Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #21
JohnandJoyce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20896
Or it may/hopefully be as simple as a bad splitter. I will post what I find tomorrow. Thanks again.

JohnandJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:05 PM   #22
JohnandJoyce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20896
How do you post pictures?
Old 02-17-2018, 06:28 AM   #23
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

When you open a reply using the "post reply" button scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see “manage attachments” open that and follow the instructions to upload your pictures.
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:50 PM   #24
JohnandJoyce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20896
I looked at it today. Switched wires on the splitter and the slitter is good. Ran a cable from the tv that worked and the main tv, the main tv now works. So the big tv is ok. Next I removed the wall cable receptical and replaced it on the tv i know is ok. So the wall in/out receptical good. Sooo bottom line is the cable from the splitter to the tv is bad. Hopefully it's only a bad plug end of the cable. Hate to have to pull a new cable through that mess of wires. Any suggestions on whare to get a inexpensive cable end that is easy to install?
Old 02-19-2018, 04:22 AM   #25
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandJoyce View Post
I looked at it today. Switched wires on the splitter and the slitter is good. Ran a cable from the tv that worked and the main tv, the main tv now works. So the big tv is ok. Next I removed the wall cable receptical and replaced it on the tv i know is ok. So the wall in/out receptical good. Sooo bottom line is the cable from the splitter to the tv is bad. Hopefully it's only a bad plug end of the cable. Hate to have to pull a new cable through that mess of wires. Any suggestions on whare to get a inexpensive cable end that is easy to install?

Hi

I have been watching this but don’t really have much to contribute because this is a very difficult thing to try to repair in all RV units. I have worked on many for friends and have always avoided running new cables.

But here is something that we found on our unit that may help.

We had a problem with the TV in the living room as well and I decided to find out why we had to disconnect one of the cables to get it to work.

I found the following.

In the area where all the cable came together there was 6 total.

Four went up toward the roof and two went down toward the floor.

So I started using a fox and hound tool and found that the four that went up went to the crank up antenna, two to the VCR “loop” at the big TV and the Big TV. The one that went down went to the basement outlet and the bedroom TV.

My problem was in the wiring provided for the VCR hookup.

I abandoned the VCR idea all together and use only on cable now. This cable goes to the “loop” and I ran a patch cable from one port on the wall plate that the “loop” was on to the TV.

This “loop” is commonly located near the big TV.

In our case the wall plate for the “loop” was located where you could not see it without removing the Fire place and crawling in under the TV to reach it.

That fixed our problem.

The only recommendation I have is find the “loop” provided for the VCR hookup and do your testing there first.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:52 AM   #26
JohnandJoyce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20896
Loop followup

Ok thanks, I have to remove the Fireplace to get at it. What is stopping me is the rig is still under Manu warranty, and I don't want to do something that they are going to say that I caused the problem. But if I take it in they are going to take there time and who knows who will be working on it.

Anyone have an electrical wiring diagram of the Montana 2018, 3810MS. My FAN/LIGHT in the living room above the fireplace area is not working. I don't think it is getting any power. Anyone know where the wires to that and the junk box is so I can test it to see if it's getting any and from where?

Thanks again, It's good to know you are not out there alone!!
Old 02-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #27
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Are you using the big rocker switch in the hallway electrical center to turn your fan on?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #28
rsp
Established Member

M.O.C. #19696
Did you make sure the ceiling fan switch at the control panel is turned "on". At my control panel the switch is not marked so it was total trial and error when I stumbled on the associated switch. The switch controls all power to the fan then you can control the light and fan with the pull chains. Good luck. We really are enjoying our 2017 3810MS Legacy
rsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:11 PM   #29
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
This is very similar to what I use; https://www.lowes.com/pd/IDEAL-Datac...ool/1000091975
Buy the tool and a box of connectors and go at it. Resolved all my TV issues. When we purchased our 5'er this forum quickly convinced me Amish crimps were crap.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:39 AM   #30
JohnandJoyce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20896
Rocker switch!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Are you using the big rocker switch in the hallway electrical center to turn your fan on?
Yes!!! It was the rocker switch. Never knew what it controls. 👍 Still don't. Has to control more then the fan....👍👌 Thank you again. As I said before, I was ready to tear it apart today!!
Old 02-24-2018, 09:05 PM   #31
JohnandJoyce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20896
We have the same unit. We love it. Having a problem with the living room main tv. A channel search produces NO channels. I get roof ant channels on the bedroom and outside tvs. Did you have any problem with the roof ant? Let's stay ontouch. You have a 2017 and we have a 2018. Can bounce off troubles and fixes for the unit. I put a nice peg board up for my tools, etc, in the pass through. Safe travels, John

I have to take the fireplace out to get at some tv wire and splitter behind it. I don't know how to get the smoked glass off?
Old 02-25-2018, 07:31 AM   #32
rsp
Established Member

M.O.C. #19696
We had the same problem with the tv. I had to make sure the booster was off, then I went thru and tighten all the cable connections I could find, then magically all started working. However I'm not really sure what fixed it. Just for info I just finished changing all the exterior lights, compartment lights and running lights to led's. Things got brighter. I also added a real fire extinguisher as that tiny one made me nervous each time I saw it. Enjoy your new rig.
rsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:22 PM   #33
JohnandJoyce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20896
There is supposed to be a cable splitter connected from the main tv cable to DVD to the TV. Did you find a splitter in the the main tv area? I don't want to pull the fireplace if nothing is connected behind there. I purchased the cable end installer and changed that end. Didn't work... Tightened all the connections with no diff. Still no ant reception from tha. Put a jumper wire to it and the tv works well!!!!!. I have no idea how to send pictures!
Old 02-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #34
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandJoyce View Post
. I have no idea how to send pictures!
Below the quick reply box, click on Go Advanced. Then scroll down and click on Manage Attachments. Then you can select up to 4 pictures on your computer to attach to your post.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #35
BillnLonda
Established Member

M.O.C. #23085
I’m interested to know if there is a splitter behind the fireplace?
BillnLonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #36
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
Same ????? from another newbie

I don't know about Bill, but our new to us 2014 3150RL has 3 coax connections in the bedroom, cable, antenna, satellite. BUT in the living room there is only 2 one marked cable and the other isn't marked???????? Do they tie the antenna into one of those 2, or isn't the antenna available in the living room.. Hate to tear things apart if somebody knows the answer. Of course Keystone is USELESS as far as answers to any questions
Thanx in advance. Your answer to the original poster might help me too!!

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:36 PM   #37
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
In our rig, the only thing behind the fireplace is a woofer that was just floating around, not attached to anything. I have since anchored it to a wall. What I did find was a splitter behind the TV, attached up high, and all the connections were very loose. There is also a splitter in the upper space above the TV where the DVD player is located, which split the antenna to the radio input as well as the TV input, and this was also very loose. When I changed satellite boxes to Wallys, and ran HDMI cable from the box to the TV, I discovered these splitters. I also replaced questionable antenna coax cables with higher quality cables, and the TV picture is super sharp now, with both satellite as well aswith the OTA antenna.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:30 AM   #38
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillnLonda View Post
I’m interested to know if there is a splitter behind the fireplace?
There is no way to accurately answer this question with out knowing the Year and Make of your Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdgood1 View Post
I don't know about Bill, but our new to us 2014 3150RL has 3 coax connections in the bedroom, cable, antenna, satellite. BUT in the living room there is only 2 one marked cable and the other isn't marked???????? Do they tie the antenna into one of those 2, or isn't the antenna available in the living room.. Hate to tear things apart if somebody knows the answer. Of course Keystone is USELESS as far as answers to any questions
Thanx in advance. Your answer to the original poster might help me too!!
A 2014 should still have the dedicated satellite lines direct to the LR TV and the Bedroom TV along with another cable line, shared with the OTA antenna which came out in 2010.

2010 and Up TV Wiring Diagram.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:56 PM   #39
gjennings
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22840
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
My coax splitter is attached to the overhead behind the plumbing convenience center cover.

PS: If you will add your model information to your signature it will help us answer questions.

Boy they sure leave it a mess behind there. For what they charge for these rigs they could at least dress the cables in better.
Not full timers yet but soon
gjennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:30 PM   #40
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. John Kohl View Post
Pre 09/10 model

From 2009/2010 model

thanks. I just posted about figuring this out on our 2008 3400RL. That diagram will help.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote