Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2014, 04:51 AM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Bad Neighbors

Had a younger couple take the spot across from us last week. They had a older SOB fiver about 38-40' long pulling it with a dually. Oklahoma plates on both and they seemed to stay gone every day in the truck, so we never really had a chance to say hello.

The park is laid out with clearly marked one-way roads. Right from day one they went the wrong way down the first two streets to get to their lot, which saved them about 5 seconds. They did the same thing when they left, going the wrong way. Every time they let their puppy out on a chain and he did his "deposit" they just left it there.

About the 3rd or 4th night they were here we had 30-40mph winds. After dark the DW looks out and informs me that they have a campfire going. I step outside and sure enough they have a roaring fire in their pit, which is only 30' from the side of my Montana. The lots are completely covered with leaves and sparks are flying all over. They are tucked inside their fiver leaving this roaring fire unattended!

I fill up a bucket with water, walk over to their campfire and put it out. After coming back in I kept an eye out and they never did come out to check on the fire.

Today they finally hooked up and pulled out. They left a huge mess on their site. There are several concrete blocks, two five gallon buckets with lids, a wood box, bunch of cardboard, and some old pieces of wood. Plus all the dog crap laying around.

These are exactly the type of RVers that give us all a bad name.

I called my buddy who works part time maintenance here and asked him if he observed the mess they left (his site was on the other side of them). He said he did. He laughed and said no problem they could clean it up in the morning. I asked him why he thought it was funny because I would be mad if I were him. He said because when he watched them pull out their left rear trailer tire was flat and they didn't know it!

I guess what goes around comes around. It is 26 degrees and lightly snowing, not a good day to get down the road and figure out you have a flat.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:59 AM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Maybe, just maybe there is some justice in the world.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:04 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Flat tire! What a shame.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:07 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
It is much better for your health, physical and mental, to look at the lighter side of things and laugh than to focus on the bad and fret about it. In the grand scheme of things most of it is meaningless anyway.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #5
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Hate slob campers, also hate people that would allow a trailer that is unsafe, and could have notified the owner, to pull out on the highway and endanger the couple and anyone else on the highway. Sorry, bad karma or not, wrong thing to do.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
I do not know how many of you volunteer at parks. We do quite a bit. I used to get mad when someone left a campsite in a mess or threw trash all over. Then, I got to thinking. Yes, thinking does still give me headaches. But, if it weren't for slobs and other oinks, there would be no need for volunteers to pick up after them. I would not get to stay at some of the prettiest places in the US for nothing, but picking up after slobs a few hours a week. So, if you are a volunteer, be thankful for slobs
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you have a job working with the public you can't help but have to deal with folks like that. You're not going to change them, so the best thing for your own sanity is to laugh and move on. As to the tire, it's a bad assumption that they weren't told. That type of folks can be told and decide they'll just drag it home and deal with it later. Been there and done that.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #8
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Sorry Dick, not an assumption, specifically stated "They didn't know it"
Old 11-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Occasionally (though somewhat rare), I've run across people who just don't understand things, such as campground etiquette. I'll usually say something, and depending on the response, will take it from there. The rare ones who appreciate the info or suggestions get more help. The rest get what they deserve.

You know what they say about Karma.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
There are more and more of these types. I starting to have issue with "Toy Hauler" crowd. Hate to pass judgment on fellow campers, but starting your toys up at 7:00 is a bit much. Seems these guys forget common sense in congested RV campground. Maintenance and engine tuning, along with excessive rev's! Guys with couple hundred grand worth of rigs and toys. Most have lseveral kids, riding their toys. Saw a couple with four boys, letting them ride "electric mini bikes"! 40 mph models in hands of 8 year olds, lose in the park, scaring pants off people. Just saying sometimes the idiots are successful and clueless!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Another good reason we work for Fish and Wildlife. Campers around us are very responsible and controlled.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:59 AM   #12
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grayghost03

Hate slob campers, also hate people that would allow a trailer that is unsafe, and could have notified the owner, to pull out on the highway and endanger the couple and anyone else on the highway. Sorry, bad karma or not, wrong thing to do.
He went around removing wheel chocks and concrete blocks from his jack stands, either he was too stupid to see the flat or he just did not care. Either way I am glad my 65 year old buddy did not decide to try to physically run down the road in at attempt to warn this idiot. At some point in time folks have to take responsibility for their own actions.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:06 AM   #13
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We've seen more and more of these types. Seems like individual responsibility is no longer a priority with many.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:17 AM   #14
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
And helping your neighbor, seem to be falling out of favor also. I find it amazing that when people see a problem, they complain about it, but not to the people, that have a unsafe fire, or policing their area, be it dog or human mess. Step up and remind me them of the policy. If you don't want the confrontation get park management involved. Nothing was occomplished handled the way it was.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:42 AM   #15
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:

And helping your neighbor, seem to be falling out of favor also. I find it amazing that when people see a problem, they complain about it, but not to the people, that have a unsafe fire, or policing their area, be it dog or human mess. Step up and remind me them of the policy. If you don't want the confrontation get park management involved. Nothing was occomplished handled the way it was.
My only advise would be that if you constantly "step up and remind them of the policy" it is only a matter of time before you will be visiting the emergency room with a broken nose. Good luck with that.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #16
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Bring it up to park management, you have paid for a certain quality of park. Hold them to it. If you are staying in parks with NO policies. Well....... If someone is interfering with our enjoyment, I will address it. Have my whole life, haven't been to the ER yet.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #17
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

Quote:

My only advise would be that if you constantly "step up and remind them of the policy" it is only a matter of time before you will be visiting the emergency room with a broken nose. Good luck with that.
Someone once told me that if I ever lost 100 pounds, there would be a line a mile long of people waiting whup my butt. Well, I'm down by over 90 and no line yet.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #18
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Maybe it's time to look into adults only sections, or parks.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #19
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Joe; I would have done the same thing! Some folks just don't give a darn. Saw this several times hosting the campground this past summer.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #20
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Just Another reason I bought into Membership only Resorts ,this stuff rarely happens when people pay good money for a membership,10 years of part-time and fulltime Rving and we never get these A..Hole's just an occasional family staying up late around a campfire having a good time no big deal,the only time we run into people like this is KOA's State parks etc...