Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #21
thundercat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1405
Another possible problem instead of an open neutral is an ungrounded neutral. With this condition the voltage will float up and down with the loads between the two hot legs.

thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:11 PM   #22
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

A grounded neutral will result in a “ground Loop” just as dangerous as an open natural.

The grounding system is like a tree, it has one point at which it is grounded commonly at the power source for the system being used no other point is grounded resulting in a wiring drawing looking like a tree with the branches sticking out without touching the ground. This is done at the meter pole or the power company’s pole. Grounding the system in a second location results in a “ground Loop” that can generate voltage as high as 200V on the ground in a 220V service.

If there is a problem in the park system that causes voltage surge the Surge Guard will shut the circuit to the trailer off before damage is done both for low and high voltage.

The OP reported his meter “pegged out at 135V” the Surge Guard should have shut the power to the trailer off at about 130V.

So the conclusion is either the Surge Guard is not working or they have an open neutral in the circuit after the Surge Guard.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:12 AM   #23
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I had a surge protector I got as a gift from some friends after I retired from the company (I got a lot of other things, too). After I learned what little it does, it is back in the box, somewhere in the garage because I didn't want to go through the trouble of installing it for what little it provided (it was the kind that installs inline).

It will protect the rig only from a short duration high spike. It cannot detect a 135v sustained voltage and this occurrence can damage a whole lotta stuff in the rig. The surge protector does check other electrical conditions, but I use a meter when something is suspect.

A proper EMS would be best since it is constantly monitoring and protecting your electricity.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:25 PM   #24
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

I had a surge protector I got as a gift from some friends after I retired from the company (I got a lot of other things, too). After I learned what little it does, it is back in the box, somewhere in the garage because I didn't want to go through the trouble of installing it for what little it provided (it was the kind that installs inline).

It will protect the rig only from a short duration high spike. It cannot detect a 135v sustained voltage and this occurrence can damage a whole lotta stuff in the rig. The surge protector does check other electrical conditions, but I use a meter when something is suspect.

A proper EMS would be best since it is constantly monitoring and protecting your electricity.
Hi

I think you need to clarify this statement.

Surge Guard does make units that well protect the RV for all of the events any top of the line EMS will.

Please provide the model number of the unit you are talking about.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote