Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
Frame Flex Update

Well been in contact with Keystone and they recommended that I take our 3800RE back to the dealer for repairs again, I was not satisfied with that answer, what are they going to do different the second time around but do the So called Field Repair that did not work the first time. I got the number for the area rep and he said it needed to go back to the plant where Keystone and Lippert can work together and come up with a solution, now that's what I want to hear.

Next week we will be taking it down to Pendleton Or. which is only 45 miles away, and they also said they would get right on it. At that time I will ask what they think they will do differently for a cure. Will keep all updated on the out come.....

Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There is another member here with a 3800RE. They too have had the "Field Repair" performed on their rig and now (after under 2,000 miles) it has failed again. Keystone is hauling their Montana to Pendleton for repairs. I am sure they will be asking what is different this time.

In my case, Keystone shipped a new driver's side wall to Pendleton which they installed in my 3700RL. So far it is still holding after 4,000 +/- miles although there is signs of some movement. If mine fails again I will be very disappointed!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Really truly wish someone could figure out why this is happening. We have a lot of good engineers out there that has to have a clue on what's going on. This has been going on for way to many yrs. to have not found a fix for it. Even todays units are still having this happen. This has to be a huge headache for the factory, the dealers, and the laborers. And the owners also.

I must also say this once again, this is not just one manufacturer, it's most of them. As in Lippert frames!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:58 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I think the answer is pretty straight forward if you look back at the longer older fivers of say the Excel, Travel Supreme, and Hitchhiker era. (yes I know a couple of these are still in business) The frames were way beefier ... and the unit weighed way more. IMHO ... it's all about today's cost to build and how much weight today's fiver owner is willing to accept when shopping for new.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
You would think a hard look at putting a couple of proper expansion joints or bracing in the right places during frame construction would be a straightforward fix.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:50 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Hope it goes well for you at the factory. We've had major work done by the Customer Service Center in Goshen and they were profession, timely and got things fixed right the first time. Hope you have the same experience out west.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We asked the Lippert rep at the fall rally two direct questions. 1. who specs out the frames. Answer the manufacturer and Lippert engineers get together and come up with the spec's. 2. What is the failure rate on the Lippert frames. Answer Lippert warranty records indicate a less than 1.5% failure rate. Of course that is warranty records ,Failures that occurred out of warranty and repaired out of warranty will not show.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Rich, is 1.5% a lot? Or is that considered acceptable?
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Flymutt

Rich, is 1.5% a lot? Or is that considered acceptable?
Lippert makes thousands upon thousands of frames. I really do not know what is acceptable in the industry or any industry for that matter.. That is about 15 frames per 1000.Seems like a lot to me????
Old 10-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's definitely one too many if it happens to you.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
The figure of 1.5% must be acceptable to them or they would fix it. Just the cost of doing business I guess. But as Dick says, it's one to many when it happens to you and you happen to only own that for a home. Fulltiming and that don't work well at all.
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
In my Oppion. its the way that the frames are being manufactured most of the earlier frames were constructed out of chanel or I beam steel. Lippert uses flat iron that has been bent into chanel and two pieces are welded back to back, I dont think that this will ever be as strong as real I beam the only thing its good for is less weight, it will also flex a lot more than a real I beam or chanel iron.
You also have the other factor and that is your tires and springs your Monty is sitting on that is your biggest flex that you have make them rigid and you will get rid of most of your frame flex.
This is my way of thinking it will not be in snopes.com either.LOL
Old 10-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
We took ours to the Pendleton plant in July 2011 for a frame flex problem. They had us in and out in 1.5 days and we were able to visit the repair facility while they had the front end opened up so we could see what they were doing to correct the problem. We also had some other issues with the rig, all of which they took care of while we were there. We have not had any re-occurrence of the the frame problem to date. If you have other issues, I would recommend you get in touch with your point of contact in Pendleton to let them know what they are so they can have the parts there when you show up.

Jack
Old 10-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
We had to have the field repair done twice. Once by the dealer and once by the Service Center. So far it is holding.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
Thanks all for the response, it is finally going in this Friday, they will not give me a contact persons name in Pendleton, rather the gal in Goshen told me that she is the contact person, we will see once it gets to Pendleton...Will keep you posted on the repairs as I will be not only asking them how they are going to solve the problem but also want to look at the repairs done before they put it back together...keep your fingers crossed
Old 12-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #16
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Well...needless to say I am keeping the fingers and toes crossed that we see no issues with our 3800RE. It has been a year and 4 months since we picked up our montana at Camping World of Southern Alabama. Haven't noticed anything out of place outside or inside the rig so far. We did upgrade to the med duty commercial truck tires/wheels at the one year timeframe when we lost two marathons within days on the same trip as well as one shear spring on the drivers side of monty. It would be interesting to know what was experienced on the 3800RE that started this thread. Thanks, john
Old 12-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #17
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

Well...needless to say I am keeping the fingers and toes crossed that we see no issues with our 3800RE. It has been a year and 4 months since we picked up our montana at Camping World of Southern Alabama. Haven't noticed anything out of place outside or inside the rig so far. We did upgrade to the med duty commercial truck tires/wheels at the one year timeframe when we lost two marathons within days on the same trip as well as one shear spring on the drivers side of monty. It would be interesting to know what was experienced on the 3800RE that started this thread. Thanks, john
Hi John: There have been quite a few different Montana models with the same frame flex issue, what usually shows up first is the molding along the bottom edge of the goose neck area starts to show some movement, then inside the front wardrobe cabinet starts pulling apart due to the floor being pushed up from below, also buckling the panel between the wardrobe and drawers causing it to crack near the bottom.

There was a field repair that Keystone sent out to the dealers for a repair to fix this issue, and some of us have had it happen again. As mentioned our trailer was taken to the Keystone plant in Pendleton or. and the repair that was made there was some welding in the propane tank area, not quite sure what that is going to solve, and also the 2 cross members behind the hitch were welded together, kinda makes me wonder why if this is suppose to fix the problem, why did they not do it in the first place. We are leaving for AZ. the first part of January, so we will see what happens.

One other thing I forgot to mention is also the slide frame was pulling apart when it is hooked up to the tv, the area is behind the rubber wiper seal toward the front of the slide on the bottom corner. I hope you have continued luck with your 3800, cause for a few of us this has been a very frustrating experience and of course a major safety issue for me...
Old 12-24-2013, 03:16 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Haven't noticed anything out of place outside or inside the rig so far. We did upgrade to the med duty commercial truck tires/wheels at the one year timeframe when we lost two marathons within days on the same trip as well as one shear spring on the drivers side of monty. It would be interesting to know what was experienced on the 3800RE that started this thread. Thanks, john"

Excuse me but isnt' that something out of place outside or inside???
Old 12-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #19
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Thanks for the note on where to look on the 3800RE. Hope that yours is solved this time...or at least you see no more issues. As for my blowouts and the shear spring that was totally delaminated on one side, Rich, yeah I guess you could say that this was something out of place on the outside...but considering the fact that the tires were Marathons one would more likely associate the blowouts to the tires more than as a result of any flex. All I know at this point is that I am running on really stout tires...they run way cooler and the montana isn't moving up and down so much as before...and I feel better on that issue. If we had the better Lippert frames under our Montanas, we would also have higher empty weights that required better rated tires than what we get. Sometimes I get bummed out reading about all the issues, but at the same time...at least I am better prepared to deal with what comes my way. By the way Rich, I never had any tank issues on my motorhome where the tanks were fully supported in the Freightliner chassis. And so far, none on my 3800 after 1 year and 4 months of full time usage...but I don't carry any fresh water in that tank, don't carry the spare tire under the rear of monty, and never travel with anything in the other tanks. John
Old 12-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We never had a tank failure in any of our previous 4 Rv's all travel trailers and all different brands. We have had 7 failures in our two Montana's.5 in the 06 and two in this 13 3402. The first failure in the 3402 was at 17 months. Remember these tank failed when stationary at our winter residence. Yes we did let the gray and galley fill tank when stationary they are holding tanks.