Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
drsnook
Established Member

M.O.C. #22992
solar prep and option

Hi, has anyone optioned the solar package with the 265 watt panel and inverter? And if so, about how much $ did it add for the option?

Thanks in advance,

D

Old 11-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #2
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
Just a suggestion, but call a dealer and ask what the option costs on the unit you want? It might vary by model.

I wish solar were that simple but... I'd do a little more research before buying.

From experience... 265 watts of solar won't power a lot, and it's useless if you want to power a residential fridge (think large battery bank and AT LEAST 4 or 5 times that wattage). If you have an RV style fridge, 265 watts could be great if you just want to make sure you have enough electricity when traveling between full hookups or to get your batteries through a long weekend without running a generator. Hair dryers, coffee makers, microwaves, etc.. suck a lot of power in a short amount of time.

Figure out what you want to power with it first, and see if it's enough. If you have an RV style fridge, that's enough for lights and some other occasional electric use. I'm not sure it's what I'd call normal electric use though, and that also depends on where you are located, and what time of year it is. Non-tilting panels won't give you the full 265 watts either.

The idea of having the solar wiring there from the factory (running the wires is a pain) is appealing, but unless the full kit comes with the right wiring, nice inverter, and a good charger, you may end up having to upgrade later. Then there's things like how far the run from the charger is to the battery, and the size of those cables. If they skimp on the cables, charger, inverter, etc... you could loose a significant amount of that 265 watts.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #3
drsnook
Established Member

M.O.C. #22992
Thanks James, my biggest reason for the package is we dry camp a bit and I thought the inverter part would allow us to recline the power theater seating without having to start the gen.

I could just remove the power seating and put a couple of recliners in, but that is a pain.

It looks as if I'll order one instead of buying a stock model because we want a queen bed and every dealer orders the king bed option.
Of course the sales people tell me "we can cut the bed platform and install a queen in the stock models"

D
Old 11-15-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
I'd check to see if the power seating outlet is attached to the inverter, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue overall since you'd only be using if for a short period of time each day.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
BTW we cut our King bed down to a queen and put in a better bed than what came with it
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #6
the social hermits
Established Member

M.O.C. #23042
Watch Josh the RV Nerd's YouTube on solar. He has some good info on it.
the social hermits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #7
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnook View Post
Thanks James, my biggest reason for the package is we dry camp a bit and I thought the inverter part would allow us to recline the power theater seating without having to start the gen.

I could just remove the power seating and put a couple of recliners in, but that is a pain.

It looks as if I'll order one instead of buying a stock model because we want a queen bed and every dealer orders the king bed option.
Of course the sales people tell me "we can cut the bed platform and install a queen in the stock models"

D

I was quoted around $2250 for the 265W panel, MPPT controller, 20A transfer switch and the inverter. I could have probably done it cheaper myself, but I got lazy on that item this time around. I know I paid far less than that, but my out-the-door price was inclusive of all the options and wasn't broken down. I'd assume it follows the 30% off MSRP trailer buying rule so figure around 16-1700 actual cost.

If you want the power recliners to work with the package, you'll need to rewire the main panel as they only give you the fridge and two outlets with the inverter package. The breaker is labeled "inverter" in the panel. I have a thread for that experience of completely rewiring the panel and pulling all the circuits out of it to put on the inverter with an additional transfer switch. My plan next year is to add more panels and upgrade/add another charge controller. There's not a lot of room left on the roof for more than one more 265W panel. I may have to split and put some 150W since they are narrower. The problem is finding similar panels voltages.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #8
Jim.Burke

M.O.C. #22791
If you would like to see the system that is used by Keystone, follow the link below

https://www.futuresalesrv.com/jaboni/

I believe the 265-watt system is what is installed on all Montanas
Jim.Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Burke View Post
If you would like to see the system that is used by Keystone, follow the link below

https://www.futuresalesrv.com/jaboni/

I believe the 265-watt system is what is installed on all Montanas

That's what I got.