Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
tracyclifton
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11859
Fresh water tank overflow

While I was installing my skid wheels yesterday I noticed there is no sign of an overflow for the fresh water tank. The drain line is there but no overflow. Is there something I am missing? It has the fill in the back in a small lockable compartment and the fill switch in the front where the city water can fill it. My old unit had the overflow right next to the drain. Is there supposed to be one or do you just watch the indicator light and stop when it reads full?

tracyclifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

The overflow is inside the door with the lock on it in our trailer.

When I fill using the fill valve I open the door and remove the fill cap. When the tank gets full water runs out both openings in a fair amount of volume. I am not sure the overflow alone is big enough to handle all of the water without building pressure in the tank.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:42 AM   #3
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
You will find that most MOCers agree with Phil P in filling the fresh water tank. If you use the power fill, open the little door, and remove the cap from the fill line. The little "overflow" line next to it just can't handle the volume of water that the power fill will supply.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Once upon a time at Chatfield State Park in Co, I verified the fresh water tank overflow to the amusement of several neighbors. That little overflow line certainly handled the volume just fine. Having said that, if I were intending to fill my fresh water tank, I would also remove the manual fill cap.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #5
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
I was told to remove the fill cap when filling the tank from a water hose.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:44 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I usually flip the fill valve and then go back and open the door and remove the hose fill cap. In just the minute or less that it takes to do that there will be a release of air pressure when I take the cap off leading me to believe that the overflow tube isn't even big enough to release the air pressure when using the fill valve let alone the water when it's full.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:51 AM   #7
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Dick,
Leads me to believe you have a blocked vent tube.
Mike
Old 02-20-2012, 04:14 AM   #8
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
In filling the tank, I also remove the cap, just in case. I have found that it depends a lot on the water supply. At home, with 60 pounds pressure, the "power fill" goes quite quickly. One time though, we were at a small campground that had a "lethargic" water system that was so bad, we had to supplement our trailer water use with our on board pump. When I filled the tank there, the overflow barely trickled. Just depends on water pressure and flow at the location you are filling from. But, an ounce of prevention.......!!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #9
tracyclifton
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11859
Thanks everyone. That's exactly what I have. The small vent to the right of the filler hole with a screen on it. Both of my previous 5ers had an additional hose running out of the bottom, that's what I was looking for. I sure will be glad when next month gets here so we can finally get on the road and try everything out. Buying a new rig just before winter isn't the easiest thing to go through. But, I think the savings on the price was worth it.
tracyclifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #10
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I've never had a fill system like this, just the city and water tank inlets. With these you can hook up to city water and then switch it to fill the fresh water holding tank - correct? What is the full procedure then? I see now you uncap the water tank inlet, and then do you just monitor the gauge? Is it best then to reduce water flow once it is almost full so as not to get a lot of overflow? Thanks for any help!

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #11
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Greg,
If I wanted to fill my fresh water tank to it's maximum capacity, I would use either method.
1. Hook up at the convience center and fill from there with the manual fill cap removed. When water comes out the cap you are full.
2. Fill at the manual fill port with a hose.
Mike
Old 02-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It would be a two person job to monitor the gauge since it's inside on the other side of the coach. I doubt the gauge is that accurate when filling anyway.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #13
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Thanks Mike and Dick, appreciate the help.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
Just a thought. A friend of mine developed a problem with one of the faucets in the bathroom (leaking) he purchased a new one and when we took the old one off, we found a dead bug wedged in the valve. After discussing and thinking about it, we concluded that at some time while filling the tank (or venting it) a bug got in the open fill hole and eventually found its way into the water line that supplied the bathroom. Leaving the fill cap off may not be the best idea, even if it is only for a few minutes.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Are you sure the bug hadn't got into the hose at some time in his travels
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:55 AM   #16
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I would always fill my tank from the convenience centre without taking the cap off. One day it became just too much pressure and the line came apart just below where it connects to the plastic opening at the rear. While I was waiting for a good flow of water to escape at the back the inside of my trailed was filling up with water. The dealer told me to always remove the cap at the overflow because too much pressure can build up and if the connections are not all tight enough one will give way. That's what happened to me. The floor dried out but it's not something you really want to happen.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #17
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jim Jarvis

I would always fill my tank from the convenience centre without taking the cap off. One day it became just too much pressure and the line came apart just below where it connects to the plastic opening at the rear. While I was waiting for a good flow of water to escape at the back the inside of my trailed was filling up with water. The dealer told me to always remove the cap at the overflow because too much pressure can build up and if the connections are not all tight enough one will give way. That's what happened to me. The floor dried out but it's not something you really want to happen.
Thanks Jim. These are the great tips we get here. Just too bad we can't get all this knowledge first from the dealer BEFORE we learn the hard way...
Old 03-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #18
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
I have NOT been opening the back water fill but after this discussion, I certainly will begin doing it. Thanks for the information. You all probably saved me from flooding my trailer. Thanks again, I really do appreciate it.
jetenbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #19
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Begs for the question to be asked "Why in the hell would a company install an air purge line too small to handle filling from the power fill".
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote