try one without the toppers. When we are in the RGV the wind does blow, and they do make a noise. Also water pooling on the long one was a pain to deal with. If we see it don't work we will have them added. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:39 AM   #18
jengelkirk
Established Member

M.O.C. #8140
Phil,

Thanks so much for the pictures! We spoke again to the RV service man where we now have our Monty in for some maintenance, etc. We decided to do it like yours. I really do appreciate the pictures! Thank you so much.

It is still going to be around $500 which includes, the awning itself, labor, etc. Just can't see having 3 toppers and none on the kitchen, as I still had to get up on the roof and sweep the kitchen one off. Some nasty things would get on the slideout. So, I guess we will bite the bullet!

Regards,
Janet.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #19
up2nogood
Established Member

M.O.C. #8293
Quote:

I would like to make a little further comment on this subject. This is totally misleading and incorrect to anyone wanting to install the slide toppers on the kitchen slide on a 3400RL.Granted different brand reguire different methods I can't comment on any of the other models because I do not know. The upper flange extends down 1*3/4 inches on the frame work of the slide,therefore giving plenty of structure to hold the screws necessary for installation without having to butcher the awning bracket. If several of the opinions here would of taken the time to move there slide out and take a look you could see what I am talking about.Common sense would of told you that upper flange has to be attached to something and that something is the upper frame work of the slide.

If this sounds a little harsh you are right. Its incorrect information and annoying.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #20
up2nogood
Established Member

M.O.C. #8293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Thanks Noneck and Slickwillie. Sounds like I need to do an inspection over Thanksgiving to assess the condition of the brackets. Who would of thought that the factory installation would or could cause problems?? (There is a little tiny bit of sarcasm there!!!)
Bingo
No need for sarcasm, but take a look where those screws are going and you will see there is not a problem how they are mounted higher up on the kitchem slide.