Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Bob Love
Established Member

M.O.C. #9316
Replacing day-night shades

This may be the wrong location for this post, if so let me know. I would like to remove the daynight shades that came on this 2007 3475RL and replace them with either house type shades or curtains using a rod. Has anyone done this and if so how did you remove the valances and the day-night shades? I am thinking I may not have to remove the valances if I can just get the shades off.

Bob Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bob there have been several postings on this subject in the past. I think there was one withing the last two weeks or so also. Check out the threads and you might even go into the archives to check things out there also on the day/night shades. You can also go to the Search engine above and key in day/night shades and find more. I think there may even be main thread on the day/night shades on the main MOC screen! I myself prefer the day/night shades because they give us the privacy at night and we can see through them in the day to see what is going on but nobody can see in clearly! This us just my opinion on them however!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Bob,
Sorry to say, you'll have to remove the valances and some of the screw are hard to find
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

Bob,
Sorry to say, you'll have to remove the valances and some of the screw are hard to find
...and those screws (if like mine) are those @#$% square headed srews...I never seem to have the right size. Best of luck removing them.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I got a tool set with my Monty as a "gift" from the dealer and it came with a set of 3 square bits. The middle one works with all the screw heads I have found all over the rig (there are quite a few of them on my Monty, not just for valances).

The screws are definitely embedded deep into the valance's fabric and through the wood and walls and at a pretty good angle so they are well hidden. Just dig around with the bit into anything that looks like an indentation and you will hit the screw on the head. Check the inside corners and one or two in the middle and there might even be some on the exterior, but the installers wanted them hidden so those will be rare. The good news is that there usually aren't too many to hold up a valance.

With the valances off it should be very obvious how to remove the day/night shades.

If you use shallow hardware to mount the new window coverings you should be able to reuse the valances if you so desire. I would only recommend that your hang the new window coverings with "earthquakes" in mind. The fasteners and materials should be installed to minimize movement while towing to prevent damage to them or anything around them.

When you're done, I hope you post your new decorations. That may inspire more new projects in the membership.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:32 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I recently had to remove one of mine as the strings broke. As Art says, the screws are there, SOMEWHERE. It looks like they just screwed indiscrimanently into the valances. Once you get the valances off, the shades are straight screwed into the wall, at least mine were. BTW, everyone should have several of those square bits. I think it is the number 2 size. As Art says, please post pics of your new shades if you don't mind. Sometimes, inspiration runs rampant amongst our members!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:20 AM   #7
coyoterick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10239
Yes the screws are square-drive - they are a #2 Robertson. I bought a Robertson screwdriver at Home Depot when I restrung a couple of my shades.
coyoterick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
How can you own an RV and not have a square head driver???
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
Just removed and had repaired the rear window shade. I was told by the repairman that these shades are to be fastened with the top plate flat to the underside of the valance. It was installed at the factory with the top plate vertical and screwed flat to the wall. I believe all my shades are fastened the same way! The repairman stated that by installing it flat with the wall, the shade would have less life to it. Any experts out there as to which way is correct or should I call Irvine Door and Shade- The manufacturer of the shades as to the correct way to mount it?
madeforeachother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
The strings do not move through the top plate, only a very little with the spring movement. I cant see any reason it would make a difference, but it does look like it should be mounted on the valance not the wall. I changed mine to mount on th valence. Just my preference.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #11
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
Thanks for the response. I will mount this one to the valance as you did.
madeforeachother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:18 AM   #12
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
I removed the valances to have the windows tinted, and they seemed to come off quite easily. All the day/nite shades were attached to the wall, and not the valance. The shades in my 2003 Monty were really "day/nite", but the ones in my 2009 are more like "day/dusk".

RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:21 AM   #13
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Here is an alternative for day/night shades that some RV companies are using. We have the two shade system on our SOB and like them a lot better than day/night shades. They do need good support when mounting them to the wall.

http://www.mcdinnovations.com/index....d=77&Itemid=99
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
We replaced our about 6 months ago, with wood 2" slat blinds. From Blinds.com. I measured the old day-n-night shades and they fit under the old valances. The big back window I had to install the blinds on the valance, it worked great. We are very happy on the looks and ease of operation.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote