Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Vin Number incorrect after 6 years, Now what!

I have had my 3400RL since 2007 and bought it from an individual. I Transferred the Title and I have had tags since the first one that came due in June of 2008. This year the probate office is telling me the Vin Number does not exist. The Vin# is stamped in large bold letter on the frame where the pin box is attached(yet I can't seem to find the vin# anywhere else). I've call Keystone and they tell me the first series of letters indicate a 5th wheel model 3452 and there is a E at the end of the 1st series that tells her it should be an Everest. The last series of numbers (last 8) tell her a different story and the unit should be a Mountaineer pull behind.Keystone also says this Vin# does not exist. The probate office will probably issue the tag (we go through this every year)but where does this leave me if I want to sell? Any Clues? Steve

FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
In some states if you try to sell a vehicle with a questionable VIN, you will pretty much be up on Everest without any pitons...

Sorry.
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I would try to find a way to get this mess straightened out. I know it has been 6 years, but there must be a way. A little side story for you.

In 1993 I bought a 1994 Nissan Altima from the Nissan dealer. I traded a 1985 Mercury Cougar for it. I never noticed the registration when it arrived, I just slapped the tag on and went merrily on my way. The vin number was correct, but the vehicle description read 1994 Mercury Cougar. I later discovered this and tried to get it straightened out. The bank had the title, which was also incorrect on the vehicle type. Try to get that bureaucracy to release the title for correction when you still owe money on the car.

Fast forward, one late night I'm driving home, and the red lights came on, followed by back up police. When I was pulled over I was "asked" to get out of the car. At first it looked like a stolen vehicle as the tag was on a Nissan Altima, not a Mercury Cougar. After several tense moments, I politely suggested they look at the vin number. It matched. I explained it was a dealer screw up from the beginning.

Since the bank sold the loan, no one could find the title or at least couldn't be bothered to look. So I told them, ok, I'm done making payments, come and get your Mercury Cougar. Folllowing that contest, finally, someone woke up at the bank and got the title amended and the correction flowed down to the registration. Let us hope you o not have this type of nightmare to endure.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Aren't VIN numbers in more than one place? if so cannot Keystone advise or assist with VIN location?
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
After having been in the towing and salvage business many years, I've learned thst you do not want to have trouble with the Department of Motor Vehicles which control title vehicles such as yours. They have knowledge of several locations on all vehicles where vin #s are located. These are not public knowledge. I would call the local agency and ask for help.....for example, engraved into the frame, engraved into the axles, numerous others. They will locate and verify. Get a letter from them stating what they found for future reference. Good luck.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
This may help or not, but our vin is on the "pinbox" held on with two rivets.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parts Ed

This may help or not, but our vin is on the "pinbox" held on with two rivets.

Bad place for a vin since a lot of us change the pinbox.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Take your coach and all paperwork down to your DOT inspection center. (Actually I'd take the paperwork and a photo of the VIN tag of your coach and go there 1st). Explain to the Office what the situation is and what your options are. In most states, the DOT will need to do a VIN history search on the coach first and foremost. Once their VIN history is complete, they will most likely tell you that this coach will need to have a new DOT VIN Tag assigned to the unit. It is a sticker they will apply to your coach that will be accompanied with a certification letter for you to take down to the DMV. The DMV will issue you a new title with the new "Re-VIN" tag number. At some point they will need to physically inspect your coach - be sure to locate an inspection station that is large enough to get your coach into.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
The VIN on the Monty is the actual VIN, so Keystone has a problem. I would think if you took it to a Keystone dealer, they could visually verify it and work something out with Keystone to send you something for the DMV.
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Thanks to all, The weird thing is my title and the Vin# match and is stamped into the frame @ the pin box where Keystone said it would be. They also said it would be at the bottom of the sticker on the driver side by the pin box as well(that is the one that is missing). Pat, It would be great if Keystone would help me work this out but I guess for now "if I get my tag" I'll just put it on and worry when I need to. I ask Keystone if this could have been an inside job and driven off their yard un-noticed and she said not possible, yet I can't imagine any other way. Any ideas as how and if my RV is hot or just sloppy record keeping @ the factory? I've almost paid this dang thing off too. Steve
Old 06-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Steve, our VIN is on a metal plate attached on the drivers side just above the landing gear on the body of the RV itself.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:25 AM   #12
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I am not sure when Keystone started putting the VIN and weight ratings on the inside of the trailer. Our 20009 Montana has it in only 2 places that I have found. On the side of the body just above the landing gear and inside one of the cabinets.

If you do find a tag with Keystones name on it with the same VIN then take a digital photo of it and see if Keystone will help you.

The only problem with getting the DOT in Florida to issue you a new VIN is they will change the title to read “Rebuilt” or something to that effect.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #13
Bruce.B
Established Member

M.O.C. #9794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FLSTS03

I ask Keystone if this could have been an inside job and driven off their yard un-noticed and she said not possible, yet I can't imagine any other way. Any ideas as how and if my RV is hot or just sloppy record keeping @ the factory? I've almost paid this dang thing off too. Steve
Remember that Everest is an orphan. I don't recall when that happened, but my wild speculation is that the chassis was originally ordered from the supplier (Lippert?) for use as an Everest. Then, thanks to abandoning the Everest line, it was never built before the brand disappeared. So the chassis ended up available for use as a Montana. If this guess is right, it's an issue with incomplete paperwork at the factory- which is your whole point. But Keystone may find it a lot easier to resolve if they know what wood pile to look in.
Bruce.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
campfire42
Established Member

M.O.C. #10283
We have a weight chart including VIN# on the inside of one of our upper kitchen cabinet doors of our Mountaineer. Maybe you do too.
campfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #15
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Thanks Campfire42 I'll look this weekend...I rec'd my tag in the mail today, so my Title vin# and Tag vin# match. Crazy ain't it...
Old 06-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #16
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Update;

Went to place the decal on the Monty and found my tag has been stolen. When to DMV to get a replacement tag and "you guessed it" right back where I started from. Hour later, after tracking down a supervisor, I have my replacement tag again.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #17
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Look on the top of front axle on drivers side. You will need bright light and maybe sandpaper. it is engraved not a sticker. hard to see.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #18
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
update; Another year gone by and tags will be due again come June. Anyone have a name @ Keystone that might help me fix this? Can't seem to get beyond customer service. I want to go camping but I'm afraid to travel until this is fixed.

Steve
Old 02-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #19
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
I had a serious issue with our MH. I started with customer service and slowly proceeded up the chain of command...being very courteous and explaining the facts. After six months and five letters, I got hold of a manager who said, "you need to bring that coach here to the factory and let us take a look at it." Long story short, they fixed it (took two weeks) and reimbursed me for over $700 in fuel costs.

You need to talk to somebody in authority.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #20
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Start with Mike Mack, president of the Montana division. His email is mackm@keystonerv.com Ask him to put you in touch with someone at the Montana division that can help you straighten this out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote