Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
Speaking of tires...Mission rebate

Finally heard from Tireco today...in the form of a check for $276.30. I filed the claim last September when I replaced all my tires with Coopers. To be honest, only 2 of the tires looked really bad and that's what they must have figured also so they gave me 80% of the cost of 2 new Coopers. Only 80% because I went to a different tire size and that's what they said from the start, so actually I'm pretty pleased. I really never expected to get anything from them so I say "Koodos to Mission"! Barney.

rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
jimcar827
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4829
I can second that Barney. I purchased 4 BFG's due to 2 of my Missions showing excessive tread wear on the edge. Tireco was very generous I thought BUT a little slow in reimbursement. Two at 80% is a lot better then zero at 0%.

Jim
jimcar827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Yep, I got a check for one out of five. As far as I am concerned, Tireco can stick those five Chinese Mission tires where the sun doesn't shine. Sorry, but if you sell that sort of junk, you ought to be out of business in a hurry. JMHO
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I have a hard time giving any Koodos to Mission - the inconvenience is ours, not theirs.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Thanks Brad, you put that a little more eloquently than I did. I just got that check yesterday. Sort of left a bitter taste in my mouth when it comes to Tireco.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
It sure sounds like Tireco is tightening their belt. I sent 4 Missions back in 2007 and received a check for $480.00. Took awhile but my patience payed off.. Sorry to hear you folks are not getting the same treatment...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
Well, maybe not exactly Koodo's??? Anyway, like I said, I wasn't expecting anything.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:06 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Overall tireco has been pretty good about making good in some way on the Mission tires. I mean they don't make them they are the distributors like Mid West sales is the distributor for the Apollo oven. We are just lucky. Had no problems with our Mission tires.Had marathons on our last camper and had no probems with them. In fact never had a tire problem on any camper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Overall tireco has been pretty good about making good in some way on the Mission tires. I mean they don't make them they are the distributors like Mid West sales is the distributor for the Apollo oven. We are just lucky. Had no problems with our Mission tires.Had marathons on our last camper and had no probems with them. In fact never had a tire problem on any camper.
Rich, they made adjustments on some tires, but I sure wouldn't call it "pretty good". All my tires were exactly the same as far as codes. Yet, they tell me the only bad one is the one that slung the tread. Give me a break! Do they seriously think someone is gonna run that cra* after one fails, with them sending out replacements left and right. I have no doubt they would have sent me some more Chinese bombs, had I been willing to gamble on them. My opinion is, they started refunding money before they realized just how bad a problem they had. I don't think you'll see much money change hands from this point out. I would love to hold Keystone's feet to the fire, but I know I can't. So, any future purchase we make we will go elsewhere to purchase, that is, if anyone is still building RVs.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:59 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Perhaps the first place we should be looking at the tire source when purchasng a RV. Don't think many put OEM USA tires on many of them. I guess they are now saying that if it is not broke they can not fix it.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:23 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I would hardly call Midwest or Tireco distributors, more like agents for silent importers that for the most part have probably never seen the product.

There was NEVER an intent of establishing Apollo or Mission as a long term household name. The silent companies that own them had one purpose - build near "knock-off"s at an extremely high profit range and then sell off the company and get out of town. The Chinese sucker punch by US Marketers.

There is no warranty system with Mission or Apollo - several have tried. There is no home company to write to. Midwest and Tireco run interference for the investor companies by putting a happy voice on the phone with a checkbook to buy off complaints until the money is gone. I would say at this point, because neither Apollo or Mission are manufactured anymore - the money has changed hands to a warranty broker that will try to retain as much of the profit as they can while maintaining legal commitments. In the meantime, the original investors have moved on to other scams.

Just my conspiracy theory of course - but pick up the phone sometime and ask to talk to a technical representative at the Apollo factory or even Midwest - there simply is no such thing - and a kid in the warehouse will try to strip down a part off a returned unit and ship it to you to satisfy your complaint, or a nice lady will just ask you to send in the tires and with any luck, you might get money back after the warranty brokers makes some interest off the original funds provided by the company sale.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I don't agree with your conspiracy theories at all. I do agree that these manufacturers and representatives should produce better products or be allowed/forced to fade away. Even though I beleive that TireCo should have done a voluntary recall/replacement on their Mission tires immediately when the missions STARTED FAILING IN HIGH NUMBERS butthey did send me 5 new replacement tires free of charge when I reported tread speration on two of the 5 Mission tires on our late 2006 Montana 3400RL. I have been able to get the parts I needed to repair our second failed Appolo 1/2 time oven from Midwest Sales. So at least I wasn't stuck with a failed Appolo oven with no place to get repair parts. As much as I am displeased with the overall quality of our 5th wheel, I think the whole story needs to be told.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
soonerhooligan
Established Member

M.O.C. #9086
Someone tell me why Keystone and the other RV companies are buying this crap? And why do we as consumers put up with it? We need to complain loudly to our dealers. If we hold the dealers feet to the fire won't they let Keystone know what they are hearing? What would the dealers do if we told them we would not give 50K$ + or - for their trailer with defective, inferior made tires? What if we said "take them off and replace them" or we are walking away? Honestly, we are investing alot of money in these rigs, why should we accept anything as unsafe as these tires. In a way it is really our own fault for puting up with this. I can't figure out why the DOT has not stopped the importing of unsafe products. Someone tell me where I am wrong here. Someone at Keystone tell me.
soonerhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:59 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Google Apollo half time ovens They still make the product, have for a long time.In fact they get high ratings???? Google Mid west supply.. They are a distributor. We did talk to a tech rep at mid west supply a couple of weeks ago (Bob) they sent me a new fan motor for our Apollo. You can buy a rebuilt or new Apollo. They are still being installed as OEM in other brands of Rv's. www.tireco.com They are a distributor of tires..google and read... The tires meet USA industry standards DOT, etc.

yes we should complain loudly. There are hundreds of thousands of us..why do we not complain. I have never understood that.. IF these RV's are poorly built even junk. IF these vendor supplied items ,Mico waves, Tires, Rims are inferior and defective why are they sill around and why do we buy them.. There is something wrong with this picture. IF all this is true then it is our fault because we allow it to happen...Why is that..

None of this makes sense. We are saying these RV's are a poorly built, low quality products built with inferior, defective vendor supplied items provided by shady suppliers that pop up sell defective products then pack up and go away.. Who would buy such a product????

Old 02-27-2009, 02:47 AM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, I think that most of us do not know of the problems with these units until AFTER we purchase and own for awhile. As you have said so many times in the past that most owners are ocassional users and these problems may noy surface for quite some time. Also, if they are such inferior products, why are so many folks on their second, third, even fourth Montana. I have met people on the road that are completely happy with their units, as we are. Unless we are willing to pay high dollar for a unit, and I consider the Montana a mid range unit, then we will continue to see the ocassional problem. I know some have more than others and I can't explain that, but that seems to go with any product now days
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:35 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is my point Phil.Much of this stuff does not make sense. We as many, use our 3400 hard. . We have problems and we report them. That is one of the reasons for forums such as this. No I am not happy with the quality within the RV industry but I beleive that these things are built with the average user in mind and many of us, such as us and you are NOT the average user. Considering the big picture this 06 3400, problems and all, has served us well. If these thing are the junk many of us think they are full of defective low quality unsafe vendor supplied items..why do we buy them and why do we keep them.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:47 AM   #17
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Rich,

I can tell you why we still have our 2006 3400RL. We don't want to take ANOTHER major financial hit by selling it in a bad RV market. We are stuck with it at the moment.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:48 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If we seriously thought that this 3400 was unsafe to tow we would not pull it another foot. We are one of the most vocal individuals on the lack of quality within the RV industry and will remain so. However there is far to much unsubstantiated, undocumented and unverified information being posted. Information is easy to find and I think most of us have the ability to seek out, gather information and come to reasonable conclusions as to its accuracy.
Back on topic... although tireco has not satisfied everyone to that individuals satisfaction. They have been over all very good about addressing waranty issues.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:06 AM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rich,

In as much as you feel too much unsubstantiated, undocumented and unverified is posted here - slide back your chair and get your face out of google for a few minutes and think about what you are saying - your are trying to base your facts on what you find on the web! Anything can be posted on the web with no basis for realism or fact.

Back on topic - "They have been over all very good about addressing warranty issues" Whats up with that - is that your subjective opinion based on fact? Have you had your tires warranted by Tireco?

They are knockoffs - Doesn't take a web browser to figure out that if they look like tires but pop like balloons - they are counterfiet tires. And some lady with a phone and a checkbook doesn't make it right, it just admits guilt.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
To "Google it" is a term used these days meaning to look it up/ find the informant ion. Want to know the stats on your favorite NASCAR driver 'Google it, or Yahoo It or any search engine it.

"Information is easy to find and I think most of us have the ability to seek out, gather information and come to reasonable conclusions as to its accuracy." Type in "tireo tires" on google and you get 536 hits. All kinds of information for ones consideration.

We now have the technology to browse through the libraries of the world. Read Evey history book Review all the news of the day or any day from a variety of sources. Please Don't tell me none of them can be trusted.?????

I do not deny that Mission tires are cost effective OEM tires as are MOST OEM tires. My subjective opinion about tireco warranty is taken from this forum who's members I consider better informed on most every subject. The post indicate that in terms of warranty issues Tireco has been "pretty good " on those issue although not satisfying everyone 100%. In my own case our missions went over 12K miles without incident and looked good but we did replace them as we would have any cost effective OEM tires and that decision was based on information gathered from "the internet" and forms such as this none. If there is certified documentation that they are knock offs and counterfeit tires It would be hard to undestand why they were allowed to be installed on RVs and after seeing that documentation I would be glad to join in any lawsuit on Nanking tire, Tireco, Keystone and the dealer that sold me the camper. A post on a forum sayng they are junk or any vendor supplied item is junk not good enough.

One can also "Google" (IE to look up) Mission tire recalls, Mission tire lawsuits. tireco recalls, lawsutsunderstand, Nanking tire recalls

NSTB tire lawsuite recalls. You can do that on ANY subject.. The learning experience is fascinating.