Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2024, 07:48 AM   #1
Blueblir
Established Member

M.O.C. #33057
Generator storage

I have 3250 without the generator prep package. Hence, no room in the nose to store the generator when traveling. I can put the generator in the very front of the truck bed, but because the camper electrical port is in the back left corner my cable won't reach it. In order to get the generator in and out of the truck I have to remove my hitch every time.

Where does everyone else keep the generator for easy plug in access? Easy loading and unloading?

Or do I just need to find a longer cable? If I do that I still have the issue of loading and unloading the generator every time we camp.

Any ideas, or suggestions?

Blueblir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 08:01 AM   #2
Pa_5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20027
Good morning,
We have 2 Honda 2000 watt inverter generators hooked on parallel. We keep them chained in the bed of the truck. We use a Pull Rite 2600 and can maneuver around it somewhat easily. The Hondas are only about 47#.
Pa_5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 08:24 AM   #3
Blueblir
Established Member

M.O.C. #33057
My generator is over 100lbs so definitely cumbersome to move around. Thanks for your quick response
Old 04-06-2024, 08:57 AM   #4
Rotnjonny
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32150
Have you considered the possibility of adding a transfer switch and an additional plug to the front? That would allow you to use the existing cable and you could run the generator while in the bed of the truck assuming proper ventilation and heat control
Rotnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I put a receptacle in the front of my camper. You haft to be careful with that now because all new portable generators have a CO shut off and probably won’t run in the front of your truck. If you look on line you may be able to find a work around that. For My new Predator I made an aluminum box to put the CO sensor in so it wouldn’t shut the generator off.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 09:32 AM   #6
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Here's an idea from a MOC member.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221003_162151261_HDR.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	16784   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221003_162228127_HDR.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	16785  
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2024, 10:46 AM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Adding a front plug in is the common solution. Makes it easy to use the generator in the bed of the truck, even when running down the road (running the AC to keep the camper cool). A fan running off the generator will provide enough air circulation to negate any CO sensor issues. Neither my Honda 2000 or Predator 3500 have any problems running in the bed of the truck.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 11:06 AM   #8
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Shane,

The back rack that Tony showed is a good way to go. Always best to unload it and get it away from the rig to reduce noise and vibration.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 11:39 AM   #9
Blueblir
Established Member

M.O.C. #33057
If I found a cargo tray that fit in the rear hitch on my truck similar to this one, would that work and still allow for tight turns with my 5th wheel camper? If the tray were just big enough to hold the generator? I have the same generator as the one in the picture.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:40 AM   #10
Blueblir
Established Member

M.O.C. #33057
I am definitely not an electrician. Is adding the transfer switch fairly easy?
Old 04-06-2024, 11:45 AM   #11
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblir View Post
If I found a cargo tray that fit in the rear hitch on my truck similar to this one, would that work and still allow for tight turns with my 5th wheel camper? If the tray were just big enough to hold the generator? I have the same generator as the one in the picture.
I would not carry the genny on a tray on the truck - put it on your trailer.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 12:03 PM   #12
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I have an Cummins' Onan 4500. It weighs 106 pounds dry. Add 4 gallons of fuel and oil and it's even more. And, I have 2 of them for full 50 amp service.

I carry mine inside the camper. We've removed the kitchen table and chairs and use that space for everything else, except eating at. When traveling, the generators are put in the middle of the floor as far forward as possible. When parked, they are put on that slide out. They are out of the way.

When we need them, I carry a ramp and can get them inside and outside the camper door alone, without assistance. When they are running, they are under the King Pin area and I use the same cord I plug into shore power with. It's long enough to reach from the end to the front of the camper.

I've shared my method before and got jumped on for traveling and keeping the generators inside the living area by folks on these forums. But, never has there been a gas smell. Never has there been an oil leak or smell. Never has there been a carbon burning (exhaust smoke smell) inside the camper when they are stored there.

Depending on where we are camped, I sometimes just leave them outside under the King Pin area, but that is rare. (again, it depends on where we are camped).

I can carry both in the bed of my truck. One on each side nearest the tail gate. There is sufficient room to travel with them there, and being under the trailer and with the tail gate locked, it would be pretty hard for theft to happen. But, I just feel better knowing they are completely out-of-sight. That's why they are inside the camper.

Here's how I get them in and out....

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 12:12 PM   #13
Blueblir
Established Member

M.O.C. #33057
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I have an Cummins' Onan 4500. It weighs 106 pounds dry. Add 4 gallons of fuel and oil and it's even more. And, I have 2 of them for full 50 amp service.

I carry mine inside the camper. We've removed the kitchen table and chairs and use that space for everything else, except eating at. When traveling, the generators are put in the middle of the floor as far forward as possible. When parked, they are put on that slide out. They are out of the way.

When we need them, I carry a ramp and can get them inside and outside the camper door alone, without assistance. When they are running, they are under the King Pin area and I use the same cord I plug into shore power with. It's long enough to reach from the end to the front of the camper.

I've shared my method before and got jumped on for traveling and keeping the generators inside the living area by folks on these forums. But, never has there been a gas smell. Never has there been an oil leak or smell. Never has there been a carbon burning (exhaust smoke smell) inside the camper when they are stored there.

Depending on where we are camped, I sometimes just leave them outside under the King Pin area, but that is rare. (again, it depends on where we are camped).

I can carry both in the bed of my truck. One on each side nearest the tail gate. There is sufficient room to travel with them there, and being under the trailer and with the tail gate locked, it would be pretty hard for theft to happen. But, I just feel better knowing they are completely out-of-sight. That's why they are inside the camper.

Here's how I get them in and out....

I have the westinghouse house version of that very generator. When you did put them in the truck near the tailgate, I assume there were no clearance issues between them and the camper?
Old 04-06-2024, 01:00 PM   #14
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Dutch where did you get that ramp?
Old 04-06-2024, 03:30 PM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Carl does your generators have a CO sensor?
If they do this would be really good information for people to know.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 04:27 PM   #16
Blueblir
Established Member

M.O.C. #33057
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
I would not carry the genny on a tray on the truck - put it on your trailer.
When I take my sxs I pull doubles ans in order to keep the weight of the second trailer to a bare minimum the generator won't fit on that trailer. Machine takes up most of the trailer. Otherwise I could just lock it to the sxs trailer and no issue. If we don't have the sxs it would be super easy to install the rack on the back of the trailer

Just exploring options to dry camp and enjoy it as we have gotten used to rv parks.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:43 PM   #17
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Carl does your generators have a CO sensor? .....
The Honda 2000i is 15 years old and I doubt it has a CO sensor. I run it in the truck bed all the time.

The HF Predator 3500 is a different story. I had one from three years ago that I ran in the truck bed without a problem. But it went belly up this past summer (as HF products are want to do) and was replaced with a brand new one under warranty. That one is on a rack on the rear of the RV now. But i was next to member 8.1al in Quartzsite this winter and he ran his year+ old HF 3500 in the truck bed with a sheet of plywood over it to protect from the rain.

Old 04-06-2024, 05:56 PM   #18
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Assuming you have a hitch on the rear that is adequate for the load. using a rear rack is not a problem when turning. Obviously it does increase the length of your RV when parking or on a ferry.

The one disadvantage of running the generator on a rear rack is that its vibration and noise (to some extent) are passed on to the RV. Putting the genny on the ground or the back of the truck eliminates the vibration problem.

Quote:
I am definitely not an electrician. Is adding the transfer switch fairly easy?
It is not difficult to do if you are somewhat handy. You will have to drill a hole in the RV and run some wire. A number of members have done this and there are Posts on their efforts. Here is one example. Just do a Search on something like "front 50 amp plug" (or variants)

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=77110

Old 04-07-2024, 03:34 AM   #19
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
The additional front plug in is on my TODO list. Hope to get it done this year. Our rig is in Elkhart for repairs right now, so maybe when we get it back.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 06:07 AM   #20
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We carry a 50A extension cord. It has come in useful over the years. It would reach the front of your truck bed.
We carry our generators on a rear hitch carrier. We use a parallel kit and and a 10' 30A cord I made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator TT-30 to NEMA SS2-50R adapter.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	555.0 KB
ID:	16791  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator