Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2004, 03:32 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
RV insurance

This is also posted on fulltimers page

Us greenhorns need lots of help. I will have an immediate need for Insurance to cover my 3670RL and satisfy the note. Like the Montana is "the best bang for the RV buck," I am looking for the best insurance bang for the buck. Since we cannot transition into fulltiming for more than six months, would it be better to insure for casual use and then upgrade when we actually go fulltime? If some of you have already researched all this, I want to pick you brain rather than re-invent the wheel. Thank you in advance for your kind help.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:26 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Check out Good Sam RV insurance. Their quote was less than we are paying now but since we still have a stick house, we wanted to keep everything in one package. We also were told we could reduce the insurance on the Monty if we certified it wasn't moving but then if you needed to, you would have to notify your insurance company so we just went ahead with the full insurance.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:50 PM   #3
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We stayed with our auto and home insurance carrier (State Farm). We asked for a bid from Good Sam and it was twice what we were paying!
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:15 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
It pays to shop around. Keep us posted. Happyrving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:32 AM   #5
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
We went with Progressive because we got more coverage for the same amount of money that our car/house insurance company (State Farm)quoted. We have a disappearing deductible (4 years with no claims and we will have no deductible) and theirs is more like homeowners insurance covering you in case someone gets hurt on your site.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:06 AM   #6
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
We went with National Interstate issued by Thum Insurance Agency. I got the info on Thum from another thread here, there speciality is RVs.Thum has a web site and I got a quote from them there. Just got our policy and it is less than half of what I was paying with my homeowners insuance co.(Country Companies)and the coverage is much better.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:29 PM   #7
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
We use State Farm. Was quite a bit cheaper than Good Sam quote. Haven't had to use it yet and that's where you really find out how good your insurance is.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:17 PM   #8
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
From the sounds of it most everyone is happy with their insurance.

With that said, I just wanted to CAUTION all of you. When shopping for insurance you MUST COMPARE APPLES FOR APPLES!!! Not oranges to apples......

Just because the price is EXCELLENT doesn't mean the coverage is. Just make sure what your buying. You don't want to find out the hard way

P.S. My husband and I own an Insurance Agency, going on 19 years now....Not looking for you guys as customers, just wanted to spread the word to the wise
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:19 PM   #9
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Speaking of insurance, you've all seen the little lizard that Geico has I'm sure. I followed his (hers???)advice and checked Geico. Sure enough, I saved a bundle of money by NOT taking Geico. I have my truck ins. with State Farm and it runs me $1100 a year. Geico would have been more than twice as much for the same coverage. Same for AARP. The 5er my girl friend has insured with State Farm along with her car and home. The RV rate is $335.40 a year with $500 Deductible. And there are no qualifiers. We can use the RV as much or as little as we want. Just don't use it as a rental unit.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 05:48 AM   #10
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
wow! that sounds cheap. I shopped around and the lowest I came up with was $750 yr.(progressive) good sam wasn't even close!!!! alot more $$$
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:30 AM   #11
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
If any of you have an Auto-Owners agent in your area, get a price on your home & auto's. The Montana can go on your auto policy, the liability is extended from the auto policy, and they can give you a multi policy discount on top of that. You can also add your personal property for inside the Montana on that auto policy.

If anyone wants to know what I pay thru Auto-Owners, send me a PM!! And I don't get any extra credit for being an agent either. I do have a GROUP DISCOUNT but alot of you would qualify for one too...

Administrator's-I hope this is okay to post here, if not I will find out when you delete it won't I!
Old 09-16-2004, 01:42 PM   #12
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
I just checked my policy and I have my 2955RL on with my auto and truck.I have comp.collision and towing.My bill is $31.57 for 6 mounths.
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 04:07 AM   #13
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
that doesn't sound right....???? did you leave out a decimal point? do you have a seperate policy for your camper? my truck policy will cover my camper for free, but for liability only. I pay aprox. $750 a year for the comfort of knowing I will have replacement value for my 5vr if a tree fall through it. once the truck is unhooked, it's no longer covered (through the truck policy that is)
Old 09-17-2004, 07:37 AM   #14
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We have separate policy for our trailer, about $300 per year.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 12:17 PM   #15
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
sounds like I'm just paying too much!!
Old 09-17-2004, 02:32 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We went through an agent who researched for us. He found our best deal with National Interstate for the Montana and fulltimers insurance and with Progressive for the truck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 03:37 PM   #17
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Okay, since everyone else is giving up premium's, I pay $238.00 A YEAR for our 04 3400RL.

($5,000 coverage for personal property is included)

Old 09-17-2004, 03:38 PM   #18
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyRay

sounds like I'm just paying too much!!
BillRay,

Do yourself a favor, call an Independent Agency. They have enough markets to shop around for you to get you the best deal
Old 09-19-2004, 03:22 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Priceml, when we still had a stick home and used the Montana for weekends and vacations, our insurance setup was similar to yours with similar price. It didn't go all that many miles per year so overall risk as far as the auto insurance company was concerned is low. When hitched up, the auto policy rider covered it. When unhitched, our homeowner's insurance covered it.

As fulltimers we pay a bit more but it also includes personal liability (fulltimers insurance) similar to renters insurance.

Just wanted to comment that your statement matches with our experience.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 11:58 AM   #20
Montana_1600
Established Member

M.O.C. #1600
Just checked with my daughter who is an insurance agent for a credit union. Asked her how our policy works and she told me that it is an extension of our auto policy with comprehension and collision. She said it is covered just like our vehicle when connected.

Asked her what happens when it isn't connected and she said it is part of our home owners liability.

We do pay $400 per month for our coverage, but it is covered at replacement cost as well.

Jackie Cooley
2955RL
2004 Dodge Ram Diesel
Montana_1600 is offline   Reply With Quote