Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2005, 01:51 AM   #1
montanared
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3903
We took the plunge....

Dave and Kathleen White here. After 30 years in the military, we have settled down in Richmond, Kentucky. Started RVing in 2001 with a 27 foot Prowler. It is a great trailer, but as much as we use it.... just not big enough. So we did LOTS of research (I have been lurking here for a while reading YOUR comments) and we have looked at several manufacturers. Montana won hands down. Next Saturday we take delivery of a 2005 Montana 3685FL. I do a lot of NASCAR races, so I am having an Onan 5500 LP generator installed (which is why the one week delay).

The fact that I am originally FROM Montana did play a small emotional part in my decision, but I am also the type who crawls under things to check quality. Emotion goes out the window when I lay that much cash on the table. I did look deep inside many rigs and determined that Keystone makes a mighty fine product.

My tow vehicle is a 2005 F-350 Superduty with diesel, special towing transmission, and built in trailer braking package.

See ya on the road!!

montanared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 03:56 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Congratulations on the new Monty and many miles of happy trailering, you made a good choice.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 04:06 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome Dave and Kathleen to the MOC and we all thank you for serving and protecting our country for so many years.

Seems to me that those willing to do the thorough research and look away from a few naysayers all come to the same conclusion, Montana hands down.

As you prepare to pick up that new 3685FL take a look at the 2 PDI (PreDelivery Inspection) Checklists linked below. I would suggest that you print one of these check lists and take it with you on the day you pick up your new rig. Following this check list, go over your new rig with a fine tooth comb. This is a very time consuming project and it could require an overnighter at your dealers. You quite possibly may not find a problem but it is far more desirable to find any problems before any deal is finalized and while the rig is still sitting on the dealers lot and not in your driveway or in that campground somewhere down the road.

A very thorough PDI (PreDelivery Inspection) Checklist
Another PDI (PreDelivery Inspection) Checklist
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 04:32 AM   #4
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new Montana. Let me add my thanks for your service to our country. Sounds like you will enjoy those miles of adventure even more now that you have the Montana. We had an older 30' Prowler Regal that we traded in on the Montana. It was a good unit, but older and with no slides - decided we were tired of falling over each other trying to move around in there. The Montana is luxury accomodations. Safe travels.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 05:16 AM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
welcome aboard!!

You are gonna LOVE the FL space and comfort!! I haven't looked at the 05s...do they have two entry doors or only one? We preferred the single entry door on the '03 to the two entry doors on the '04. Just personal preference. Also, did they put the dining room slide on the driver's side? Makes the awning use a lot easier/better.

As a military retiree, you have access to some great military FAMCAMPS around the country. Check them out. If you need any other info re the FAMCAMPS, drop me an e-mail.

Looked at your website...great stuff!!

Again, welcome!
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 05:25 AM   #6
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Thank you for serving our country. And mighty fine choice you have made in the 3685FL. We have the 3400RL because I couldn't climb up the stairs that much. Seemed that only using the stairs to go to the bathroom and to bed was a better option for us. But love the door off the bedroom and the one off the kitchen. Congratulations on that generator. That is the one that we have also. Works great.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 05:40 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, Dave and Kathleen and congratulations! That's a beautiful rig you've put together there. You'll love the way the Ford tows your Montana. That new integrated brake controller is the smoothest I've ever experienced. Hope you enjoy the experiences you're sure to have.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 08:19 AM   #8
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Welcome aboard Dave and Kathleen! Congratualtions on your new Monty - know you will just love it! What a great combination you will have. Many happy trails to you .....
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:43 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good Choices. Nice total rig. Welcome to the Montana Madness.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:10 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Vickster, is that truck in your signature the same one you had at the rally last September?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Congratulations to your step up to a Montana. We love our 3380. You have a great setup with the Ford and the 3685. We are also retired military and recently purchased the campground book that lists and describes the military Famcamps. If you don't have one, it would be a great investment. It lists all the campgrounds and golf courses available to the armed forces. Happy traveling!.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:26 AM   #12
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Congratulations on the Montana AND the Ford! I have a feeling you will enjoy both of them! Drive safely and have a good time.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:39 PM   #13
montanared
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3903
Thanks to everyone. I can see where this will be a great group to belong to. Looking forward to meeting some of you as we travel lifes highways...
montanared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:28 AM   #14
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
welcome and congrats! nice choice.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote