Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
3725 jack question

We bit the bullet and ordered a 3725 which could be here by the end of next month. I am wondering if the hydraulic leveling system is robust enough to take the weight off of the suspension when parked for long periods?

hosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Sure, but why? The suspension will not go flat just being parked. If it is sturdy enough to handle the beating they take rolling down the miserable roads in the USA, just being parked will not cause any damage. No sense risking damage to the hydraulics, which is way more expensive to repair than the suspension.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
When we picked ours up in July, the dealer told us not to store with the levelers down.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Those of us who full time spend most of our time with the weight off the suspensions and it works just fine.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
This one will be set up for use so it will be on the jacks. I will only allow it to steady the rv and will not unload the suspension more than necessary to get level and solid on the ground. Thanx all for sharing you experience with me.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:20 AM   #6
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
"When we picked ours up in July, the dealer told us not to store with the levelers down."

Sounds like another 'dealer story' for certain. Wonder what the number of totally dumb things they've said to people is?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
I think the advice to not store with the levelers extended is based on ultra-long time frame where the hydraulic rams would be susceptible to corrosion from non-use for long periods, not that it is beyond the capabilities of the system to hold up the weight of the 5er, or being bad for the frame.

You need to cycle the rams on a regular basis (especially so in coastal areas) to keep them lubed up with hydraulic oil so they don't get pitted or corroded, and damage the seals. If that happens, then you will have problems with leaking and maintaining the rig in a level position. .....and for those that will say to leave them extended and just apply lube to the rams while extended, there will be an area right at the top of the wiper seal that will still become a problem if allowed to build up a hard ring of solids stuck to the ram.

You need to cycle the rams to keep the system in tip-top shape. The schedule that you adopt is up to you to decide on, but I would say at least once every two weeks.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
From the Lippert owners manual, the following is recommended:

5. If jacks are down for extended periods, it is recommended to spray exposed leveling jack rods with a silicone lubricant every seven days for protection. If your coach is located in a salty environment, it is recommended to spray the rods every 2 to 3 days.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:08 AM   #9
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Hydraulics are also not absolutely perfectly sealed. In time, a ram will settle, just from leakage past the main seal on the piston inside. Ask any hydraulic service person about that. While it might take days or even weeks, eventually the rams will settle, and then the trailer will need re-leveling. All hydraulic service people will also advise to cycle rams once in a while to keep a coating of oil in the inside parts as well, so you don't get a "stuck" situation. Just like a car engine piston, if left in one place long enough, it will get stuck there. It could take a long time, but it will happen.

By the way, welcome to the "thirty seven and a quarter" owners group. We're really enjoying ours. Already have done some mods. Just ask if you would like to know what.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
TAKPAK, I have never owned anything that did not receive modifications. We have yet to make a trip with this trailer but we have added LED lights to all of the outside compartments switched so that any door turns them all on. We added LED strips to the step area and to the rear of the trailer wired to the porch light so one can see to walk around the trailer at night. The tail and back up lights were changed out to LEDs for a brighter behind. One of the recliners went away to make room for a desk (the only serious shortfall of this coach that we have yet found). The landing gear cylinders were raised more than four inches to get ground clearance. The left hand storage door located behind the big pass thru compartment was turned upside down to get it out of the way when open. The fifth wheel hitch stayed with the dealer and was replaced with a Goose Box so it would connect to my goose neck ball in the bed of the pickup. The release cable on the Goose Box was nearly unreachable so it was extended to the rear of the mount. A hanger was installed on the rear of the mount to hang the light and breakaway cable on when not in use. The TV tie down straps were padded so the buckles would not be rubbing on the screen. We have added Dish TV satellite to the TV's so we can watch and record favorite shows while on the road. A four inch memory foam pad was added to the original king mattress in hopes that we will be comfortable.

All this and we have not yet spent a night in the trailer. I am wondering what will be next?
Old 11-18-2014, 06:00 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
hosssmith- you might want to contact Lippert and find out if they will honor the warranty on the frame since you changed the hitch from the fifth wheel hitch to a gooseneck hitch. The front frame on the units is no way as "beefy" as a gooseneck trailer. Watch real closely at the joints of the front cap outer skin! If you see any of them start to separate, even a little, when you hook up you will have "frame-flex" and that is not good! A gooseneck puts a lot more pressure on the hitch and front cap frame than a fifth wheel hitch. Do a search on the Search Engine at the top of the page and see what you come up with concerning gooseneck hitches.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:38 AM   #12
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Rondo is correct. If you need to pull goose neck trailers like I do then put the B&W turnover hitch on your truck and the 5th wheel companion hitch that they make for it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:56 AM   #13
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Putting a goose neck hitch adapter on the Lippert frame is a really bad idea.

The extra couple feet of leverage to twist the hitch mount area is a problem waiting to happen.

I can "garontee" Lippert will deny any frame claim when you submit.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:49 AM   #14
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
The simple answer to the question is yes, the jacks are capable of lifting your rig off of the ground. As everyone else says that's probably not a good idea for long periods of time. We will periodically fully extend our jacks to lubricate the full length of the rams, then we return to level. Also, with temperature changes, the hydraulic fluid expands and contracts. Each time this happens there will be a pop and slight movement of the trailer. We question the possible adverse effect that could occur with movement over long periods of time.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #15
Annaoinga
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15850
We also have a 3725 - got it a couple weeks ago. We tested it out the night we got it since it was a 9 hr drive to get it. We found a couple little things that they fixed before we drove it home.

Would love to add some LED lights if you will share how you did it please!!

Hope you enjoy it !! I can't wait to go back out in ours again!!

The bed is awful so you willl be ahead of us since you added the mattress pad. I slept on the couch the second night since I was so sore after the first night....

Annaoinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #16
Annaoinga
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15850
Oh, I forgot our dealer told us you can actually lift the fiver up to change the tires with the jacks. You probably already know that.....
Annaoinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #17
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Welcome to the "3725 Club". We just love ours and have been fulltime in it for over a year now. So far no complaints! We have added a few things to it with a few more to come. We agree the bed is terrible so we changed it out for a Select Comfort Sleep Number bed, Much Better!! We just finished a 5700 mile trip across the country to see our kids and it has been just wonderful traveling with it. We think it is the best floor plan IMHO.

Highly recommend you change out the tires to G-614's, it is a heavy unit!!

Wishing you many happy and safe miles and adventures!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:14 AM   #18
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
The dealer that sold me the trailer checked with Montana and they told him that the Goose Box was the only gooseneck hitch that would not void the warranty. Warranties are fine I suppose but I am much more interested in life after that expires because I don't trade vehicles without good reason.

I have the B&W goose neck hitch which means nothing sticking up from the floor of the bed when the ball is inverted or removed account I just can't have a fifth wheel and it's associated mountings in the way. My former Montana was just fine with a standard goose neck conversion but this trailer is so much heavier that I have been wondering what I am in for over the long haul with any hitch.

My former 3/4 ton pickup (223,000 miles on a Duramax) was quite inadequate to handle the hitch weight of this unit which forced me to replace it with a one ton pickup. I wasn't in the mood to buy a new pickup or ride around in a one ton (single rear wheels) pickup when not towing a trailer but there was no choice. Fortunately I could transfer the 3/4 ton to my shop manager and not waste the pickup and I was only out the cost of a new pickup and rigging it up which was considerable and unexpected. I am one of those oddballs that prefers to wear out vehicles and not trade them just for the expense of it. Here everything runs until it is no longer economical to maintain or it is no longer needed or adequate for the job at hand.

I would certainly like to hear from anyone with Goose Box experience in general and experience with a heavy trailer such as this 3725 in particular.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:39 AM   #19
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new 3725RL. I agree with everything PackerFan said, especially about your tires. I had the dealer change them out for Goodyear G614's prior to taking delivery. Your dealer should still be able to make that switch for a discounted cost to you.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:04 AM   #20
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
First of all Welcome to the MOC family.

I have always though the front landing gear pads were fairly low to the ground compared to any other 5er we have had. Not that we have had any clearance problems thus far, I was curious about you post:

"The landing gear cylinders were raised more than four inches to get ground clearance."

Is this something that many others have done???
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote