Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Coming out of the Closet

I have let the people at work know so; I can now let my Internet friends know.

WE ARE GOING TO BE FULLTIMERS!!!!!!

It took us 3 ½ months to sell the house but, with all of the bad housing news that doesn’t seem so long. We move into our Montana next week and close escrow the following week. I will retire at the end of the year and we will head for Quartzsite.

We are only in our mid-fifties but, have been planning to retire early and become fulltimers for years. We attended Life on Wheels back in 2002 before we bought an RV. I have been soaking up information from forums and blogs for years. When our youngest moved out we decided it was time to go.

We are excited and scared but, mostly it all seems unreal after so many years of planning.

See you out on the road.

“Life is not a dress rehearsal, don’t be afraid to laugh, love and retire early.”

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Grant,
No need to be "scared" because there are many of us who have gone through the same thing and we're still going. You'll make it too and have lot's of enjoyment in the meantime.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Congrats Grant. Hope you will love it. It is a great life.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Congratulations to the both of you! Your years of hard work and planning are now going to pay off...Enjoy the new journey.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations! We started at 55 and 53 and can tell you it's great to do this while still healthy enough to enjoy it. Have fun!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations and have lots of fun.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
Way to go Grant & Kathy!!!!
You are really going to Love it! We will see you at Quartzsite and then in Tucson for the Spring Rally? Give us a shout if you come near Yuma so we can hook up! Have fun.

Joy
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
I can feel your excitement!! Best of luck and safe journeys!
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:44 PM   #9
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Am really happy for you! Hope it's better than you dreamed it would be! Wishing you safe travels!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #10
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
BirdingRVer-
Have fun! It sounds like you have really planned for this. No doubt you have many good times ahead!

Now straight the the real point....
mid 40's huh! ( I'm envious!)
This pose other questions.

What is the average age when Rvers go to fulltiming?

What age bracket where you when you began to full time?

Has anybody gone to fulltiming, then went back to living in a stickhouse again?
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hey man, you ought to be scared. After all, you are a social salmon swimming upstream into the face of societal norms. You know what happens when salmon swim upstream? Bears, grizzly bears. Wow, what a swim even if the bears getcha. At least you ain't no mud bottom catfish. Swim man swim and have fun doing it.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:02 AM   #12
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Congratulations, When you start fulliming its like jumping into a swimming pool, at first the water seems cold but once you get use to it its great and you don't want to get out.

Good Luck and hope to see you on the road.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:07 AM   #13
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Thank you all for your good wishes!

PartyCrashers - We are mid-50s not mid-40s. We just look young because of all that clean California living all of these years.

Joy, The Quartzsite Montana Circle is a couple of weeks after we hit the road; I can't think of a better place to start our great adventure than the "Woodstock" of RVs that I have read about for all of these years. Not sure how long we will stay (our only boondocking experience was the Spring Escapade) but, we plan to be there. The Spring Rally is later than we currently plan to be in Arizona but, as we get closer we can let the weather decide for us.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:10 AM   #14
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Grant and Kathy, congratulations on your retirement plans. We hope to see you at Quartzsite.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:00 PM   #15
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
How utterly exciting!
Keep posting on how it goes, 'cause we're a little behind you in the timeframe but interested in the experiences you'll have.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #16
skbstone
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7371
I have another question to add on to the PartyCrashers for all you full timers out there.

I'm hearing that you sell your house, but what do you do with all your "stuff"? After 35 years of marriage, we have boat loads of stuff. I would love to full time someday, but all that STUFF?????

Sharon

Yantis, Texas
skbstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Terry & Sharon
You get rid of most of it. Give some to your kids, grandkids, etc. Give some to charity, sell some and if you really can't part with it, store it. We just did it. Not all that painful and our Monty has so much storage space, we have a lot with us. I think it helped that I had just had to clear out my parents home after my Mother died. Most of the stuff meant something only to them.
Happy trails.............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #18
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Good Luck to you two!!!!!

Hope you love it as much as we do, full timing since July 1. Life on the road is wonderful.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:58 AM   #19
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Terry & Sharon,

I have to echo what Parrothead has said. We have been married for 36 years and have accumulated a lot of stuff but, to paraphrase what Sue said "If we were to pass away our kids would just end up throwing it out anyway". We gave some to the kids, gave some to charity, sold some on Craig's list and at a garage sale and just threw away some.

It was mixed bag parting with things. For some things it was "why did we keep this" for others it was "I forgot we had this or I had forgotten where this was". Yes, there are somethings that are hard to part with but, if the kids don't want them in the end they will just be tossed anyway.

We have to be completely out of the house this coming weekend, and where we store our Monty we can't open the slides. Right now stuff is piled on the bed, the sofa, on the floor and bays are full. I have no idea what we are going to do with the stuff currently in the house that we are using but, need to take with us.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #20
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
Grant,
We just went through the same thing last month. We were so overwhelmed with boxes in the 5th wheel that we rented a 5x5 storage locker and put most of them in it. Then we started bringing a few boxes at a time back and getting organized. That worked much better than moving the same things fifty zillion times. We just emptied the last box yesterday and it was a great feeling of accomplishment
We do have two pods in permanent storage but they're only 5x7x8 and not nearly as expensive as storage lockers. Plus, they're more secure and stored inside a warehouse.
If you can't open your slides, I'd say you're going to have a tough time Good luck!
Judy
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote