Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Timbren update...you're not going to believe this!

The Timbrens came in and when after I jacked up the truck, put support jacks underneath the rear and slid underneath, I couldn't find the original stoppers on either side that I was replacing. Hmmmmmm. Crawled out from underneath, took a side peak and found the passenger side support bracket was gone. Checked the driver side and a sheared bolt was hanging where the stop was at some time screwed onto. No support bracket as well. Wow! No wonder I was porpoising down the road! Don't know when things fell off or were sheared, possibly a year ago on some terribly buckled roads, who knows. But if it weren't for installing the Timbrens I'd never got to the problem, at least for a while. Going out today through Monday camping at my son's while the second grand baby is being born. Can't wait for a smooth pull! It's amazing how He reveals things before they happen!

Old 05-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad you found the problem. Now with the Timbrens you should really see a hugh improvement.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #3
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We really like our timbrens
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Arrived yesterday afternoon at Berlin, Oh.....pulled like a new one! Pleasurable and steady.....hardly knew the Monty was behind us....and our new granddaughter was just born minutes ago! Doesn't get any better!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations on the new granddaughter! Glad to hear you got there in time. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ddettorre

The Timbrens came in and when after I jacked up the truck, put support jacks underneath the rear and slid underneath, I couldn't find the original stoppers on either side that I was replacing. Hmmmmmm. Crawled out from underneath, took a side peak and found the passenger side support bracket was gone. Checked the driver side and a sheared bolt was hanging where the stop was at some time screwed onto. No support bracket as well. Wow! No wonder I was porpoising down the road! Don't know when things fell off or were sheared, possibly a year ago on some terribly buckled roads, who knows. But if it weren't for installing the Timbrens I'd never got to the problem, at least for a while. Going out today through Monday camping at my son's while the second grand baby is being born. Can't wait for a smooth pull! It's amazing how He reveals things before they happen!
I came home after reading this and checked my 2006 Ford f350 Dually. I have them on the front, but nothing on the rear! Am I suppose to have stoppers on the rear of my model of truck in the rear?

leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I love my Timbrens, but I'm sure I don't love them as much as you love your new granddaughter! Congrats!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The only reason I no longer have bumper stops on my rear axle is they were removed when the air bags were installed. I was glad to see that the bumper stops were there to remove. Since I added an overload spring to either side of the rear axle as well, I often go look back there just to make sure all things are good, so I do check.

I check the front when I get under the truck to change the oil. While I'm at it I check the brakes, too. I guess I'm just a Nervous Nellie. Unfortunately, this hasn't stopped me from having my share of mishaps.

I'm glad to hear you didn't have any serious mishaps due to these missing parts. Getting up under there can sure have its surprises.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
Timbrens are my next upgrade. Fortunately, the OEM rubber bumpers are still there. Those concrete roads play havoc on the rear springs, even on 1 tons.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #10
F3fifty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12628
Installed Timbren's on my 2012 F350 after one trip of pulling our 5ver with the OEM Bump stops. Timbren SES bump stop springs are a less expensive option from Air Bags and in my opinion they work very well. Definitely a difference when towing.
F3fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:32 AM   #11
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
2 Months ago I purchased my 2006 Ford F350 dually. When I read this thread I check my front and rear suspension. On the front are Timbrens. I checked the rear suspension and there is nothing there. No Timbren, not even the rubber stops. I can see where they had been mounted, but now there is nothing.

I found a local dealer, and tomorrow I will be installing the Timbrens just one day from a weekend camping trip.

I cannot believe someone would remove the rubber stops/Timbrens without replacing something there before they traded it in. That leaves NO protect for the axel/frame had I had a very heavy load and hit a big bump or hole in the road. I can only imagine the damage I could of caused.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:01 AM   #12
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Okay...you guys all sold me. I ordered a set of Timbrens for the rear axle of my 2012 Ford F-250 crewcab shortbed 4x4 diesel. The truck was squatting a bit with the new big Monte on it. Hope that does the trick. We'll see when the get here and I install them.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #13
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
You're sure going to see a difference! Let us know how it goes after the install and 1st pull afterwards! Thanks!!
Old 05-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #14
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Leemedic...you discovered what I did...except this was 2 years down the road after getting the Ford used and pulling the Monty! Scary!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Maybe the stops were gone because someone installed an aftermarket product (timbrens or air bags), then removed the devices for the new truck and had no rubber stops to put back. When I had the air bags installed I didn't get the old bumpers back (and maybe should have).

If I ever get a different truck all the upgrades I did to this one (and it's a good size list) will stay with the truck for the new owners to enjoy. I figure I would have gotten my monies worth and there's a good chance none of these would fit the new truck anyway. But mostly cuz I'm lazy and don't mind buying new again to install in the new ride.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #16
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
You might be on to something there Art. The fella I bought it through had a truck camper that sat upon it before I bought it. Could be he removed what was there and then never replaced it......hm......but I still found 1 sheared bolt. Who knows, all is well now!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:12 AM   #17
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
OK, Timbrens installed! Looking forward to seeing the difference in towing this weekend.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
Installed the Timbrens and hooked up the Monty. No "dip" whatsoever and perfectly level. Will test the drive tomorrow and see how it rides. So far, they look great.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #19
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
This weekend was the first tow with the new Timbrens. WOW! No squatting, and smooth handling. Well worth the investment.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #20
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ddettorre

You're sure going to see a difference! Let us know how it goes after the install and 1st pull afterwards! Thanks!!
Well this weekend I pulled my old 30' bumper-pull trailer from the storage lot, home and then on to the dealer that's going to sell it for me. I did notice a definite improvement.

I can't wait to see how it works with Monte.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote