Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
CPat

M.O.C. #22626
Montana 3820 FK feedback

Hello everyone. We are planning to move away from our 28' crossroads cruiser TT into a fifth wheel. Montana is one on our high picks. Yesterday, we came across a 2017 3820 FK. The unit looked in good shape, other than the front glass near the dining table was cracked.

The dealer is asking $44,900. Looking into NADA, the low retail price is $51,150 so this sounds like a great deal, unless there is something wrong with it.

My question for the forum members include 1. Do any of you have this unit and do you like it or not? 2. Have you had any problems with it? 3. What is your tow vehicle and 4. What size box would you suggest? 6.5' or 8'?

We currently have a 2013 F150 of which we will be selling shortly; our plan is to go up to a 1-ton Single tire diesel. Considering either Ram or Ford as they appear to have higher towing capacity.

Thank you everyone. Look forward to reading a few responses

CPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Front glass window

If you want to negotiate a new front glass window into your deal - I found a thread from a few weeks ago discussing the front glass window. One guy had information about replacement cost that I added up to be anywhere from $1000 to $1400 depending on shipping cost...~$600 for glass + ~same for shipping ($500 to $600) + ~$200 labor to install.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...dshield&page=2
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
First of all, welcome to the forum! We've full timed for 8 years with a Dodge and two different Monty's and love our truck, but to each his own.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Welcome to the forum, wife and I are on our first extended trip of 4 months.
We don’t have that unit but about the same weight.
Pulling with Ford 450 dually (8’) and very happy with performance.
You’ll get lots of comments about trucks just get what you like.
Consider a dually is my 2 cents.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:45 PM   #5
CPat

M.O.C. #22626
Thank you. I will check out the thread that you provided
Old 09-14-2018, 09:00 PM   #6
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
I have a 2016 model 3820FK and got it for the distinct 3 room concept with the Kitchen being the best seat in the morning, drinking coffee from above most trailers, enjoying the view. We are not full timers, so this is a model that is restrictive in basement storage. I have a generator in the front box and a small size storage that is as wide as the trailer. Under the bed, with an outside door for my electric cord. The bedroom king mattress is hard to make in the morning, due to very limited space around the bed and the closet for a washer/dryer would be difficult to use. The buffet seating and table may wear on you with cushions, refrig door and table rotation. The 40 foot trailer is a challenge to get in most of the parks with the sofa slides extending 38 to 40 inches into the utilities on both sides. I run with a 2014 Chevy Long bed Duramax 2500 HD assisted by air bags. The trailer is 12.1K, weighed today on the scales in Oregon. We sort of made our bed with this investment and use it for the Spring and then early Fall time.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:25 PM   #7
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Nice trailer but it will have a pin weight over 3k after you load it. Seriously consider the legal load limits of the truck you want if you don't want the idea of driving around an illegal load hanging over your head. Only after doing the math will you know for sure and I wouldn't doubt that a dually would be in order.

Either bed will work with the right hitch and not necessarily have to be a slider. Good luck and proper research before spending $$ makes for peace of mind.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
CPat

M.O.C. #22626
Thank you everyone for your responses. I believe we have decided against this unit and are looking at a Montana High Country. Model 330/331 RL