Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2017, 06:34 PM   #21
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
So I came home today from work and went right into the building where my montana lives. Disconnected the power cord. Took off the water heater cover and removed the switch and its 2 wires. Plug the camper back in to check for voltage and I get nothing. Go inside and turn on the inside switch and get nothing. Thinking WTF it worked on shore power a few weeks ago what gives. Went into house to get a cold beverage and discover the power is out. LOL. Well that explains why I was not getting anything on the meter.

I few hours later the power comes back on. I check again with the inside switch in the off position and I get nothing (thinking I was going to get 12 volts. I turn on the inside switch and check again and low and behold I get 120 volts like several of you guys said it was.

So I take back all my previous posts being very adamant about it being 12 volts. I was dead wrong which I clearly admit. Sorry

So the 12 volt inside switch apparently sends 12 volts to a relay that sends 120 volts to the switch on the outside of the heater that sends 120 volts to the element when that switch is turned on.

beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:54 PM   #22
Good Life
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19869
RIGHT!
2016 3721RL
Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:33 PM   #23
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Got home and pulled switch. It is a 110 AC toggle switch. The bottom wire had melted the bottom of the switch, but did not trip breaker. Replaced switch, and wire attachments, and everything is working fine. I left it on for 3 days in the driveway. But....without knowing why the switch failed, I plan to never leave it in the "on" position overnight until I am confident it is working ok and is safe. My guess is the cheap OEM toggle switch was defective. I replaced the anode rod while I was at it.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #24
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
My switch also melted and the heater quit working. Bypassed the switch until I could find a new switch and decided that I didn't need the switch after all. Has been bypassed for 3 years now, just make sure you have good connection and use a waterproof connector.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote