Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2018, 11:20 PM   #1
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
I am Desperate! Need Help!

I do not know where to turn! I have a serious problem with my 2013 Montana 3582RL.

Whenever I hookup my Montana to my pickup truck (apply weight to the hitch pin) I get separation on the curve near the bulkhead causing a separation near the trim. I cannot keep it caulked there, it keeps pulling the caulk apart. When the Montana weight is on the landing gears, all looks normal.

I have gone to a repair shop, who removed the front filon per Lippert's instructions and did inspect the frame/chassis and found no broken welds, but they could not explain the movement.

I have contacted Keystone, spoke with a technician there, but I am getting no movement from them.

I have taken a short video of this movement from the outside view, and I took a video from inside the LP tank compartment looking forward.

I need help. I cannot use my Montana like this in fear of severe water damage. I sure could use some help. Please watch the videos.

This video is looking at the movement from the outside on the entrance side of the Montana. There is NO movement on the other side of the Montana.

This video is looking forward from inside the LP tank compartment. I have drawn a line at the vertical seam to make the movement easier to see. The wall to the left of the vertical seam is the bulkhead, and the wall to the right is the exterior wall on the entrance side of the RV.

Please! I sure could use some help.

leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:28 AM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
You may want to add your hitch information and what you have added weight wise i.e washer dryer, generator, battery bank.....
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:26 AM   #3
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
You may want to take a look at this thread of mine from 18 months ago. Mine was a new '16 when it happened, but very similar. Ours had to go back to the factory. But with yours being a '13, one of the Lippert techs may be your best bet as the aluminum cage has probably broken as it goes across over and behind the pinbox where the frame turns out towards the truck, above the front compartment.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ighlight=frame
Old 04-03-2018, 03:55 AM   #4
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
You may want to add your hitch information and what you have added weight wise i.e washer dryer, generator, battery bank.....
Sir, I don't have a weight of items that I have loaded, but basically she is bare bones right now. The heaviest thing I have added is the satellite dish on the roof. No washer/dryer, battery is a basic 12 volt. Even the basement is not full.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:57 AM   #5
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
You may want to take a look at this thread of mine from 18 months ago. Mine was a new '16 when it happened, but very similar. Ours had to go back to the factory. But with yours being a '13, one of the Lippert techs may be your best bet as the aluminum cage has probably broken as it goes across over and behind the pinbox where the frame turns out towards the truck, above the front compartment.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ighlight=frame
Sir, I just had that area inspected. They removed the filon and inspected all around the pin box. They said everything was fine. They even used a fork lift to put weight on the pin box.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:19 AM   #6
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
YOU HAVE FLEXING!!!!!

either find a repair shop who can do the repair or get to the sept rally and push montana to take it in.
We had flexing on our last two.

Email me if questions, those are your only options.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:55 AM   #7
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemedic View Post
Sir, I just had that area inspected. They removed the filon and inspected all around the pin box. They said everything was fine. They even used a fork lift to put weight on the pin box.
Please fully read Golfmedics ordeal, either here or on Ford Truck Enthusiasts website. This frame flexing/weld failures is a known problem with several brands using Lippert built frames, moreso on earlier units.

You can also access Lippert's frame flex check measuring criteria on the net as well
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:56 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
YOU HAVE FLEXING!!!!!

either find a repair shop who can do the repair or get to the sept rally and push montana to take it in.

X2! Good bottom line advice.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:02 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Your frame is breaking up. It was more problem than today but you will haft to get it fixed.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:12 AM   #10
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
YOU HAVE FLEXING!!!!!

Where is the rally this September
Old 04-03-2018, 07:13 AM   #11
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Frame Flexing

YUP!! I have the exact same issue. 2013 3100 RL. I had it checked at the Fall Rally by the service techs and they said no flex and put more screws in it. They also checked the driver's side OFF THE TRUCK as it set. I left the rally and got down the road about 2 hours and stopped for lunch. I usually do a WALK AROUND before leaving and when I checked the driver's side, I found the separation they said was not there. Working on it now as we speak.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:35 AM   #12
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullroc3 View Post
YUP!! I have the exact same issue. 2013 3100 RL. I had it checked at the Fall Rally by the service techs and they said no flex and put more screws in it. They also checked the driver's side OFF THE TRUCK as it set. I left the rally and got down the road about 2 hours and stopped for lunch. I usually do a WALK AROUND before leaving and when I checked the driver's side, I found the separation they said was not there. Working on it now as we speak.
Please keep me updated. I am also working on it.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:05 AM   #13
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Goshen, Indiana. If you have never been, it is a MUST at least once.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ment.php?f=350
Old 04-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #14
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullroc3 View Post
Goshen, Indiana. If you have never been, it is a MUST at least once.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ment.php?f=350
Thanks. Never been there, I just signed us up for the rally. We will be there.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #15
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
You have something coming apart in there some were you need to get some one how knows what to look for ether in the aluminum wall or the frame it self!

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW CC LB 4x4

Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #16
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We had a severe problem of the frame movement a couple years ago. Turned out to be a broken frame. We ended up finding a local mobile RV repair guy who was also a good welder, and he came to the park we were at to make the repairs. Our frame was broken on the road side, forward of the propane tank. In the photo, circled is the frame component that was completely broken, and the arrow points to where the only weld was on the gusset plate, which had failed. Since the repairs, the frame does not flex at all. While the Filon was down, we also removed the pin box to check that area, and he spent some time grinding and welding where existing welds had failed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame welding repair.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	1456  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #17
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Still need suggestions

Well, I am still trying to resolve this frame flex on my 2013 Montana. I have an appointment with Camping World next month. Do I spend the money and let them try to find the issue, or do I wait until September and see if Keystone will take a look at it during our rally?

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:15 PM   #18
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
lee, call me. 9893022725 ed and sandie. lets talk. 3 montanas, 3 flexing issues
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:46 PM   #19
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We had our 2009 unit at the rally last year and ours was positive and fixed by Keystone. We where very pleased with the work.. left with a better unit than we came with. The only way to verify frame flex is for Keystone to measure it. Be preoared to stay else where while they have it if it needs fixed. It took 4 days. Most motel it during that time. Glad you signed up for the rally and good luck! They treated us well. Hope the same for you.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #20
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
You definitely have "frame flex" and you need to contact Keystone Customer Service and see if you can get a file started on it. Unless Camping World down there have some very good service techs that know what they are looking for and know how to weld, both steel and aluminum, you might as well cancel that appointment. From what I've had experience with CW and their service departments, they will not know what to look for or do. They HAVE TO remove the front nose and check all the welds in there and on the frame in that area also. Most do not know what to look for and it could be in the shop for months. If you call Keystone Customer Service and explain the situation you might be able to take it up to Goshen before that and have the "experts" check it out and fix it. Good luck, keep us posted on how things turn out and see you in Goshen in September!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote