Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #21
STIHLNTIME
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21339
My lovely dealer told me it was a must.lol Glad to know it’s not necessary.

Sailun 637 tires Predator 3500 (2) paralleled
STIHLNTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #22
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
With some Dealers and Salesman, I sometimes wonder if they even know which end to connect to the TV.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #23
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondapro View Post
My wife and I are planing to upgrade to a 5th wheel,I am now in the research phase.

So far the Montana 3121 is at the top of my list

After watching the Haylet channel on you tube they seem to not recommend the residential refer, they say there is alot of issues with them because they are not made to be bounced around when towing.

Has there been issues with them?

Thank you.
Welcome to the forum!

The Montana rep at the west coast rally this summer said about 80% of the western units are sold with RV reefers and the number was flipped for the east with nearly 80% sold with residential. Maybe more boondocking in the west?Either one can give you good service - it would not be my primary factor in picking one rig over another.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:34 PM   #24
Markra
Established Member

M.O.C. #18600
18 months 20k miles, about 50 different campgrounds, no problems with the Samsung.
Markra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #25
SherriPie
Established Member

M.O.C. #20752
We have the 3721RL with a residential Samsung and absolutely love it. She stays cold, has a super cold function, and massive freezer. Plus I have an ice maker, love my ice maker. We've been on the road a year now with no troubles. I like her better than the one we used to have at our home. It's all about preferences. Get what you really want and you'll be happy.
2017 Ram 3500 dually
SherriPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:13 PM   #26
Fatkat

M.O.C. #22599
They take the rear window out according to my dealer.
Fatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #27
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Unless you have a VERY narrow entrance door all you have to do is take the doors off the fridge and it will fit thru a standard width door.
All this taking our a window or removing the slide is Scare Tactics.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:31 PM   #28
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
If you goggle problems with Samsung/LG fridges/appliances and or talk to the techs that repair them you will never buy one of them again. It has been said that if they make cell phones you probably do not want to buy appliances from them. A friend of mine bought all new Samsung appliances for his kitchen and all 4 units have issues so bad that they can not be used. Buyer be where.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #29
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatkat View Post
They take the rear window out according to my dealer.
They don't take any windows or pull the slide unless they don't know what they are doing in the first place IT will fit through the door you jest take off the frig doors!
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:54 AM   #30
hondapro

M.O.C. #22641
Thanks for all the replys, we really like the res. refer and it is good to know they are working well.

2016 F-350 6.7 Diesel (AKA towing beast)
hondapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #31
jcurryii
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12636
We have had our Samsung for 3 years this coming spring after replacing the RV refrigerator which caused a fire, resulting in rebuilding kitchen slide. Will never own another gas/AC refidgerator.
jcurryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #32
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
You have to remember Haylet is in the business of selling RVs. I'm not knocking them, just sayin'. Like anybody else they'll order you one if that is what you want, but I suspect they spec order RVs and mostly with the RV fridges. Most people do not full time in their RV and therefore are not as fastidious about whether the fridge is an RV type or a residential so whatever is on the lot is what they end up buying.

Haylet is also basing their claims on rigs that are bought and remain more or less factory equipped. Put on a upgrade suspension like the MOR/ryde IS and I'll wager the incidents of residential fridge failure go down. Your call. With the residential you'll have a greater need for power to run it. That means FHU campsites, or a genny or a lot of solar and the attendant infrastructure on board your rig. Again, your call.

The good news for the 3121 is, it has a very high CCC so the weight penalty of adequate AGM batteries(the typical choice for those with residential fridges and/or full timers), inverter, panels etc can be accommodated without cutting into capacity to carry your regular gear and food and water if needed.

To me, it has more to do with how you RV. if you boondock a lot, perhaps the flexibility of an RV fridge could work for you. If your budget can stand the suspension upgrades, or the solar option, a residential will probably work out just fine. With an RV fridge your solar requirements could be much less. Again it depends on how you plan to use your RV.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #33
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
I hate my 1210 norcold in florida and wish i had a residential fridge , but i hate the Samsung fridge even more as there problematic.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:51 PM   #34
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
If you goggle problems with Samsung/LG fridges/appliances and or talk to the techs that repair them you will never buy one of them again. It has been said that if they make cell phones you probably do not want to buy appliances from them. A friend of mine bought all new Samsung appliances for his kitchen and all 4 units have issues so bad that they can not be used. Buyer be where.
I've repaired those oriental reefers since they were being sold in the US and at first did not like them. They are far better over the last 7-10 years now. No matter what brand you buy, GE, Whirlpool, Maytag (Amana), Frigidaire, LG or Samsung, they all use the same efficient variable speed compressors, computer boards bigger than your laptop, 12 VDC motors , actuators, valves and user interface. If you want to stay away from junk, then let the Frigidaire stay in Mexico where they are made. Over 40 years in the business.
The reason you see so many issues online with LG and Samsung is that the are the most sold units now in the US.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:45 AM   #35
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
I've repaired those oriental reefers since they were being sold in the US and at first did not like them. They are far better over the last 7-10 years now. No matter what brand you buy, GE, Whirlpool, Maytag (Amana), Frigidaire, LG or Samsung, they all use the same efficient variable speed compressors, computer boards bigger than your laptop, 12 VDC motors , actuators, valves and user interface. If you want to stay away from junk, then let the Frigidaire stay in Mexico where they are made. Over 40 years in the business.
The reason you see so many issues online with LG and Samsung is that the are the most sold units now in the US.
I am certainly not any kind of appliance expert at all, but stating there have been better over the past 7-10 years (I do not think so). GONE are the days of buying an appliance and having it last for decades with no issues. Hell, 2 years ago I had a top of the line Trane heat pump system installed in my house. It has thrown fault codes 3 times and stopped working each time. I reset the codes myself and it has been fine. It has been looked at several times, and no one can fine anything wrong with it. IMHO they are putting WAY to much electronic BS in everything to try to meet Government standards and save energy.

Why does my fridge need to be hooked up to the internet ? That does nothing to keep the beer cold. LOL

Sorry for the rant, but when is it going to end ?
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:48 AM   #36
routemaster
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21090
We have had a Samsung RF197 for 5 years in my Keystone.
routemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:13 AM   #37
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I am certainly not any kind of appliance expert at all, but stating there have been better over the past 7-10 years (I do not think so). GONE are the days of buying an appliance and having it last for decades with no issues. Hell, 2 years ago I had a top of the line Trane heat pump system installed in my house. It has thrown fault codes 3 times and stopped working each time. I reset the codes myself and it has been fine. It has been looked at several times, and no one can fine anything wrong with it. IMHO they are putting WAY to much electronic BS in everything to try to meet Government standards and save energy.

Why does my fridge need to be hooked up to the internet ? That does nothing to keep the beer cold. LOL

Sorry for the rant, but when is it going to end ?
What I meant was that the LG and Samsung units have become more reliable (electronics) and much easier to work on (getting to components and diagnosing) than they were when they first came into our market. They were as bad of crap as the current Frigidaire are today. And I totally agree as a service tech that the industry has gone crazy wild with the college boys (engineers) finding ways to meet government energy guide lines. Some of the current reefers have phone apps that can be held up to the hinge and read hidden internal failure codes. It was really sickening ~12 years ago when they started putting big mother boards in them. One of the big Samsung has 4 of them (2 cntrl brds, & 2 inverter boards). Nuts!