Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2018, 09:07 AM   #1
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
in command

Everybody knows the reliability of Jensen products, especially their dvd players. So how do you feel about the in command center from them. We are looking at a new Montana and to us it looks like it might be a big problem down the road if it fails in the future. Does anyone out there own this setup? and do you like it? What does it do? and is it something that is an option in case we want to opt. out?

Thanks

John And Lisa

Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We opted out by not getting a Legacy edition. There were other reasons also, but this was one for us.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
We opted out by not getting a Legacy edition. There were other reasons also, but this was one for us.
Same for us. Too many potential problems! I don't think even my dealer orders any Legacy units for stock.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We were the opposite and really looked forward to the options of the Legacy package including the in command.

So far we really like the system but mainly use it by having the app on our phones.

We knew we were buying an extended warranty again with thus unit so we feel that any doubts of It's long term reliability is more on the shoulders of our dealer and their extended warranty.

Most every direction you turn nowadays touch pad systems are invading our lives.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
I'm with DarMar, we like the option, we can control everything with a smart phone, very convenient when sitting out at the camp fire, i can put the awning in from outside if the winds pick up, we also have an extended warranty. During my PDI they showed me the panel to operate manually in the basement in case the command center has a problem, though i have not explored it yet, i "trust" he knew what he was talking about. I guess i know what I'm doing this weekend, off to the basement!

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by team bradfield View Post
I'm with DarMar, we like the option, we can control everything with a smart phone, very convenient when sitting out at the camp fire, i can put the awning in from outside if the winds pick up, we also have an extended warranty. During my PDI they showed me the panel to operate manually in the basement in case the command center has a problem, though i have not explored it yet, i "trust" he knew what he was talking about. I guess i know what I'm doing this weekend, off to the basement!
And if it breaks, you can say there is a mutiny on the black pearl, because you are not In Command!!
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
So there are literally no switches or toggles anymore and you control everything from the hot water, slides, black and grey tanks and the awning through the control pad or your phone? does the furnace and air run as usual or is that through the control unit also? Maybe tell me what is NOT controlled by this thing because it sounds like that list is will be shorter. LOL. I did look at the web site. But i just don't know yet. seems everything is becoming smart phone savvy.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #8
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
I like the command center concept but give me manual any day (except for auto leveling of course).
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I take it that the "In Command" system is smart house technology?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #10
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
So there are literally no switches or toggles anymore and you control everything from the hot water, slides, black and grey tanks and the awning through the control pad or your phone? does the furnace and air run as usual or is that through the control unit also? Maybe tell me what is NOT controlled by this thing because it sounds like that list is will be shorter. LOL. I did look at the web site. But i just don't know yet. seems everything is becoming smart phone savvy.
I have this system and like it. It does not control the AC, heat, 110v ceiling fan, tank heaters. There are switches and thermostat for those. It controls all of the 12v lights, water heater, awnings, slides, etc.
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #11
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
So far so good.
Using the phone to control is great so far.
when we packed up last time, trees had shed lots of debris on the slides so i am standing on the roof sweeping the slides and running them in from my phone........handy
awning lights........handy
Starting the A/C going down the road on hot day, before arriving at campground......nice

I could continue, i like
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I guess I'm with the minority here (so far). I do acknowledge some stated advantages, but my neighbor's system failed 3rd time out. Yes there are backup switches in basement, but not well laid out. It took dealer almost 10 days to get the replacement to him ... meanwhile during the rest of the trip ... back and forth outside to the basement to make certain items work. I'll stick with the old switch panel. As for the phone app, not to offend, but my rear isn't cemented to the lawn chair in front of the camper. I like to get up and get some blood circulating.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:58 AM   #13
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
So there are switches after all, that makes me feel a little better knowing that Jensen doesn't have my fiver completely in there hands and i like the idea of running the slides when your on top of the unit and not having to yell to the DW the stop and start. Maybe i need to keep looking at this. dose it come with a remote control or is it just the phone. because there has to be a delay from the phone to the control unit isn't there?
Old 01-17-2018, 06:16 AM   #14
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
So there are switches after all, that makes me feel a little better knowing that Jensen doesn't have my fiver completely in there hands and i like the idea of running the slides when your on top of the unit and not having to yell to the DW the stop and start. Maybe i need to keep looking at this. dose it come with a remote control or is it just the phone. because there has to be a delay from the phone to the control unit isn't there?
No remote included, just the touch pad inside the door.
As far as delay, no not really as the system uses bluetooth rather than cellular.
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #15
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Okay if you want have to get out of your chair, take you phone in with you and then "flick the switch". The tech has been around for a few years in uber expensive motorhomes.
Do I trust that Jensen can make it without failures? Nah. When it breaks will it be a royal pain, you betcha.
Then there is the fun factor. Wife is taking a shower and oops all the lights went out. "but Honey I was not even in the camper!!" Must have popped a breaker. All while sitting at the fire.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:07 PM   #16
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
clearly a divided group, I, for one, embrace technology, the level up system is one of the best inventions in years. We are impressed and happy with the Legacy model, the paint scheme, In Command system and the cord re-winder, no more wrestling that hard snake in cold weather. Bring on all the improvements you can, there is a market.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #17
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
And if it breaks, you can say there is a mutiny on the black pearl, because you are not In Command!!
LOL, you are correct!

Old 01-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #18
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
My 2015 Legacy 3440RL did not have that option. I don't think I would have wanted it anyway.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:29 AM   #19
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
I see it as divided. Ill keep looking at before we decide. Still on the fence weather to stay with a Montana or go SOB. We have had good luck with this unit.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #20
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
What does SOB stand for????
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote