Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Tinkle-Tinkle

Haven't used the trailer in a little while, so went out yesterday to check on it there in my place. Got done looking outside and inside, closed the entrance door and heard this tinkleing noise from the rear of the trailer, walked around to the back and saw that the big rear window had shattered into a gazillion pieces. Cleaned up the pieces from inside the trailer and all I could get from the ground out side, interesting thing, all of didn't even fill up a big Cheerios box. Now then, has anyone seen or heard of this happening before?

ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
NO, but I have always thought about what if the BIG window in the back shattered and thinking it is good I have insurance
Old 12-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The interesting thing with safety glass is that it takes impacts to the surface with ease as long as it isn't too hard. What it doesn't do well at all is a hit to the edge of the glass. Shatters very easy. Look at the joint all around the window frame where the glass should still be residing but isn't. And if you find anything strange in there...like screw installed wrong...or the window frame messed up...take a picture. But it could be that the fifth wheel, as it sits, had enough twist in the frame to stress the window frame and with the cold temperatures and a brisk closing of the door sent the window glass into the "final frontier". John
Old 12-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Had this happen on a cold night with a large Dodge sedan many years ago. Nothing to cause it but shutting the door and the window became a box load of tiny pieces.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I'm sure it didn't cause your window to break, but things like this run through my mind every time someone slams the door instead of gently latching it. Just a peeve of mine.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Just replaced one of our driver side living area windows this past summer but I do believe a BB gun was involved....Not sure what kind of insurance will pay for but I sure didn't have it. Dang thing is expensive that's for sure. But my RV insurance and my extended warranty would not pay for it unless it happened going down the road. Guess I didn't think quick enough...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
Had this happen to a suburban we owned it was still months old the pressure from the door closing quick and the cold weather caused the glass to shrink it shattered. After fixing it my Chevy dealer went around the truck and looked at all of the vents and there are many we didn't know about and found they were all plugged with tape and some weird glue they use at the factory during the paint process. Somebody took the day off the day it should have been removed and then checked. Or just didn't care so I found the problem. Your coach should vent someplace just not sure where. I would look for a screw or something sharp in the window track as suggested as that's more than likely the reason for this event but I thought I would share my experience just in case.
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I have often wondered about the effects of frame flex, on RV windows. I have owned buildings where glass doors shattered, same as you describe. In every event, the door frame was too tight. I agree with earlier poster, take photos and see if frame is square.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by boat391

..... Your coach should vent someplace just not sure where.....
These rigs have plenty of vents, more commonly known as slide seals.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #10
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Thanks for comments-- rig is 2008 model I would think if frame is not square or screw is in wrong place would know before now. We have had some cold (for us) weather, the day this happened it had warmed to 65 deg. I agree there are plenty of places for the pressure to vent. Could have been hit at some time, just don't know for sure. I live way out off the beaten path so don't believe B-B gun got it. With deer season going on I would be more suspect of a large caliber shot. :-) Good thing--insurance will pay for repair, no deductible.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote